Security Deposit

Mary496
Level 2
Wall Township, NJ

Security Deposit

Just had a couple leave who had stained brand new sheets and after requesting of guest what had caused the stains was told "what stains?" after using everything in my arsenal to extract same stains and now Airbnb is apparently not going to access the security deposit to replace those sheets.  So now I was just sent updated rules and regulations regarding my responsibilities and from what I can see very little responsibility (or enforcement) on the part of the guest.  I requested a $500 deposit for damages and now I see its arbitration and so they outright lie and you get screwed--what's the point of the security deposit if they don't access it? Do not think I'll be doing this for much longer, very disallusioned with people in general and corporate specifically--people lie all the time and corporate does nothing but cover their a--.

**[Title Updated]

50 Replies 50

I contacted Airbnb within 18 hours of the guests departure.  I also required a security deposit.  I offered to send them the sheets so they can see stains.  The stains appear oil based and my guess is that one of the guests put suntan lotion on and never took a shower and the other issue  is that these sheets are bronze colored.  Online it gives a whole bunch of solutions but unfortunately most require scrubbing and once that happens the sheets will show scrubbing marks.  Also it repeatedly states that type of stain is very difficult to remove.  I contacted Airbnb within the 24 hour period required and I had also specified a $500 security deposit. Since these sheets are brand new, I've already sent Airbnb the receipts, I offered to send the sheets to them, and I took pictures and sent them.  In addition I told the guest that if she'd tell what it was I would try to get whatever it is out but she insists that she knows nothing about it.  Really?!!  They had already paid a $50 cleaning fee but she decided that she was going to wash all the linens and supposedly clean the entire 2000 sq ft apartment before she left out of the goodness of her heart.  Since she left a note saying she washed the linen I was impressed by her consideration an responded in kind.  Only to find within an hour that the sheets had these stains.  Not one single guest has ever washed the linens or cleaned and that was before I instituted a cleaning fee.  Apparently she's exceedingly exceptional. We plied them with drinks, acquiesed to what ever they asked for and repeatedly allowed their friends and relatives access to the property without them ever even mentioning those plans only to find in the write-up that we were denigrated and ridiculed.  I don't know how I will repond in the future with other guests but my responses will no longer be lauditory and I absolutely feel scammed.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mary496

Mary, suntan lotion is not a stain I have come across so, I cannot offer specific advice on that but I will find out tomorrow what is effective on this type of stain. If it is oil based it should respond to being washed in a weak solution of Eucalyptus oil. This oil is great for removing adhesive labels from purchased merchandise and it has worked for me when one guest spilt a bottle of peanut oil onto a kitchen bench and mopped it up with a bath towel!

I know it is probably too late now but I will find out and post a remedy for you tommorow!

Cheers.....Rob

@Mary496, aside from the issue with the stained sheets: You wrote those guests a very, very nice review, but they wrote you a so-so review, mildly critical of you.  You then wrote a lengthy reply under that, being a bit defensive.

Two things about that:

1.) You must have written your review before you even detected the issue with the sheets, within 12 hours or so of their departure. Always wait to write a review, until for sure you have everything examined.

2.) Also, a lengthy response under a review on your page is not really aimed at that guest anymore, even though you might think it is. They are gone, stay is over. If you feel you need to set them straight about something, do it privately, never publicly on your profile.

What any host response really does is showcasing our basic disposition and demeanor, for future guests to see how we handle ourselves with guests. They want to see a gracious, professional host, not a defensive one. So you always lose if you use the response as a way to argue with the previous guest. Always keep that in mind! Best is to at most tactfully say something "nice" or conciliatory under a critical review. And under a positive review, express your apprecaition and thank them for the nice review.

@Mary0 I do so hope you hear what Annette is saying - attitude is everything and folks will read your attitude by

the responses on your reviews. I just read them - I am sorry you are struggling but sometimes I think we have to 

really pick our battles! just my thoughts.....and your body might really like a massage - so go and let your body enjoy cause all this

stress is a drag.............p.s. I'm a massage therapist of 15 yrs. !

