Secrets from a seasoned Superhost

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Secrets from a seasoned Superhost

663fa24f.jpeg

Superhosts are experienced hosts who work towards delivering top notch experiences for guests. They are experienced in hospitality and communication who know how to meet the expectations of numerous guests. 

Some of the most popular ways to upgrade your hosting practice is to take great photos of your listing with a detailed description, setting the expectation of guests at the same time. Many members in the community like to share how they built their listing from scratch to superhost. Take a look at these topics to get informed: 

@Alexis140  says “I have a very simple rule. I treat all of my guests the way I would want to be treated if I stayed in their home.” in How to be a Superhost 

@Clara116 started a topic on [Festival] 7 things that seem to be 5 star makers which gives you a great overview of things that you as a host can prepare to create a 5 star experience. 

As a superhost, what kind of tips can you give to hosts who have just started hosting? What do you think is the most important thing that you did to maintain the status?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

33 Replies 33
Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Stephanie 

Secrets from a Seasoned Superhost??

Ah, don't tempt me, Steph...!! 😉

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It may not be always positive but we do appreciate your feedback @Susan17 ! Can't speak to your taste in footie teams mind you... 

-----

@Stephanie 

Ha! Truth be told, I've actually always been a Gooners fan on the quiet, Steph, but I was forced to switch allegiances to Man U when my sons came along and it soon became clear that United - and only United - would be the team of choice in our house!

I've never had the heart to admit to them that I once bought an Arsenal season ticket as a birthday present for an old boyfriend, back in the halcyon days when London was still my playground... they'd disown me on the spot if that dirty little skeleton ever fell out of the closet (the season ticket skeleton, I mean, not the ex.. he did manage to make it out alive...) 😉

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Stephanie 

As a superhost, what kind of tips can you give to hosts who have just started hosting? What do you think is the most important thing that you did to maintain the status?

Here are my answers to your questions

1. Most important tips to start hosting are

(1) to work hard and devote your time and energy entirely to prepare your listing ready for every guest.

(2) Take it seriously even if you do it seasonal and just have one listing

2. The most important thing that you did to maintain the status

Beg the guests to leave 5 stars 🙂

While I have all 5 stars as a superhost, I have never even mentioned to my guests to give me a review. Airbnb does that automatically.

I would say the most important thing I have done to update my listing is to create several timed automatic replies to contact the guests along the way. I tell them that it is an automated email right within each email. 

Secondly I spent $300 + to have the bedroom door keyed for guests and I have a master key. Also important has been to install the keypad on the front door. Previously I had a lockbox which was not as easy to use. That way if I am not home they can let themselves in. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Stephanie  One simple rule:  The guest always comes first.

I agree with that statement.  I put myself in my guest place which helps me to forsee their expectations.

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Very important rule! 

Give your guests some space and don't offer too much free stuff because a lot of guests can get oncomfortable when they are not used to great hospitality! 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Stephanie @Kira32 @Ann72 @Alice595 @Susan17 

Shhh, they are no longer a seceret if posted in here are they @Stephanie ??? 😉

I won't tell @Alexis140  or @Clara116  that you have shared their secrets with us....

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oops! I don't suppose they would mind if their tips help their fellow hosts though @Helen427 !

-----

Hello everyone,

Treat your guest as you liked to be treated, that's my golden rule 🙂

And receive them with a great smile.

Nancy115
Level 5
Mills River, NC

It doesn't matter if you have an upscale apartment or a small room in your home. Guests want to feel comfortable. That means different things to each guest. Here are my tips

1. Make your guests feel welcome.

2. Make their space comfortable with a selection of pillows, blankets and toiletries.

3. Be there when they need you, otherwise melt into the background

4. Know the types of guests that fit your space and tailor your listing to attract them. Ex don't accept young children if your place isn't child proofed

Peter2547
Level 1
San Pedro Sula, HN

In my short experience, i have found out it is key to be able to provide:

1- A sparking clean place, since a dirty or disorganized place will never we welcomed regarless of price.

2- Outstanding hospitality will always be important,  since people want to feel that, welcomed and appreciated to visit a place is not theirs.

3- A stylish place will also make feel the visitor at ease, reflecting the level of detail the host has gone to provide something else besides a bed.

There are more things to look after such as ammenities and a good bed are also important, but the 3 items just listed will certainly get the ball rollin'! 

Natalie725
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Hello!

1.5 years hosting and this is what I've found gets a positive response... ->

1. Make guests feel secure and confident about their upcoming stay - 

From the first point of contact, I make sure guests know that I understand everything about their booking. I spell it out to them, by repeating all the specifics of the booking back to them. I also use this first message to answer any potential questions before they come up. So, my first booking message includes an FAQ section and looks like this:

Hi XXX,

Lovely to hear from you and thanks for choosing our place! I can confirm your stay from  XX to XX. Also no problem for a XX pm arrival time. To further help plan for your stay, I've put together a list of FAQs. Here they are below:

....(this info details: how to check in, transport options, parking, Airbnb guidebook, general tips and advice).....

Kind regards,

Natalie. 

To avoid information overload, I present everything in short paragraphs with individual headings. 3 days before arrival, I'll then reach out again with the check-in guide. I ask them to look over it and let me know if there's any issues (this message reassures them that I'm still prepared and gearing up for their stay). I find these two pre-arrival messages really help guests feel at ease before they arrive (so you are already starting off with a good impression).  

2. Personal touches - once they arrive, the see a welcome board with their names on it, a homemade jar with a list of things to do in the area. Before they arrive, sometimes I'll ask longer stays (or difficult seeming guests) what specific fruits/snacks they'd like on arrival.

3. For seasonal events, go the extra mile: like NYE (put in sparklers and prosecco), Valentines Day (heart shaped chocolates, roses), Christmas (christmas stockings with their snacks inside). 

3. Amenities - guests like to feel like they're getting a bargain - so I try to include lots of amenities and basically bulk buy on Amazon for half the price. So herbal teas/ breakfast teas/ ground coffee/ pot noodle/ crisps/ pocket tissues/ umbrellas (we're in Ireland)/ cookies/ water jug/ granola bars/ OTC medications for travel related illnesses/ deodorants/ toothpaste/ face wipes/ dry shampoo, etc etc etc.... 

4. Clean clean clean - hunting out pubes, hairs, any fuzzies left over from last stay! Getting dust off skirting boards - the small things.. 

5. Quick responses - trying to answer questions at the same quick pace as if it was a business email in the office. As its your business! 

6. Making guests feel at home and welcome - being warm and confident on arrival. Letting them know you're there for them, but also showing them that this isn't a free-for-all - so essentially acting like a receptionist on arrival.  Always trying to meet guests in person, as they'll look on you more favourably if they have seen your face and talked to you (therefore not just a number they can critique harshly).

Hope this can help someone!