Scam guests ~ TRUST YOUR GUT I'm out $3000 because I didn't follow AIRBNB Rules--My August 8 letter

Elizabeth469
Level 2
Bethesda, MD

Scam guests ~ TRUST YOUR GUT I'm out $3000 because I didn't follow AIRBNB Rules--My August 8 letter

August 8, 2017

To Whom It May Concern at AIRBNB

I’m not sure who to send this note to, so please forward my mea culpa to the correct department. My story needs to be heard somewhere!

How often has AIRBNB warned their hosts? Do not accept money from the guest—run it through AIRBNB. I’ve lost $3000 because I didn’t follow your advice.

[Name of guest] was a long-term AIRBNB renter, and a rather ideal guest. We talked about our RV trip to Florida (December 2016-June 2017) and the possibility of Gireaud and his four-year old son, renting the upstairs two floors of my house. I had done this successfully a few years ago (before I ever heard about AIRBNB) with a Chinese law student. She pre-dated her monthly rent checks and I cashed them in Florida. He asked that we do this privately, and I wrote up a contract, which we both signed, and then he gave me pre-dated checks.

That was fine for the first few months, then he called and asked if I could wait two weeks to cash the April check—and that was the beginning of the end. More delays, more promises the rent money would be paid—and it never has. Our mailman apologized for stopping our mail, because Gireaud had asked to stop all mail, and left no forwarding address for himself. I called the Georgetown University Law School and confirmed that he did graduate in June. He doesn’t respond to my phone calls or emails. I don’t know if he is living in another AIRBNB, with family/friends or moved back to his native Haiti.

In September, we are moving permanently to a Retirement Community in Leesburg, Florida—which does not allow short-term rentals. We’ll be sorry to stop being AIRBNB hosts, since we’ve met so many wonderful people, from around the world.

Kind regards,

Elizabeth Superhost

[Personal information hidden for safety reasons]

PS -- I just read through some comments with warnings about "Locals" --Gireaud said he'd been using AIRBNB since his divorce, but maybe it was always a scam? "Insufficient funds" just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I had to take $$ out of my annuity to cover the anticipated rental revenue. 

Too late I'm saying: "Remember who brought you to the party." 

13 Replies 13
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Elizabeth469

How awful - but as you say, you knew the risk and outcome and also that you were in reality not giving AirBnB their commission.

However, there is an interesting aside here you may wish to follow up: in many countries people who graduate and then wish to practice law have to be listed on a central register and cannot practice if there are oustanding 'complaints/certain types of claims/legal cases etc).

I'd try track him down through this and then make an official complaint to that body about this behaviour. Remeber to keep all evidence!

Dear Gerry and Rashid:

Many thanks for your support and suggestion! I did walk into this (?) trap with my eyes wide open--I just don't know if it was all premeditated.

I did place a call to Georgetown University Law Center to inquire about a Central Registry where I might lodge a formal complaint against [guest name]. I am keeping all evidence. The bank tellers look so sad when they have to say those dreaded words: "Insufficient funds."

I studied in London in 1965 and took a room in a lovely woman's apartment--she slept on her couch and gave me her bed! She even offered to heat a hot water bottle to wrap my pajama's and warm my bed! Doris would have been a great AIRBNB host--she was obviously ahead of the curve on that one, wasn't she?

Blessings,

Elizabeth

@Elizabeth469 This response proves, all the more, you should continue to be an Airbnb Host.  You have a kind heart and you can tell you care about your guests.  I think that is such an important trait, as a host and a guest, in this community - Airbnb.  

I truly hope you will reconsider and give Airbnb another shot.

Happy Hosting!

Izzie, Co-Host

LOV Puerto Rico

It's out of my control. The mgmt at this retirement community does NOT allow you to rent rooms in your home. So, as much as I've loved meeting the people, we now have to close this window.

Thanks for your kind comments!  🙂

@Elizabeth469 Well I wish you well on all your future ventures and I pray you continue to find "Love, Peace & Adventure."  You are a kind soul and it is in God's hands.

If you ever find yourself in Puerto Rico, we have a lovely room waiting for you!  

Happy Travels,

Izzie Dee, Co-Host

LOV Puerto Rico

Thanks for the kind invitation to Puerto Rico. Who knows, now that we'll soon be Florida residents--it's probably more 'do-able' than from Maryland!

I agree --it's TOTALLY in God's Hands. I've always believed that my job is to 'show up and be faithful.'

I've received some good advice and am following it in small chunks since we are moving to Florida next week! Hope to be able to concentrate better, after a zillion boxes are delivered, opened, etc--catch my drift?

Enjoy the weekend. I do have the business card he inadvertently, and unwittingly, left behind--which is the same company that other's found on a GOOGLE search. 

Maria758
Level 9
Washington, DC

@Elizabeth469

Let me start by saying, I am deeply sorry that this happened and that you experienced such a betrayal, especially after developing such a close relationship, or so it seemed.

We have been hosting since October 2016 and we think Airbnb is an excellent platform for travel and alternative lodging. It’s a great way to get that “local” experience and a wonderful way to share your home with like-minded “strangers,” at least when it comes to the sharing economy.  Your listings are beautiful and your past reviews are great.  I hope that this event does not discourage you from continuing to use Airbnb Services in the future, let alone hinder you from continuing to be an Airbnb Host.

I hope it’s safe to suggest that you can simply use this as a lesson learned and remember to abide by Airbnb Policies & Procedures moving forward to try and prevent this from happening again?  Though, we can never fully prepare for what guests’ are going to do after check-in, but we can certainly try.

