Satisfying Guest

Satisfying Guest

Hello everyone,

I am a new host and I am trouble satisfing my guests.  I have gotten a couple of bad reviews but when I look at what it is going to take to address their complaints I find that I just cannot afford it.  I am simple providing a basic bedroom in my home along with kitchen privileges. I have a regular job that must take  be my first priority.  Taking time off from my job to address their issues is simply not an option and hiring someone to do it is cost prohibited.  Please help 

6 Replies 6
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Hi @Donald49 what issues exactly that your guests are having?

Thank you Farah for responding.

When I started participating in Airbnb I did not realize that I was expected to meet hotel standards.  I am charging about 20 percent of what a hotel in my area charges for a night.  I work as an engineer and I leave my home at 5 in the morning and I do not return until about 630.  I cannot materially change this schedule. It is my profession and nothing else can take precedence.  That being said I do have a modestly sized bedroom in my modestly sized house that I am more than willing to share for a modest sum of money.  This seems entirely reasonable to me and most of my guests seem okay with it.  In addition I have a long term roomate who is also an engineer that also works long hours, He often works long into the night from my kitchen table. A recent Airbnb guest treated him as though he were an employee and that is not his role.  In fact Airbnb guests do not add anything to his experience and can be a nuisance from his point of view.  It is unreasonable for me to ask him for any sacrifice.  One thing that I am looking into is to get outside help with my cleaning.  The time I personally have available is not enough for the task and honestly I also prefer a spotlessly clean house.  Any suggestions in this area would be greatly appreciated.  As for upgarding the furnishings in my home that is a long term on going project and cannot be done overnight.  In conclusion I have something of value that I am offering but I to not have the ability to be all things to all people. How do I balance this.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Donald49

People often thinks that hosting short term guests is similar to have tenants. But it is not. It is a hard core business and it takes a lot of time and energy and your expences are much higher.

In  your situation the best and safest solution would be to take one more long term tenant .

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

Donald, if you would give some details of the exact complaints you might get some great, affordable options to address some of the issues. I tried to look at your listing but I guess it's on a private setting of some sort. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Donald you need a thicker skin.

It is what it is.

You are providing a simple room for a simple price.

There are people who need this and you are providing a service for them.

Host the way you wish and don't worry about nasty reviews. 

I actually like nasty reviews - it lowers futures guests' expectations and "makes it real"

A few suggestions:

1. Increase your price. Reward yourself!

2. Protect your roommate. House rule: "Roommate will not answer requests - please don't ask"

3. Get a professional housekeeper with hotel experience. Reduce your stress and improve your quality of life.

4. Don't worry. Find a balance and enjoy.

P.S. Limit kitchen privileges.  It is the source of most risk, time and unhappiness