Scam inquiry with link

Answered!
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Scam inquiry with link

I just got an inquiry from a guest for March, max number of guests, max days we permit (so it was a lucrative booking.) Guest had just joined in November 2020 and had no verifications or reviews. 

They claimed they wanted to book the listing but said it was listed elsewhere for less, and sent me a link to the supposed listing asking where they should book and what the price would be. It was some kind of Facebook post with a picture of our cottage advertising it at half price. I couldn't see the whole profile or more information because I am not registered on FB and they only give you a preview before the question comes up to register or sign in. 

Airbnb sent me a message asking me if this looked suspicious (it did) so I got a pop up to decline and I did. 

So are people just stealing your images now and creating fake FB pages with lower prices to try and get you to honor them? This is a new one on me. 

1 Best Answer
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592,

Like @Carl-and-Pandora0 mentioned, the other scam is to take your listing details and photos, and create a fake listing.  Then when non-Airbnb members see the listing, they make reservations, and lose all of there money.  The more frequent one that I've seen mentioned is usually for longer term stays, and the "host" tells the rube that they need to pay a deposit directly to them, and that the monthly payment will go through Airbnb.  Guests pay what they think is customarily a security deposit, but soon after find out that they've been duped, and Airbnb will not help them.  

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15

This same thing just happened to me!  I called airbnb and they didn't seem a bit concerned. Go figure!