Scam? Or legitimate booking

Kathryn-And-Colin0
Level 1
Thirroul, Australia

Scam? Or legitimate booking

I received a booking at 7 pm on the day of the booking and in the air Bnb msg it said something along the lines of

“ call me about the booking for tomorrow” they then listed their phone number.

We then received two separate calls from that mobile number in broken English stating he wanted us to change the booking date because he booked the wrong date.

Then we received a call from a landline which I didn’t answer but in the voicemail it said it was from air bnb support and they had sent me an email. I checked the email and it was in broken English saying I should reply to the email and not go through Airbnb site. 

We also received about 3 other Airbnb messages saying call his number to change the booking.

does this sound legitimate or a scam?

15 Replies 15
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Scam, @Kathryn-And-Colin0. If a guest wants to change their reservation, they use the opton to do so and then you approve it. What can you do on the phone? Be asked to change it or cancel it as a host? No business for us hosts due to penalties and lower stats (these apply to cancellations). What is more, it's after all contacting outside Airbnb, which you may be willing to refuse.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Kathryn-And-Colin0 best way to find out is to call into actual CS yourself and see what they say, better to find out before this "guest" arrives

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kathryn-And-Colin0

On the surface of it.....scam! a few points:

1/. What is the reservation confirmation code? It will be in your message stream with this guest on the left side of the screen just above the payment details and will look like this.....HM35HBDEN9

2/. Airbnb will not call you or suggest you should any communication outside the official site.

3/. If this guest actually has an Airbnb profile, in the message stream on the top right corner of each message box you will see a small flag, click that flag! That will do two things. it will bring that users to Airbnb attention for further action and it will block that user from having any more contact with you through the Airbnb site.

Kathryn and Colin, we either use this system, or we go off and do our own things.....what is it going to be for you?

Here is the contact link should you require more help....

https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us

Cheers.....Rob

Isabel203
Level 10
Halifax, Canada

@Kathryn-And-Colin0, I agree with @Robin4 and the rest. It smells fishy for sure!

The most basic rule for me is NEVER communicate outside of AirBnB. There is no reason you should ever need to do this and so many reasons why you shouldn't. Send a quick message to the guest (via the platform) explaining that in keeping with AirBnB standards, you only communicate through the platform and then contact AIrBnB yourself and explain the situation. If necessary, they can contact the guest by phone. Also, this gives a record that you were acting quickly and responsibly, should there be any further difficulties and the guest claims you were non-responsive.  

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

If the message is on the AirBnB web site then you could tell them to submit an alteration if you are prepared to consider one.

Seems some other things going on that would make me very suspicious.

David

@Kathryn-And-Colin0, it is a good thing you were leery of this whole thing.

For me the thing that convinces me it is a scam is this:

"Then we received a call ... said it was from air bnb support and they had sent me an email. ... saying I should ... not go through Airbnb site."

Yes, of course AirBnB support would say to NOT go through the AirBnB site.

AirBnB supports hates it when you use the AirBnB site!

Please, instead wire the funds to this random account in (offshore bank).

This is competely legitimate because we are AirBnB support (international division)!

Looking through this thread I am not sure if everyone who responded understood what you are saying (or at least the same as what I am understanding).  

My questions are:

1. What was the address of the email your received claiming it was from Airbnb support?

2. The messages you recieved saying to call his number, those were from him not support correct?

If there is a language barrier I am wondering if perhaps your guest is confused between their hosts phone number (you) and the Airbnb support phone number.  If it is a reservation alteration issue then providing the guest with the Airbnb support number to contact may be a good next step so that they can sort it out (hopefully with a rep that speaks their native language). 

Heather1064
Level 2
Boulder, CO

This host has been a member since 2018 but this property has no reviews. How do I know it's a legit listing? Thanks for the help.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/42489141?source_impression_id=p3_1590512917_nm8KmxSrSR61bZHM&guests=1...

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Heather1064 I can't see anything wrong with this listing. The host may have joined Airbnb in 2018 when contemplating travelling - who knows.

One thing to bear in mind - Will travel to Scotland be allowed when you plan to travel? Should be OK later in the year but possibly not in June.

Thanks so much for the reply. I didn't realize that the "join" date wasn't linked to the property itself. Knowing that is very helpful. And, yes, we are planning ahead for when it's safe (and legal) to travel to the Highlands. Until then, we wait.

Hi @Kathryn-And-Colin0 even your picture looks to be missing LOL

in short @Kathryn-And-Colin0 , please reprise your profile pic asap, don't worry at all you're paying the airbnb to do all the job. if they book ok, if they try to contact you means they want to skip the airbnb fee or want to scam you. Never leave your personal data or phone number. Do you remember when being a  kid your mum told you not to speak with anyone as it could be the boogeyman. It's the same!

Lynette57
Level 10
Gladstone, Australia

Hi @Kathryn-And-ColinO

You need to reload your picture and report to ABB and , Take care there seems to be a lot of bad scammers in the woodwork at the moment.

This post is a scam and will be reported as inappropriated content. Before the "admin" in shift will wake up! 

Who is the moderator in shift right now??? Do the job you're paid for it!