Security Deposit misleading for guests

Tracey28
Level 2
Freiburg, Germany

Security Deposit misleading for guests

I have had numerous guests ask me if they have to pay the security deposit at the time of their booking. I know this information is in the Airbnb pages, but the guests haven't been reading about it, and the security deposit in the listing is misleading and guests are discouraged from booking.  I rent rooms in my house and would like to set a very high security deposit to cover possible damages. However, I set it low, too low to really cover any typical damages, only because I was afraid it has kept some people from booking. The security fee, particularly when it is high, is a deterent to guests, because they think their credit card will be charged when they book the room. An explanation that the deposit is only charged AFTER their stay and only if damages have occurred needs to be ABSOLUTELY VISIBLE to guests on each listing--or a pop-up window when hovering with the mouse over a "?" (question mark) could include this information, because even a link to the information might be overlooked.

2 Replies 2
Andrew90
Level 10
New York, NY

@Tracey28  I'm with you but the bigger problem is HOW AirBNB actually handles the security deposit and the difficulty hosts have in collecting for what I feel are genuine costs. (like cleaning after someone smokes cigargs in a non smoking unit).  With other services I withhold the security at my discretion. 

I basically consider both the Security deposit and Host guarantee basically worthless and just accept the risk.  This was one of the main reasons I never listed with AirBNB until recently. 

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ

This is exactly the point... Airbnb does not actually hold a security deposit against their card, so by definition IT IS NOT A SECURITY DEPOSIT! 

airbnb really needs to wither make it a true security deposit or call it something different. Until then it’s deceitful and misleading at best... Fraudulent, criminal  and negligent at worst. 

Either way, a host will quickly realize that the deposit really means nothing once you actually have to try and get it. Damage caused by guests or additional expenses such as extra cleaning/deodorizing of home due to smoking/marijuana/drugs/animals must be accepted by the guest and if the decline you are likely going to be at a loss... both for words and money.