San Bernardino TOT total receipts vs. taxable rents

Michelle1609
Level 1
San Diego, CA

San Bernardino TOT total receipts vs. taxable rents

Every quarter, I'm at a lost on what to enter in Sections 1 through 3.  We only rent our cabin through Airbnb.  Which report do you use in Airbnb to gather information needed to complete the TOT form and what is that column labeled as?  The report I ran has a column for Amount, Paid Out, Host Fee, Cleaning Fee, Gross Earnings and Occupancy Taxes. Thanks in advance!!! 

3 Replies 3
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Michelle1609   I looked up the Form that you need to complete.  Very straightforward IF you keep a simple spreadsheet of your rentals.  Don't rely on AirBnB to provide the tax information you need.  I am assuming that AirBnB is collecting the taxes due for your municipality.

In section 1, you will enter the amount that the guests paid for each night rented. It also appears that if you charge for cleaning, that dollar figure must also be included.   I recommend that you use the PAID OUT column.

In Section 2, you will enter the SAME amount that you entered in Section 1.   This is the exemption amount because AirBnB collects and remits the tax due on your rentals.

In Section 3, the taxable rents are now ZERO.

I hope that this helps.

Jennifer2023
Level 2
California, United States

Do you believe the Fee from AIRBNB is deducted from the total you are supposed to pay taxes on?  Based on you suggestion of using the Paid out column, then yes.  I use the booking gross (which doesn't; take out AIRBNB fee) so I may be over paying tax???

@Jennifer2023 You do not receive any of the Airbnb fee, so it is not your income and you do not owe the tax on it, they do.