Scam by guests

Emma565
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Scam by guests

I'm writing about the situation I got the second (!) time in the last 6 months.

First:

A group of people rented my house for a one night staying. After a few hours (around 4) they spent in my house (they took shower, ate delivered pizza etc) they decided that the house is not what they were expecting. 

They didn't even text me before leaving. They sent me a message that they already left and that they want a full refund because of some things they didn't like (for example small spots on the floor after I repainred railings. and other "unreal" stuff).  So I got scammers. 

Second (another property):

A guest asked me how to turn on the Netflix. She didn't get it even after I explained it to her by text messages. Then I offered her to come to help in a few hours at the same day but she declined it and texted she's ok without it. After her staying I got a message from Airbnb that Netflix in my apartment didn't work all the time of her staying and she didn't like something else (sorry, don't remember, but it was literally nothing) and she wants refund (part of the money). Thanks God I chated with her by text messages (because sometimes i just call guests) and I sent screenshots to airbnb. Of course she didn't get a refund.

BUT.  Both of the guests left me a review with just one star. It's obvious because the scam wasn't successfull and they were angry. Both of them didn't write something bad in the review because there was nothing to write.

The first guest left a review "The pictures are accurate. In terms of cleanliness, it could definitely use some tlc. Great location for shopping!".

The second guest left a review ":("

So I got the question - why guests who were trying to make a fraud are able to leave a review and to affect on my rating? How can I delete there reviews from my page? They had nothing bad to write, they just wanted to down my score.

I don't have a lot of reviews yet, so both of them affected on my score a lot.  Maybe somebody had such kind of situation?

I called Airbnb, but they literally did nothing to help me. Is it ok that airbnb doesn't care about hosts and honesty?

16 Replies 16

Tweets get results. with impending IPO they don’t want any bad press.

Sam197
Level 1
San Diego, CA

CRIMINAL: A grifter was detected at arrival.  The profile photo was of a cute couple that was supposed to be traveling from Chicago.  What showed up was a woman with a small toddler that looked like they were living out of the beat up car they arrived in.

The gamut ensued immediately. The 3-4 year old was seen in the driveway alone multiple times.  The woman was unloading trash bags into the unit, and then calls began coming in about the place being filthy!  BIG RED FLAGS, so I communicated I was heading over. She immediately said she was CANCELLING.

Upon my arrival it was VERY CLEAR this grifter hadn’t flown in from anywhere.  I rang the bell and no one answered.  I could hear a child but, no adult. I banged on the door and shouted three verbal warnings I was coming in.  

This woman went into hysterics in an attempt to intimidate me!  She said I couldn’t come into the unit and began saying she felt unsafe, all while her kid is running around basically naked! I told her she could wait outside, off property, and that if she didn’t police were being called, so she called them. Only she messed up and gave them here real name, which I recorded!  I recorded everything.  For three hours this crazy con artist paced about trying to elongate the issue!  It was madness. I refused to buy into her theatrics and stood firm, recording everything!  After hours of delay she left!

My spouse showed up, as did police, and we began to inspect the unit to figure out what the deal was.  We do not wear shoes in the house and that was a benefit.  The carpeting in the room this vagrant had shut herself up in was soaked.  When you turned on the lights you could see the pattered BRAND NEW carpeting was becoming blotchy!

We realized bleach based bathroom cleaners had been used on the carpeting!  We began scouring the place for clues as to why and BAM all the paper towels, TWO ROLLS, saturated with feces in the trash along with dirty diapers!  Toddler is heard on camera “I did a poopy” when mom is outside!

He smeared feces on the doors, wall, bedding, bathroom linens and mom was using bleach to try and cover it up! There were fecal hand prints everywhere!  Damages surmounted to over $2k and a police report was filed.  Airbnb was kept in the loop the entire time!

Per usual Airbnb twilight zone, THEY IMMEDIATELY REFUNDED ALL HER MONEY!  Yep, after months of back and forth and ARBITRATING we got every penny back plus damages. However, THE ONE STAR REVIEW IS STILL THERE, “because it doesn’t violate the Airbnb Terms of Use”!!! Airbnb is always robbing Peter to pay Paul.  They crap on hosts knowing in the sea of things they’ll still make money exploiting residential properties.  

Airbnb’s entire business model is built on scamming!  Homes not zoned for transient stays, predating home owners desperate for cash and ignorant of the vast liabilities when things go wrong! MASS SHOOTINGS, RAPES, and even MURDERS and Airbnb is still plugging along. Their barely English speaking, robotic call center is deflecting calls to shadow departments,  that cut and paste inept responses condoning CRIMINAL behavior! They further deflect and attempt covering it up with one dimensional press ads and hug it out Benetton ads! They rant about TRUST AND SAFETY whilst AIDING AND ABETTING CRIMINALS then allow said criminals to DISPARAGE the HOSTS they allegedly so care about.