Secrets from a seasoned Superhost

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Secrets from a seasoned Superhost

663fa24f.jpeg

Superhosts are experienced hosts who work towards delivering top notch experiences for guests. They are experienced in hospitality and communication who know how to meet the expectations of numerous guests. 

Some of the most popular ways to upgrade your hosting practice is to take great photos of your listing with a detailed description, setting the expectation of guests at the same time. Many members in the community like to share how they built their listing from scratch to superhost. Take a look at these topics to get informed: 

@Alexis140  says “I have a very simple rule. I treat all of my guests the way I would want to be treated if I stayed in their home.” in How to be a Superhost 

@Clara116 started a topic on [Festival] 7 things that seem to be 5 star makers which gives you a great overview of things that you as a host can prepare to create a 5 star experience. 

As a superhost, what kind of tips can you give to hosts who have just started hosting? What do you think is the most important thing that you did to maintain the status?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

33 Replies 33

I'm fairly new at hosting, and have been wondering this:  Once the reservation is confirmed, guest are given access to the house rules, address etc.  But I also send them the house rules in a message a few days prior to their stay.  Is that the right thing to do?  

thanks -

Ava

Hello Ava (Ava557),   

Yes sending them the house rules is a good idea. 

I have an old circa 1906 two flat home and rent out both apartments on Airbnb.

They are completely remodeled and are very clean and modern.  It is only 4 miles from my home.  I also have a separate office (shop) at the location and have a business there.   When I get a reservation, I ask them to call me on the check in date when they are 1/2 hour away so I can check them in.   Upon arrival I have sign the house rules and give them a copy.  Included in the house rules are my penalties (i.e. $25 per night if they have a pet in the house).   That way they know up front what are the expectations.

Dean

Hi everyone.  I am new at hosting as well and looking for some support.  I have been following almost all of the practices listed above (except to greet guests at door) to ensure the condo is spotless, I have all amenities including a little gift, have reasonable rates, communicate immediately with everyone but I seem to not be getting many bookings.  Can anyone help?  I don't know what I am doing wrong.  Thank you and look forward to some thoughts and ideas. Kim

Hi everyone.  I am new at hosting as well and looking for some support.  I have tried to follow clear guidelines to ensure the condo is spotless, I have all amenities including a little gift, have reasonable rates, communicate immediately with everyone but I seem to not be getting many bookings.  Can anyone help?  I don't know what I am doing wrong.  Thank you and look forward to some thoughts and ideas. Kim

@Kim2971  Your place looks quite nice and I really couldn't say why you aren't getting bookings, but one thing that jumps out at me is that your max guest count seems to be at odds with the space you have. You list for 4 guests, but there is only one bedroom and one queen size bed. And a small dining table suitable for 2. So why are you listing for 4 guests? It should be listed for 2.

Also, you haven't described the space itself in the listing description. Go back to Edit listing, and fill out all the sections.

HI Sarah, 

Thank you so much for your feedback and comments.  I have found the listing description and added to it!  

We have used the sofa in the living room as a bed (two twin sides) and have been told that it is more comfortable than a sofa bed so thought perhaps I could count that.   I have a sofa bed on order but deliveries are taking 4 months here so it will only arrive in about 1.5 months.

Dining room table accommodates 3-4 but photos may not show that.  The kitchen bar has only 2 bar stools.  I was hesitant to promote only 2 guests but will consider that based upon your feedback. 

Thank you so much and please let me know if there is anything else!

Kim

@Kim2971  Well, I couldn't find anywhere that you mentioned a sofa bed for 2 more guests. And the photo I was looking at with the table said "dining room" and I saw what looked like a small bistro table with 2 chairs, not what someone would consider ample dining space for 4 adults.

Just because you could sleep 4 by using a sofa bed in the living room doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea. It's up to you, but sometimes it's less stressful to just host a couple than 4 people. Sofa beds aren't normally all that comfortable. And it relegates the living room to no longer being a common space if people are sleeping there. You will likely get guests inquiring as to whether they could bring a friend anyway, so if you listed for 2, you could always then say that yes, there's a sofa bed that could be used and charge an extra guest fee. 

As you say you aren't getting bookings, you could try changing it to 2, and see if maybe that would attract more bookings. You can always change it back again.

Thank you so much Sarah.... you are so kind and I appreciate your time and your willingness to help.  Thanks again! Kim

If your table setting is for 2 people and you have 2 eating spaces at the counter with barstools, put that in your description.  People then at least know 4 people can eat at the same time. As far as the sleeping arrangements,  make a note that the sofas sleep 2. Not sure where your Rental is but most times, vacation renters only use the rental to eat and sleep. They're out enjoying g the area. Stress what makes your place unique. Area, cozy, etc. And put that in your listing. Example, mine in " 5 min. Walk to the beach!" Good luck! Hope this helps.

Irma260
Level 1
Irving, TX

I am new at Airbnb and I have a question. We currently don't have a table bc it's very hard to get a nice table in the country of El Salvador. It's currently being made and wanted to know if there would be a problem not having a table and having people in our home?

Irma C Portillo
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hey @Irma260 welcome to Airbnb and the community!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Is there a counter the guests can eat at? Most people will be expecting a table to eat at or a counter with stools to sit on

Kelley Hartwyk
Geraldine147
Level 2
Trumbull, CT

WHAT TOPICS DO YOU INCLUDE IN THE WELCOME FOLDER?

Directions regarding parking and checkin. If there is any days their car needs to be moved for street sweeping. WiFi sign on info., access instructions to any bikes, paddle boards, etc. info for extra towels and blankets.  Suggestions for dining and excursions,.  
I feel people want the info but also want their private so having the info in their check in works best

Kelley Hartwyk
Bel6965
Level 2
Tirana, Albania

Before I wanted to become a host, I knew nothing of Airbnb, so I decided I could first use it as a guest so I could see how it works, check-in/out, what is provided from the host, communication and everything... 

I must say, some experiences teach us what to do and some others teach us what not to do. As in the case I learned that my place should never ever be uncleaned, and that communication is the very basic for building good and satisfying relationships, be them long or short term. 

In short, it is our duty as hosts to provide a sparkling clean place, this is not a bonus, this is our duty, if we are into hosting. 

Greetings to all, 

May the community grow bigger!