Scented Toilet Paper, Please NO!

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Scented Toilet Paper, Please NO!

Generally speaking, scented toilet paper is not available in the United States. If there is any scent at all it is on cardboard core not on the paper itself.  The reason I’m posting about this is because I have a skin condition called Lichen Sclerosis.  I’m not going to go into detail, Google can explain. Suffice it to say though that scented toilet paper can make my condition unbearable. In my support group on Facebook, a woman who is traveling in Hungary,  has posted about an experience at a “holiday home“ that all she has available is scented toilet paper. It didn’t occur to her that she might need to bring her own. I advised her to get in touch with the host and let them know that the toilet paper was very bad for her medical condition. Most of the hosts of any type of holiday home are generally fairly conscientious and would probably replace it for her. I thought it would be a good thing to just post here and let Hosts know, please don’t even put it in your listing in the first place.  For most people, with or without skin condition, scented toilet paper is really very bad for them, whether they are aware of it or not. A Host might think they are enhancing the experience by providing scented toilet paper, but, from all the people that suffer from delicate skin conditions, thank you but no thank you. 

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ava30  I don't have a skin condition, but scented toilet paper is disgusting. I once bought some by accident, and every time I walked into my bathroom, it took me a minute to remember what that awful cheap Woolworths perfume smell was. 

Why people think they need scented toilet paper to wipe their butt is beyond me.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

I remember from the 80’s, that much of it was not only scented but dyed pink and blue with roses imprinted all over it! 

@Ava30

While Henry and I stick to unscented items most of the time, if you or any guest has a medical condition or sensitivities I would think it's the guest's responsibility to inform the host and check in advance rather than to "assume" all hosts around the world buy unscented TP. 

I am sensitive to fragrances and those plug-in scents that some people like to use give me a raging headache. Most of the time, unplugging them and airing out the room is good enough. I would not assume everyone is like me and would not blame or fault others for using scented products. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0, I agree, and while I don't get headaches, I find all those scented products such as the plug-ins, sprays, etc sickening. Give me the lingering aroma of brewed coffee.

I think it's best to leave scented products out of the picture, as everyone has different tastes when it comes to that sort of thing.

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Yes, that is true. That is why I suggested that she contact the host and ask if there was an alternative. It is also made it clear to me that when I travel I should keep even necessities like unscented toilet paper with me so that my condition is not aggravated. At least if I travel out of country. In the United States, I know I can buy the toilet paper that I prefer pretty much everywhere  in the country. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Ava30  I had not been aware of the medical condition you identify.  Thank you for increasing my awareness. I am not a fan of fake scents at all, so I don't use scented dryer sheets, light scented candles and never even thought to use scented TP 😄   I do love natural scents however.

In the hotel industry, at least here in the US, many hotels try to develop a "signature scent" which are pumped into the community rooms and incorporated into private rooms as well.  These scents are to support the brand of the hotel.  

At my place in the desert, I encourage guests to enjoy the fresh air...