Safety concerns

Carmen1600
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Safety concerns

I booked a two night condo stay with my teenage daughter, new 16 year old.   I went out our first morning there to get breakfast while my daughter was sleeping. We arrived quite late the night before after an 8 hr drive. I was gone about 30 min. While I was gone, the exterminator came into the condo. My daughter said she was awakened by someone knocking. She got up to open the door thinking it was me needing help with the lock. Before getting to the door, a man entered the room. He told her he was the Exterminator. She said to come back later and he left. I reached out to the host explaining my concern for safety and that a simple text or call would have allieviated the problem. The host had my telephone number as we had texted the night before due to a toilet issue.  The host also knew I was traveling with a teen. The host was unable to perceive a safety issue for my daughter or even a liability issue for the Exterminator since he was unacompanied with a minor. The interaction did not end well with the host and I reported my concern to Airbnb. I would like to leave a fair review of an otherwise good place to stay. However, the host lack of awareness of this potential safety risk is alarming. Families should be informed.  

35 Replies 35

This is Mexico City Dimitar, which has a very high crime rate, and security in Mexico City is at minimum, for most apartment buildings, a security door, guard, and/or camera. I am a host too, and I travel the world in Airbnbs, from Vietnam to Serbia and felt safe, but this stay in Mexico City was the unsafest place I've stayed, and it was the host's failing 100%

@Patrick2086  It would be necessary to read the actual review you left in order to know what review violation Airbnb considered it to be. It wouldn't have been removed simply for stating that you felt the property didn't have adequate security and that you were disturbed by partiers.

One thing I can tell you is that guests have reported a lot of issues with property managed places who have scores or hundreds of listings, and I'd never book a place like that myself. A place with a hands on host with only one or 2/3 listings is a much better bet, as those hosts have a vested interest in providing good service and not wanting partiers at their properties.

I would have liked to have know too, but like many online companies now, Airbnb simply stated it "violated their terms and conditions." They would not specify what part of the review did nor do they offer the opportunity to edit the review. I am a host too, and polite and factual in any reviews. I have traveled with Airbnb for 13 years to all manner of places in the world and this was by far the most dangerous, in combination with a flippant host agency who was at least two persons removed form the actual apartment who simply blamed me for the situation. In the previous review that is still online, the guest had brought up security to which the host agency replied "did you expect a bank?" This is a Superhost.

The past year of experiences in Europe and Mexico have left me with a very strong impression Airbnb is losing control of organized groups in places like Paris, London and now Mexico City. The Mexico City experience was easily the most dangerous I've experienced, and I am an adventurous traveler, including places such as Cambodia, Serbia, and the like. It's one thing if there's a mistake, but it's another if you are actually enabling dangerous situations.  

@Patrick2086  I don't think it's that Airbnb is losing control of that, it's that they turn a blind eye to complaints about hosts and listings that bring in tons of revenue. $ is king.

There have been many cases of unscrupulous hosts that do bait and switch, and poor management, and have dirty listings in bad repair, but those listings aren't removed because they manage hundreds or even thousands of listings and fill Airbnb coffers with guest service fees. Some have as low as 3* ratings.

Some of us have been entreating Airbnb to separate these property managed listings from owner or co-hosted properties, so at least guests can tell at a glance what they are dealing with. But like everything else, falls on deaf ears.

It's a definite change within the last two years. Larger hosting groups like this one in Mexico City, who have little connection or control over their hundreds of listings, aggressive responses and denial of issues, and Airbnb's total lack of support. These quasi-legal groups will only be emboldened by Airbnb's lack of control.

Sammy93
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

We had a similar situation but it was someone breaking in with a key code. This was not housekeeping. It was dark out and they did not announce themselves. 
We reported it to the police, host and Airbnb. The police rushed over but Airbnb did nothing when it was reported. I’m so over this idea that the host doesn’t have any accountability