Screening Guests?

Answered!

Screening Guests?

Am I allowed to get the name of all the guests coming to my house prior to accepting a booking request?  We can house up to 6 people and I would like to know who is included in the group in addition to the person booking. 

Am I allowed to request Social Media / other information about all the guests coming to my  house  prior to accepting a booking request?

1 Best Answer
John108
Level 2
Seattle, WA

You are entitled to know the the names of all your overnight guests (and their overnight guests).  A number of cities are now asking vacation rental hosts to keep a log with this information.  Often a booking guest will volunteer the information or will casually refer to the other guest(s).  When this does not happen, we ask for at least the first name(s) and then we verify at check-in.  We only do face-to-face check-ins.  We have never turned a guest away at check-in but insisting on face-to-face check-ins lets the guest(s) know we are careful.  Our neighbors appreciate the extra precautions as well.  

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Sylvia85 you can ask your potentional guest for all the informations you want. They may or may not tell you so you may or may not approve their inquiry 🙂

I do not ask for identity of my guests upfront (I have instant booking) but they have to show me their photo ID on check in and I take personal info from all guests in a group, even children. It is mandatory .

Wayne9
Level 4
Metairie, LA

Prior to accepting the reservation, you can ask and they might tell you.  After confirming the reservation, I think it is totally legitimate to get the names of all guests staying at the home.  Asking for social media information might be a stretch and if they have reviews in Airbnb, I've found that the reviews are a good indication of what type of guest they will be.  If someone doesn't have alot of reviews, I usually ask a couple of questions from the angle of wanting to make sure the house is a good fit for them.  I usually ask where they are travelling from, if they have ever visited the area or stayed in an Airbnb before, and if they are in town for an event (the event dates can be verified)  Usually, I find people are open and understand that you are renting to strangers.  If I have a good back-and-forth with the guest, I go ahead with the booking.

John108
Level 2
Seattle, WA

You are entitled to know the the names of all your overnight guests (and their overnight guests).  A number of cities are now asking vacation rental hosts to keep a log with this information.  Often a booking guest will volunteer the information or will casually refer to the other guest(s).  When this does not happen, we ask for at least the first name(s) and then we verify at check-in.  We only do face-to-face check-ins.  We have never turned a guest away at check-in but insisting on face-to-face check-ins lets the guest(s) know we are careful.  Our neighbors appreciate the extra precautions as well.  

JC-Vacations0
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

@Sylvia85 I usually do not request this information unless their profile looks incomplete or they do not have any reviews. 

A quick look background check on their names can often yield lots of information on what type of guests they are 🙂

@Sylvia85 - You can ask for all of that but Airbnb is likely going to block any personal last names, references to Facebook, Linked In or otherwise in the emails between the two of you.  They block websites and references to other major services like Google, VRBO, and such as well.  Only once the reservation is accepted can you be given all details just as guests are not given all of your details until the deal is done.  This is a safety precaution.  

https://www.airbnb.com/trust

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1170/what-are-the-requirements-to-book-on-airbnb

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/4/how-does-airbnb-help-build-trust-between-hosts-and-guests?topi...

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/231/i-m-a-host--what-are-some-safety-tips-i-can-follow

Once you have a reservation request, you only have 24 hours to act on it or else you'll be penalized.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/363/what-does-each-reservation-status-mean

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/28/what-do-i-do-after-i-receive-a-reservation-request

I face a similar situation. A guest requesting a booking for 4 people is new to Airbnb.  I asked and she told me her 3 companions names, and that they are all experienced guest- just not her. 

Even with their full names, I do not see anyway to see the review on the 3 guests.  

Is there any way to do this? 

MariaLuiza4
Level 3
Sao Paulo, Brazil

As an airbnb host, I ask for my guests full name and ID *after* they book (I see no reason to ask for that before). Background check is through the platform works fine as well. Sometimes you just need to be open to who is coming (say, in the case of someone new in the platform). Usually things turn out fine! We are constantly being reminded of bad situations through the media, but I believe it is a tiny fraction of guests that can be really problematic.

As a guest (yes, I'm both), I just booked a place where the host asked for my ID and address AND social media (instagram and facebook). I honestly felt harassed and questioned him. Plus, he contacted me through whatsapp (against Airbnb's instructions) and after insisting on these info, I asked him to reply to me through Airbnb platform. He must've checked that it is not okay to insist on those because now he is fine with the info I sent him.

I even feel a bit too shy to ask my guests their full names and IDs (but when I ask for that I remember that is a business reason)... I never thought I'd have a host that would ask for my instagram account! This is why I feel that is extremely important to be a guest when you're a host; there's nothing like putting yourself on other people's shoes.