Scam by guests

Emma565
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Scam by guests

I'm writing about the situation I got the second (!) time in the last 6 months.

First:

A group of people rented my house for a one night staying. After a few hours (around 4) they spent in my house (they took shower, ate delivered pizza etc) they decided that the house is not what they were expecting. 

They didn't even text me before leaving. They sent me a message that they already left and that they want a full refund because of some things they didn't like (for example small spots on the floor after I repainred railings. and other "unreal" stuff).  So I got scammers. 

Second (another property):

A guest asked me how to turn on the Netflix. She didn't get it even after I explained it to her by text messages. Then I offered her to come to help in a few hours at the same day but she declined it and texted she's ok without it. After her staying I got a message from Airbnb that Netflix in my apartment didn't work all the time of her staying and she didn't like something else (sorry, don't remember, but it was literally nothing) and she wants refund (part of the money). Thanks God I chated with her by text messages (because sometimes i just call guests) and I sent screenshots to airbnb. Of course she didn't get a refund.

BUT.  Both of the guests left me a review with just one star. It's obvious because the scam wasn't successfull and they were angry. Both of them didn't write something bad in the review because there was nothing to write.

The first guest left a review "The pictures are accurate. In terms of cleanliness, it could definitely use some tlc. Great location for shopping!".

The second guest left a review ":("

So I got the question - why guests who were trying to make a fraud are able to leave a review and to affect on my rating? How can I delete there reviews from my page? They had nothing bad to write, they just wanted to down my score.

I don't have a lot of reviews yet, so both of them affected on my score a lot.  Maybe somebody had such kind of situation?

I called Airbnb, but they literally did nothing to help me. Is it ok that airbnb doesn't care about hosts and honesty?

16 Replies 16
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emma565  This is a constant source of anger and frustration expressed by hosts on this forum and there are many threads about it. It's totally unfair to hosts, and no, Airbnb doesn't seem to care. Guests who complain about made-up stuff and apply for refunds should not get to leave a review, that's just a horrible policy.

And no, you can't have a review removed unless it violates Airbnb policy (discriminatory comments, etc). When hosts have pointed out that the guest is lying and even have proof through photos, Airbnb's ridiculous stance is that it's a valid expression of the guest's experience.

Thank you @Sarah977 for your response!

So you think there is nothing we (hosts) can do?

@Emma565   Not much except continuing to fill out the Feedback forms on the Airbnb site telling them how unfair this is. if we keep bombarding them with it, maybe policy will eventually change.

Tweets get results. with impending IPO they don’t want any bad press.

Tweets get results. with impending IPO they don’t want any bad press.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

This is one reason why I avoid 1 night rentals. My thinking is that scammers are cheap people who can't afford to even put down a deposit on 2 night stays. Also I refuse to drop my price to the point that I'm one of the lowest in the area. Just not worth the risk. I would rather go unbooked.

That said, consumers understand that you're bound to get a difficult guest once in a while. Just post a response explaining what REALLY happened.

Do you require a deposit? That will help weed out the problem guests. I have a $200 deposit.

@Pete28

You do know that Airbnb does not actually charge the deposit to the guest? It is a token gesture and is not paid/charged until after the stay and a claim has been processed and approved through the Resolution Center.....

Thank you @Rachael0! I didn't know that information

Hi @Pete!

The second guest stayed for 3 nights. So I suppose it doesn't really matter.

The problem is not about the review, it's about the score. Like I see the situation, guests understand that the review is not very important compare with "one star". So they just use a system to make damadeges if you don't refund.

Yes I agree. Since I’ve set my deposit at £1000 I’ve had a much better experience with all my guests and I’m still full over 90% of the time.

The “deposit” is bogus.  They don’t collect it, and you have to fight every step of the way to get refunded for any damages.  Scammers know this, but it’s an effective deterrent for bad guests who don’t.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

If they don't stay the night it's not much of a scam ? 

I am having similar issues. 

Wow..... I thought that I was going crazy. But you guys have the same issue.