Saturation Point

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Saturation Point

Today I was mentally and physically over AirBnB. Over guests rifling through my drawers and cabinets and using things that don't belong to them. Hunting through the fridge although they put nothing in the fridge. Going through my bathroom cabinets for items that don't concern them. Constantly worrying about if the guest are going to break something or use the washer and dryer only to break it and not tell me. Being in constant contact with a guest who has no idea how to find my house or where to park. Dealing with the constant pressure to always have to leave a review although one isn't necessary- the guest stayed, left, and place was in great condition. Just honestly tired of the whole wheel. Besides the money theres no incentive to keep this up. Which brings me to my point -what happens to airbnb once more hosts realize that there is more to life than putting up with these guests?

Don't get me wrong its been great and some nice guests have come through but its not the nice guests that leave the impression its always the ones that take advantage and over step their boundaries and take without asking or just take, take, take.

13 Replies 13
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Zacharias0 maybe it's time to take a break and to go on holiday by yourself? Before you burn out 🙂 

Some co-host-solution maybe?

Hello @Zacharias0 with 6 properties and 300 comments, I know exactly how you can sometimes feel. 

Holiday, even a short one, is the solution.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Zacharias0

Oh Zac, your right mate, ten great guests don't make up for one lousey one. I would love to be there give you a pat on the back and just share a few woes over a drink or two.

It comes in waves, you know that, you have a run of good guests and then you get a few pains in the ar*e to deal with. Nothing you can get them kicked out for, just self indulgent tools.

Zacharias, there are not too many better in the game than you.....you do your gig in la la land as Shaun Mullins sang in that song Lullaby and not too many hosts have the hard hosting road that you have.

I would not say take a break, and in all honesty, that's not you....put this run of 'dipsticks' behind you and concentrate on the nice ones to come. Learn something from each of these but, I would hate to see someone of your calibre second guess your judgement.....you are better than that mate....

Cheers.....Rob

While I agree, taking a break may be the right answer, I might suggest just snoozing your listing for a bit or raising your prices quite a bit (you'll get less takers) or just blocking out a few weekends when you can have the place to yourself again.  I know I look forward to those evenings when it is just my husband and I with no one else. It really refills the pitcher from all my giving.  It sounds like your pitcher is empty which means you have no more to give to anyone else.  Take care of you. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Zacharias0

I can imagine the pains of hosting in Las Vegas!!! People do not go to Las Vegas to pray!

Maybe, if you raise the price you get better guests, better reviews and less problems !

Another ideia - Cant you put the fridge inside your bedroom and lock it? Store in your bedroom your personal items that are in the bathroom cabinets.

To reduce the stress take vacations! Reserve some days a month to be alone.

@J-Renato0  I usually end up praying in Vegas...

... praying my hangover goes away.  LOL

Dunny0
Level 6
Nara, Japan

@Zacharias0

You're right. Right on.

If discussion prior to booking works, it's a filter. But with Instant Booking, that step

of security vanished.

Sourcing guests by interest, profession, ethnic allegiance, self-professed gender orientation, deepness of tan or anything else  is not part of the platform. Hey. That would be discriminatory. Would be a hell of a fine filter. That's it. Ban the word 'discrimination' and replace it with 'filter'. Everyone loves a filter. It would give people more of what makes them happy, less of filth. Let's do it. Filter me baby. I love you.

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

If I were in your shoes with six listings, I'd snooze the airbed (shared room).  Not having people in your face and space will help a lot, I would think.

If you do decide to take a break, come to Connecticut!

I'll make you some fab Dominican food and I'll even teach you merengue and salsa.

😉

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Please Zacharias don't go away.

I rely too much on your philosophy and anecdotes.

You put a voice to my concerns.

Get rewarded more:

Raise your rates.

Go on vacation.

Find a really good host so you can feel pampered.

Find a really bad host so you know that what you offer is superior.

I just had a bad guest.  My saving grace was that I realized that I could kick him out, decline the rental income , pay the penalty,

risk the offensive warnings from Airbnb and be happy.

I did not kick him out and he did nothing too terrible. But just knowing that I always have to the ultimate right to take back my house for whatever reason I wish helped me through this trying, but transcient period.

Good luck

Melane-0
Level 2
Baywood-Los Osos, CA

Darlin' YOU NEED A VACATION!!!

I watch for when that point is coming at me & I close down my claendar for a weekend, week, month whatever I NEED. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and say to myself, nope, no guests this week and I log on and shut my place down for a while.

Rule # 1-TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! No amount of money is worth being meserable over.

Rule # 2-Refer to Rule # 1!

It's really that simple. Take a month off of Airbnb and then decide if you want to come back or not. YOU have the freedon of choice!

Debbie106
Level 5
Bradenton, FL

I get burned out.  So I have set availability to no more than 3 nights.  And I block off days so we can have a break.  I also have a list that I send to the guests ahead of time that includes : read the house rules, read the entire listing, do not use hosts things without permission.  It helps.  live and learn.

Susan302
Level 2
Fort Myers, FL

Turn off  instant booking. That way you get a feel for them before you accept the booking. That works for me. 

I was thinking about turning on instant book and this thread reminded me why I shouldn't.  Thank you.

I hope you make the right decision for you.  I think we have all been through this....well I don't so much as I don't rent out private rooms so some aspects are easier.

Take care of yourself.