Scammed bu guest who wanted to avoid late cancellation fee

Jyri0
Level 2
Fuengirola, ES

Scammed bu guest who wanted to avoid late cancellation fee

I was today victim of a guest who wanted to avoid late cancellation fee.

Guest contacted to airbnb and said that he can not contact us. That we do not answer. (we have 100% answering rate)

Airbnb send only email that guest has contacted them saying that he can not contact us, and we do not answer.

Airbnb says that if we not answer them in 30 minutes they will cancel booking on our behalf and we get bad review and cancellation fine.

Here is email 1 and 2 from airbnb:

Natalia V, Jun 12, 10:13 CDT:

Hello Jyri,

My name is Natalia and I’m writing on behalf of your guest Igor, who has contacted us to inform that he cannot check in the listing and you are not responding.

Please, get back to me within 30 minutes whether you can or cannot host Igor, otherwise we'll have to cancel the reservation with penalties.

Looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

email number 2:

Natalia V, Jun 12, 11:22 CDT:

Hello Jyri,

Unfortunately, I haven't received a reply from you and at the moment I had to proceed with cancellation of [personal information hidden] reservation from your side.

For your reference, here's a copy of the terms you agreed to when canceling this reservation:

1. An automatic review appears on your listing indicating that a reservation was canceled.
2. Your calendar will remain unavailable/blocked for the dates of the reservation.
3. You are subject to a cancellation fee if you cancel more than once in a six-month period; $50 USD for each canceled reservation after one in a six-month period, or $100 USD for each canceled reservation that begins in 7 days or less.

In case you have any additional questions, just let me know.

Kind regards,

Natalia

I am not checking emails in every 15 minutes, It is really weird that Airbnb did not send any sms or message via app.

Airbnb can see our communication between guest and that proofs the whole thing is a scam by guest who do not want to pay late cancellation fee. 

I do not understand how Airbnb can blame host and penalize host, for scammer?

I answered airbnb email after their 30 minute threat and airbnb do not answer (most probaqbly they have automatic system that response after 30 minutes is automatically deleted.

Can anybody help us and say what to do?

4 Replies 4
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Jyri0 First of all i am very sorry to hear such terrible things happening to you. Unfortunately there are many scammers on the network these days and this is very unfair that Airbnb gave you only 30mins to reply. It look like you were setup by a scammer who isnt new to the network. Give Airbnb a call on the following number and explain them the situation in details Spain / España: +34 91 123 45 67. Good luck for the future!!!

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Jyri0 out of curiosity, is the guest a new user in airbnb?

yes

"I do not understand how Airbnb can blame host and penalize host, for scammer? "

because the scammer is a guest and that is all that matters to Airbnb ... Support staff  arent there to investigate ..they just do what the guests ask.( in a high % of cases) . ....no wonder there are so many scammers...Airbnb encourages them ...invites them in   

How did the guest try and communicate with you? ..

Do you have messages from them?

Do you have any "missed call " log on your phone, for the date and times? 

Take up a Resolution case and complain your case....ask the questions you need answering especially if you have the proof that the guests didnt try and contact you ..prove to them it was a scammer