Scam: rental of our apartment

Scam: rental of our apartment

Alert SCAM: This is to warn other hosts not to accept any requests of rental from the person with this profile)
Our apartment has been rented by a local, who had multiple visits over the weekend; offering our apartment on FB. He got a renter; who paid cash first month and the deposit. Happily for us, someone who visited the apartment contacted me by the inquiry and delivered chat trail and the copy of the fake contract.
Place: Mexico City. Person renting on airbnb : **, aca ** on the FB and rental contract.
Currently our admin is removing the person who rented the room from the apartment; but we know that the keys have been cloned; and we do not know how many people will still show up to move in next days.
The fraud was renting bigger room for the price of 4100 pesos a month, meanwhile the rental in this area is at least 15 000 without charges.
The fraud was claiming that he lives in the smaller room, which he locked with a key. We had to break in, as he took all the keys.
BEWARE. Lesson: do not rent to locals for short term…

** personal details hidden

2 Replies 2
Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Justyna-and-Marco0

I'm sorry you had to go through this, how did everything end? Did you get a chance to contact the Support team to share what happened and get further support?

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

@Emilie what sort of coveragedoes a host have in this situation? I would assume the locks being changed are covered. What about issues with all the poor scammed "renters" showing up to move in during other guest's real bookings? I imagine that will be quite a scene and not pleasant for those on vacation to deal with! Does Airbnb help out with those reviews since this was out of the host's hands entirely?