Scam or just pushy client? How to deal with it.

Milda17
Level 1
Fredericton, Canada

Scam or just pushy client? How to deal with it.

Few days ago I was contacted by a "potential guest" who was also an owner of few properties he ran as air BNB himself (thats after I checked his profile). He asked for discount. It is not something we do, so I declined. He then sent me long email telling me that discounts are common between hosts and I must be crazy not to except potentially repetitive visitor and not to offer discounts. I said clearly "no" and best of luck elsewhere. Then this person send me his number (encrypted: mix of words and numbers) saying "call me". At this point I started to feel creeped out. I pressed flag in a corner of messaging ment to report request and decline the enquiry. Next day I got request to book from him, saying that he is going to come next morning just to check out property for future bookings!. I called air BNB as well as blocked this person. Air BNB checked this man's profile, determined that it's legit and left it at that.....now then ...wait for it .....next day: I was contacted by this man's wife! She was saying she wants to book immediately from her newly set up profile and she wants discount! I am totally creeped out. Has anyone experienced such pushy ness? How do you deal with it? Is this as one scam ( ie, rent with discount band sublet expensively?) Thank you in advance for all the advice you can give!

5 Replies 5
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Milda17 I have encountered pushiness from bookings I have declined. I think you did the right thing by reporting them, mainly for the attempt to go off platform. Then block and ignore. Not much else you can do. 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Milda17

Whether or not it's a scam, you did the right thing by both declining and reporting them. Respectful hosts do not 'expect' discounts from other hosts. He also tried to go outside the platform, which is against Airbnb policy. It's also just weird to want to come around and check out the property. Red flags all round. Now that you've reported them, I would block them from being able to contact you at all: https://www.airbnb.com.au/help/article/2020/how-do-i-report-a-message-or-block-someone-on-airbnb

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Milda17 If anything we should pay more as hosts! We understand first hand how much work it is plus hosts make the worst guests (myself included)

It sounds like they are dying to rent you property but are too cheap to just do it. I assume the one night booking attempt was to made to meet with you to secure further direct discounts.

It is an interesting thought that they want to turn around and book to someone else... Perhaps planning repairs and do not want to loose current reservations? 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Milda17 

That is truly disturbing.

I’m really curious to know what they had planned if you were foolish enough to let them book. I’m quite sure that it wouldn’t have ended well.

I also wonder if they have been successful in bullying hosts into going off-platform in the past, and I’m really surprised that CS didn’t immediately suspend their account.

I think it’s important to make sure they’re both blocked. If they’re vindictive because of being rejected they can cause you a lot of trouble by repeatedly booking and canceling, possibly even submitting false reviews.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

.." he is going to come next morning just to check out property for future bookings!."

Is he a local, that allows him to just swing by and physically check out your property? If so, THAT is the real and ultimate red flag.

They sound like scammers, pushy and outright nuts.