Safety concerns

Angie562
Level 3
Berkeley, CA

Safety concerns

Dear AirBNB community, 

I have been an AirBNB host for over 5 years. I am a Superhost and an AirBNB Plus host.  I recently had a concerning situation and would like other hosts feedback.  

The situation: 
The guest made a reservation for 1 person.  He arrived at 11pm and I made sure he was able to enter.  He hurriedly said 'I'll be right back' and left the door of the unit and the gate door wide open and didn't return for the next 20 minutes.  I closed and locked both doors.  

He had a lady friend over and had loud relations all day and night.  I had already informed him that I would be working from home, but  rather than communicating over the app, called my cell phone to request a lighter (at which point I reminded him that there is no smoking in the unit) and later called my cell phone to ask if the wine in the room was for guests. 

I asked him if there was someone besides him in the unit and he said 'yes, my girlfriend', so I asked him to please modify the reservation to 2 people.

He then stated that another lady friend would be coming over and I declined, stating that was not allowed by my house rules.   He got upset and threatened to leave.  He then knocked on my door.  I was afraid so I did not open the door and I texted neighbors and friends to standby in case of an altercation.  I also immediately messaged Airbnb.  I waited hours for a response, phoned AirBNB, and still was unable to get assistance.  I messaged with a customer service representative that I was concerned about safety and that I am not comfortable continuing the reservation and was told that the reservation is still active and I must continue the reservation.   Meanwhile, I messaged the guest asking if he knocked on the door and if he needed something to please let me know through the app.  He responded saying that he wanted to say goodbye because he was leaving.  

Subsequently, the guest messaged saying that he forgot something and was coming back and would be staying the night.  I responded that I could meet him outside with his belongings but that I had already changed the code and could not accept him back due to inability to follow house rules.  Airbnb refused to cancel the reservation for me, so I placed a request to modify the reservation.  

I am a woman who lives alone and was genuinely scared for my safety based on the angry response from the guest when I declined to allow additional guests.   I felt AirBNB provided me no protection and it felt like I had just found a guest on Craigslist and had no support for a difficult situation. 

What experience have others had?  

34 Replies 34
Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Angie562 , sorry you had a bad one sneak in, they happen.   One thing to remember is Airbnb cant and wont keep you safe, only you can do that yourself, stay well, JR 

Valerie186
Level 2
Windsor, CA

I think it’s messed up that people had an accusatory attitude towards this host. Air bnb charges large fees for their service. They need to support their hosts. If a host is made uncomfortable and feels unsafe there should be a way to get rid of the guest.

EXACTLY!

Kendra114
Level 9
Galveston, TX

Totally similar situation currently happening. 

Lesley439
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I have had exactly the same situation.   The guest booked for one person.   I left him keys as was away but on returning the next day was told the guest had brought 2 ladies into my home and these were wandering around on other floors which are private.   One of the ladies opened the door and said there was a mistake and they were a couple.   On entering the room there were 2 ladies who had been there for some time (food scattered, bed in disarray, extra towels and pillows used).   One lady was in underwear and a wig eating a greasy meal.   The ladies became threatening and pointed out that I was a single woman (suggested I got married amongst other personal things).  Finally another Airbnb guest who heard the voices came down and asked me to call the police.   At this the ladies left taking their suitcases and leaving the keys.    At 00.40 in the morning the guest arrived  and rang the doorbell he said he had left his credit card in the bed.   When I checked and returned it he tried to push past me to gain entry.  Luckily the chain was one.   He then continued to ring the door bell until I disconnected.   I have raised multiple support calls and also a chat.   Airbnb does get back but does close the cases.   He has left a review.   I havent replied yet.   Im really concerned that this may also happen to others and that Airbnb does not take this seriously and intercept.   I go out of my way to ID guests and a lateral flow before entry.   The ID is because Airbnb supply nothing to help here and even when police are involved fail to provide details.     Airbnb just take the money and do nothing.    Ive been recently fined £90 for offering a guest a double room rather than a single.    The support people dont understand this is a positive.   How do I get heard I dont want a repeated incident and guest who book are really off about providing ID before entry and mark down the check in procedure as they think it is unnecessary.