That said, the rest of this post/response is really for other readers, as you seem to understand the errors that occurred in this situation, from both sides.  Again, I'm sorry this happened to you.

In our personal experiences, we have had guests ask us, on more than one occasion, if they could pay cash or book outside Airbnb, even offering to pay the Service Fee that Airbnb would have otherwise charged them.  Although sometimes we are tempted to say “yes,” not because of the money; not because we grow rather fond of some of the guests; and not because it’s just easier to take the cash, we never take a book outside Airbnb or cash for a reservation. 

Okay I’m lying, we did take cash from a guest that had checked-out then came back, and it turned out fine, but that was a mistake we will never do again.  We did learn the proper way to Alter/Change a reservation and that is what we do moving forward.  But I digress.

To New Hosts, and existing hosts, the key thing to remember here is if you are going to use Airbnb, you must adhere to the policies and procedures, and Terms of Service set in place.  They have been drafted for the safety of not only the hosts, but the guests as well.  If you do not abide by these policies, and something happens, it’s very difficult (I would say unfair even) to expect Airbnb to try and resolve any issues if something were to happen.

Here is a copy of a great article you can find in the Airbnb Help Desk:

Why should I pay and communicate through Airbnb directly?

Paying and communicating through Airbnb helps ensure that you're protected under our Terms of Service, cancellation and refund policies, Host Guarantee, Host Protection Insurance program and other safeguards. It also makes it easy to find and reference important reservation details like a listing's address, your itinerary, check-in details, and other useful information. We can’t provide these benefits if your reservation isn’t booked and paid for directly through Airbnb.

Paying or communicating outside of Airbnb also makes it harder for us to protect your information and puts you at greater risk of fraud and other security issues, such as phishing.

Flag suspicious messages

Never pay for your reservation outside of Airbnb. If someone asks you to pay for a reservation outside our on-site payment system—or you think someone might be sending you links to a fake Airbnb site—let us know and click the flag icon  in your message thread with that person.

So keep all bookings, messages and any transactions related, on Airbnb.

On a side note, the “Airbnb Community Forum” is great for first-hand experiences from other hosts, especially more experienced hosts.  I also (and please don’t judge me) use it for affirmation on a decision I made AFTER reading the Airbnb policies and suggestions, but this is not the FIRST place to look for answers. 

Airbnb provides many resources on their website including:

1. Airbnb Help Center
  2. Airbnb Blog
  3. Airbnby Community Forum
  4. Connect Locally
  5. Host Support

However, although Airbnb provides most of the answers, you still have to make the final decisions, so use common sense. 

I can go on but instead I’ll stop at this final note, as I said before, Airbnb is an excellent platform for travel and alternative lodging, but you have to exercise RESPONSIBLE HOSTING and follow the Rules & Regulations Airbnb has set forth for everyone’s protection.

If anyone has any questions, or more tips, please let me know.  Another great thing about Airbnb is we’re such a great community, always helping each other.    

Happy Hosting!

Izzie, Co-Host

LOV Puerto Rico

Thanks for your letter of support and suggestions! I have a tendency to get "too wrapped up/involved"-- perhaps because of my Stephen Ministry training as a Christian Caregiver. My Stage 3.5 breast cancer metastasized into Stage 4 in October 2015, so I always try to help other women in this position, as well as End of Life issues (www.yourexitstrategy.org).

We are moving to a retirement community in Leesburg, Florida next month, and they don't allow short-term rentals. So, it's sad to say but August 31st will be our last night of hosting. 😞   We've enjoyed using our SUPERHOST coupons to travel to different cities and compare notes with other Airbnb hosts.

My note was a letter of warning--don't make the same stupid mistake I did!

Blessings,

Elizabeth 

Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Elizabeth469

So sorry this happened to you.

Thank you for warning others.

I read the comments of your many guests over the years.

Thank you for being an stellar example of a life well lived and an inspiration to others.

Best wishes as you manage your heath challenges and retire to Florida.

Thank you also for sharing the "Your Exit Strategy" website.

Marcia

Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Elizabeth469

If [guest] can be located, prepare and send him a demand letter. Pursue this.

[Guest] is a unique name, so I googled that name and [personal information hidden] He has a LinkedIn account and a Facebook Account. Look at the images of [guest name] and see if he is the person you rented to or if it was a scam artist that stole [guest name] identity to win you over.

Remember, you had a written contract with your "guest"/"renter" which can be enforced if you are sure of his identity and can find him. Good luck!

You're too clever! Yes, [personal information hidden] with an MA degree is one and the same person! I'm following up on your ideas--I get an automated voice mail when I call his office, and he doesn't reply to my cell phone or email messages. However, I did complete a survey on one of his professional memberships, so it will be interesting to see if anyone A) reads it, and B) takes the initiative to call me    I can only dream!  🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Elizabeth469,

Welcome to you the Community Center, I am sorry to hear about your experience and it is good you wish to warn other hosts. Just to also mention you can flag a person's account on Airbnb, by clicking the 'Report this user'. Also, if you are ever concerned that someone might be a scammer you can also contact the Support Team and explain this to them. I would still recommend doing this. 

In terms of the thread here, you will see that I have had to remove the personal information in the posts here. This is because here in the CC we speak in more general terms and for safety reasons this information is removed as the thread is publicly visible. 

It is lovely to hear you have enjoyed hosting so much, I wish you much happiness with your future. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.