Search results better when searching for my own listing vs. Incognito in Chrome

Donna-and-Mitch0
Level 2
Hendersonville, NC

Search results better when searching for my own listing vs. Incognito in Chrome

When I'm logged into Airbnb and I search a specific date range, Dec. 18-21, with Entire Home, Instant Book and Pets Allowed, I come up on the first page, midway down.

If I open an Incognito window in Chrome, meaning Airbnb doesn't know it's me checking, I don't come up at all with Instant Book turned on (which we have enabled for our listing) and when I turn off Instant Book, we come up on page 3.

Can anyone offer some insight to this discrepency? I'm more concerned that I'm not coming up at all with Instant Book as part of the search criteria, but also curious why the exact same search has us listed so well when Airbnb knows we are the ones searching vs. when a complete stranger searches.  Is their search algorithym purposely designed to make hosts think their listing has better placement? 

5 Replies 5
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

The search algorithm is tricky, @Donna-and-Mitch0, and Airbnb try to trick hosts as much as possible, it's true. I guess other websites use similar tools (booking.com does)

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Donna-and-Mitch0,

As you're government ID verified yourself and your listing has instant book turned on might it be that you also require guests to have submitted government ID?

If you do require that then that explains why you don't see your listing when you search in an incognito window. As you say, Airbnb then doesn't know that it's you searching. The issue is that they don't know at all who is searching and so cannot know if the searcher fulfills your requirements. Hence your listing will not be shown. If you have that requirement your listing will be shown only to logged in searchers who have submitted government ID.

I could find your listing only when logged in. I've submitted government ID.

In this case it's not that you're listed well when searching for your own listing it's that your listing isn't shown to any searcher if Airbnb cannot determine whether they satisfy your booking criteria.

I, a complete stranger, see your listing on the first page when I'm logged in as I have submitted government ID.

The article below has tips on searching for your instant book listing.

Searching-for-your-Instant-Book-Listing

The article below has information on things that influence search result ordering.

Your-top-questions-about-Airbnb-Search

Steve.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Donna-and-Mitch0. If you have set any of the requirements necessary to instantly book your listing (positive reviews from other hosts, Government ID) and you are not logged in when using incognito mode, you will not see your listing when the IB filter is set to ON.

Why is this?  It is because unless you are logged into the site, Airbnb is unable to see if you meet the requirements and because of this will not display your listing.  

Airbnb only wants to offer IB listings with requirements to those who meet them.  

Try logging into your account when searching and you will see more IB listings, including yours, assuming you yourself meet the requirements you have set on your listing. 

Hope this helps!

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Donna-and-Mitch0

I have no government verified ID and with Instant book switched off, you come up no1 for the dates and price I searched and I can request to book. With Instant book switched on you are not displayed to me.

Untitled4.jpg

Thanks for everyone who commented.  That does make perfect sense that the listing is not showing up because I'm not searching as a verified user. I guess I never considered peope would allow Instant Book without the extra protection of verified guests, so I was confused to see others but not myself.  I would have guessed the place would show up but then not allow the Instan Book unless verified.

Thanks again to all that clarified.