Salt Lake City Utah hosting

Vickie5
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

Salt Lake City Utah hosting

Does anyone else who has an airbnb in Salt Lake City have a problem with locals that book and turn up with a lot more guests than they say, don't follow the rules and come and go at all hours of the night/early morning? There seems to be a whole group of them that use different names to book and change their names etc. It really is terrible. The last group picked the lock of the door which separates my basement from upstairs, took a dog into the basement and no dogs are allowed. Maybe I should start a list of all the problem guests here so we know who not to accept or cancel.

Thinking about removing my home from airbnb.

7 Replies 7
Bobbi25
Level 2
Orem, UT

I have heard it is a good idea never to book with locals.

Bryan220
Level 1
Draper, UT

Yes we have the same problem and cannot get Airbnb or VRBO to listen to what we are saying. One booking caused quite a bit of damage. We know the red flags but Airbnb has been somewhat difficult. We should exchange notes. 

David-And-Cristina0
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

Yeah same experience with locals and last minute bookings. 

Alina127
Level 7
Taylorsville, UT

How long are you hosts setting your minimum and max stays for?  I am a very new host in SLC and wondering (and hoping) whether setting max night limits helps mitigate risks to avoid booking with locals.  And eventually a higher per night price.  My max is seven nights and my two bookings so far are tourists (4 nights and the other 5 nights).  So far booking one is good, don’t know what to expect with second booking.  

Im not sure the minimum and maximum stay is as big of a deal as just watching out for last minute bookings from guests that live in the area. Fortunately crack heads do not plan a head that well. I think I have mine set on a month max stay. It seems like if guests want longer then that or even that long they are asking alot more questions about the place before they book it.  I looked at your listing and having a shared home I imagine will keep the riff raff out. Place looks nice!

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Best rule is to not rent to locals.  Set a minimum of a two night stay.  Meet arriving guests in person.  

Angela1475
Level 1
Phoenix, AZ

Isn't there a rule about it having to be 30 days plus?