Sales tax

Sales tax

Is Airbnb paying both Florida State sales tax and Osceola County sales tax and if so how does Airbnb know my sales tax reference numbers? Regards, Nigel

12 Replies 12

Nigel, I believe they are only paying the FL tax, not the local county tax judging by the email they sent. What I am not clear is whether they will collect money on all bookings starting in December (meaning, even pre-existing ones for the period starting on Dec 1), or only on reservations physically made after December 1. That could prove to be very confusing since I have a bunch of bookings for up to July 2016, all made before Dec 1. How are we going to differentiate what to pay? And just to be clear - the taxes are going to be passed onto the clients, and not out of our pockets, right?

While I applaud the decision to help with state taxes, any further instructions would be terrific, honestly.

Karen1
Level 10
St Johns, FL

@Nigel,
My understanding is they are collecting tax from our guests for Florida Sales tax only and they are paying it in a lump sum without our tax ID's associated with the payment. I called Airbnb and asked how would I get credit for the tax collected and she said to call the state. I did and talked to two different people. Not only were they clueless but neither had ever heard of Airbnb. So what are we supposed to do? Do we keep our FL tax accounts open and send in zero tax collected every month? I don't want to do that but we are supposed to report monthly. I don't know who to get help from.
Karen1
Level 10
St Johns, FL

@Nigel0 and @Ogi-And-Raj0,

I have learned that Airbnb WILL BE collecting Occupancy tax for 22 counties, but not mine. Here is the info in the Airbnb help article at www.airbnb.com/help/article/653/in-what-areas-is-occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-a...

"Florida USA

Guests who book Airbnb listings that are located in the State of Florida will pay the following taxes as part of their reservation:

• Florida Transient Rental Tax: 6% of the listing price including any cleaning fee for reservations 179 nights and shorter. For detailed information, visit the Florida Dept. of Revenue website.
  • Florida Discretionary Sales Surtax: 0.5%-1.5% of the listing price including any cleaning fee for reservations 179 nights and shorter. The State imposes both a statewide 6% tax and a local 0.5-1.5% tax, which varies by county. For detailed information, visit the Florida Dept. of Revenue website.
  • County Tourist Development Taxes collected by the State: 2-5% of the listing price including any cleaning fee for reservations 179 nights and shorter. The state administers 22 county taxes, including: Bradford, Citrus, Columbia, Desoto, Dixie, Flagler, Franklin, Gadsden, Gilchrist, Glades, Hamilton, Hendry, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Levy, Madison, Okeechobee, Pasco, Sumter, Wakulla, and Washington.
  • Pinellas County Tourist Development Tax: 5% of the listing price including any cleaning fee for reservations 179 nights and shorter. For detailed information, visit the Pinellas County Tax Collector website. Please note that the Tourist Development Tax rate will be increasing to 6% effective January 1, 2016."

Additionally, here is the info on what we as Florida hosts need to do (www.airbnb.com/help/article/1036/how-does-occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-work) :

"In areas that Airbnb has made agreements with governments to collect and remit local taxes on behalf of hosts, applicable local taxes are calculated and collected from guests at the time of booking. No action is needed from the host. This doesn’t change which taxes are due, but automating the process makes tax collection easier for all parties involved."

I am not believing that no action is needed from the host. I have messages and questions into both Airbnb public policy and Florida Dept of Revenue. I will post back if I get an answer from either party.

So my main question is are they collecting these taxes on top of the listed rate or taking it out of the listed rate? For example, my rates are currently set to include the 11.5% (state, county and discretionary) tax I need to collect. So on other sites where taxes are added on after the fact, my rate would be say $80. On Airbnb my rate including taxes would be $90.  So do I now reduce my rates to not include these taxes?

Frankly I don't find this service very helpful as I use other vacation rental sites as well as directly (with more success) and I still have to collect and remit taxes through those sites.

Thanks all!
Kari

Can I ask you what other sites you use?

THIS INFORMATION IS INCOMPLETE

I just found out that Osceola county also collects a tax plus a tourist development tax.

Karen,

Thanks for the link, that was very helpful.

Linda

Linda525
Level 1
Friendship, WI

I received an email stated starting July 1, 2017 (Wisconsin) will begin collecting the sales tax.  I called customer service asking how they are going to pay the tax and when will I receive a statetment showing the paid taxes as I have to file anyway because I am listed on other sites.  The guy I talked to knew nothing about it and said he would get back to me.  That was two days ago.  I also sent an email still waiting.  

Also, on the web site does not show the taxes collected.  But it is on the confirmation email they sent.  Therefore, no record in my account of paid taxes.

While I appreciate AIRBNB now collects the sales tax, I would prefer that they pay it out to me with the customer payment.  This is the way the other site I am listed on handles the tax.

Has anyone gotten more information on how they are paying the taxes, and statements being sent to the hosts?  I also have a tax referer.ence number.

Thanks,

Linda

Kelly292
Level 2
Wisconsin, United States

Have you received any answers to this yet?

I would like to know also

How do you get your tax reference number?

Margareth18
Level 2
São Paulo, Brazil

Hello!!

I am about to add myself to the owner/hosts comunity, and I'd like to know how this subject is going on nowadays. Do you have some news?

tks.

Margareth