Save the date: Tune in April 28 for a Host Update with CEO Brian Chesky

Airbnb
Official Account

Save the date: Tune in April 28 for a Host Update with CEO Brian Chesky

Hello everyone,

CEO Brian Chesky will be providing updates and answers to your top questions about hosting during COVID-19 at 3:00 p.m PST Tuesday, April 28.

Watch it live: Airbnb.com/live

Can’t make it at that time? We’ll share a recording with you after the event.  

For more answers to your questions about hosting during this challenging time, please visit Airbnb.com/COVID–we’ll keep updating it with trends, tips, and information on what we're doing to support our community.

Thank you again for being a host and we hope you are staying safe and healthy. 

64 Replies 64

Is Brain gonna be brave enough to take questions online? 

Will he show up on time?

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to ask a question?

Daniel7272
Level 1
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica

Of course NOT!  He knows he's wronged the hosts here BIG TIME and doesn't want to face the repercussions.  His actions and biased position toward guests over hosts is appalling and disappointing.  I'll be moving my bookings to Home Away.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Oh cool, maybe Brian can explain to us what's going on with guests with late July bookings being urged not to cancel just yet, as Extenuating Circumstances may be extended after an update on May 1, allowing them to cancel then for a full refund or travel credit.

Meanwhile, hosts are being urged to "cancel any upcoming reservations for this year penalty-free", with exciting incentives, such as "you won't pay a fee, have your calendar blocked or have your Superhost status affected. Only thing is, these cancellations have to be completed by April 30. Of course they do..

EC JULY.jpg

Air BnB just told me in writing that if I canceled all of my host statuses would be affected and i would have to pay fees . I want to cancel everyone and give people a chance to book .

Fully agree.  Airbnb are mailing guests to tell them about a policy update covering reservations after 31st May.  Airbnb agents are telling guests not to cancel.  Meanwhile my calendar is blocked.  Culture change is required at Airbnb.  Fellow Hosts please do not forget how we were treated.  

Airbnb are Snakes.

Here is the message guests are receiving '

"Your cancellation options may change"

We may extend Extenuating Circumstances coverage for this reservation. If we do, you’ll be able to cancel for a full refund or travel credit to use on your next trip. We'll send you an update on 1 May.'

Airbnb are Snakes.

@Susan17 

The common factor in this Host cancels / Guest cancels debacle is that in both instances AirBnb get keep all the money for the issue of promises instead.

This is so infuriating.

One question for Brian: why are COVID19 support payments being reduced by cancellations payouts that took place prior to the COVID19 extenuating circumstances policy being put into action on the 14th of March: is that yet another way for Airbnb to make hypocritical statements about its generosity while at the same time shafting us profusely?

This is a breach of contract which I will be taking before the courts Brian and I will find the litigator who will do it pro-bono. 

Pierre thats agents trying to con you.  It happened to me 4/5 times.  You can fight directly with different agents and you will eventually win.  

Airbnb are Snakes.
Daniel7272
Level 1
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica

I completely agree!  Mr. Chesky has a way of breaching basic contract law and twisting to his advantage.  The contract between host and guest was changed, mid-stream.  While I appreciate and respect the position of guests whom had to cancel due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Mr. Chesky doesn't appreciate us hosts.  Many, like myself, rely 100% on this income to make our mortgage payments and put food on the table for our family.  By changing policies mid-stream, you have taken rightfully earned money from my account.  DISGRACE!  I believe a class action lawsuit is in order...

Jerry250
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

There is a mismatch (presumably deliberate) between hosts being asked to cancel bookings penalty free before 30th April and guests being urged to wait until 1st May to see if they can cancel penalty free.

We've been contacting our guests outlining this option. Some want to keep their booking and 'see what happens' others want the surety of their cash back now (I think one of them even worried about the solvency of Airbnb to make future refunds). We have complied with whatever the guest requested. 

We think it would be fairer if the playing field was made level. Hosts should also be able to cancel once guests know what their options are - not before.

Host cancellation policies were over-ridden in March, April and May it seems unreasonable to give hosts just 9 days to contact all their guests and make their penalty-free decisions in a very uncertain world.

The middle of May for both parties to make a final decsion seems more equitable. 

Please ask Brian to address this in his Q&A. 

Thanks