I understand what you are saying BUT 2 things occurred;  we  were very accommodating to these guests and went out of our way to reply to all their requests and more and when I saw their response I was disappointed but when I later realized why it had been done I was very angry.  At my age I really don't expect much from people anymore but the ridicule she aimed at us in an effort to equalize the damage she had done and to make us appear foolish and delinquent was totally uncalled for. I've read a number of articles lately making mention that rarely do people admit to their mistakes anymore it's always the fault of the other person and if you add to that they would be responsible for paying for that mistake people will lie to cover it up or to justify their acts.  I may be older but hardly incompetent, addled or silly and being targeted as such online, for their purposes, is unconscionable and unjustifiable.

@Mary496

I stopped reading my reviews a long time ago, perhaps I need to be more pro active but having no control decided there was no point, I know most people are fine and for the odd weirdo so what.

David

I know you are right and I'll have to temper my incliation to be effusive but I really hate being suspicious and therefore expecting the worst.  Thanks for your thoughts.

For some stupid reason I thought I was addressing Airbnb not the world.

@Mary496  and everyone in this thread.  

You may or may not know this, but when you take the time to publicly leave a response under your guests review, they do NOT receive a copy of that.  Airbnb does NOT send an email of what you wrote, they do NOT post it to the guests account, and the guests will NOT even know you wrote it...Unless....you copy and paste it and send it to their accounts message Inbox.   After I write a public reponse, (and I do for every guests), I always copy and paste it into my guests ABB inbox so they can see that I took the extra time to thank them for their beautiful review, acknowledging their feedback and for quite a few of my former guests, it gives me one more chance to say...."Come Back Soon." 

IF you don't send it to your guests, then the only people who will see it are the ones coming to your listing page for the first time.  

Key thing to remember, they won't see it via the app.  Public reponses can be viewed using the website only.  If someone is using the ABB app to find a place to stay and they are reading the many reviews, they will NOT see any public responses. 

Yesterday, while looking for another ABB stay for our next trip, I read another hosts public response to a guests who apparently had quite a bit to say in "Private Feedback" about the listings' bed, WIFI router, towels, and lack of shampoo.  Unfortunately, her response came across as sarcastic, snippy and unappreciative of the public and private feedback she received.  I thought it was kind of the guest to write all of her concerns in private since none of that (bed, wifi, shampoo, etc)  was actually mentioned in the decent PUBLIC review. 

And yes, its very important to always be diplomatic, professional and sincere.  Guests absolutely do get things wrong...all the time, so definitely address whatever it is they wrote in public that wasn't right...and if they give constructive critisism in private, then send them a private message back letting them know you resolved, fixed and/or repaired what was needed as mentioned in their feedback .  IT shows you care as host going forward. 

I had a guests suggests I install DARKER curtains in her private feedback when I first started to block out more sunlight.  I did a week later, took a photo and sent it to her thanking me for her feedback.  She was thrilled. I also still supply sleeping masks for those who want to feel complete darkness and good ear plugs just in case they don't like hearing singing birds at 7am.  🙂  Thank god 90% of my guests love it. 

Thank you everyone for reading my post.  (it was edited to fix a typo lol)

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

@Branka-and-Silvia0 This is a good Recipe for cleaning. 

@Clara116 Branka & Silvia have described the claims process well, you have 48 hrs OR until you next guest checks in the enter your claim. So the claim window considerably shrinks if you have another guest coming same day. 

We often have back-to-back guests, so I cannot possibly file a claim before the next guests check-in 4 hours later. I did just recently started charging a deposit simply in hopes of keeping people honest if they think I can charge them for ruining or stealing things. I also started charging a cleaning fee of $30. This would easily cover the cost of anything small that goes missing. If they don't come forward and tell me they did something, it will go into their feedback. I have a bunch of back-up sheet sets and even comforters/coverlets. Don't buy fancy ones! The second I bought a nice set some jerk got black greasey stains on it...from his bike I think. I was so mad. Lesson learned. I found a burn hole in a rug, too. Hid that under the bed. Luckily...cheap IKEA rug. So, yeah, don't buy nice things. Things that look nice will do just as well. Over 200 guests and I will tell you they do not care about your things. I think the word is "entitled". Get used to it.

@Todd-and-Reese0

One option if you have damage and a short turn around is to contact AirBnb explain that you need to submit a claim under the Host Guarantee but do not have time before the next guest so they need to find them alternative accomodation, make sure you make it clear this is an Extenuating Circumstance. Repeat and repeat.

David

I will remember to do that if I ever have to do a major claim. 

Having back to back guests is a huge risk if anything goes wrong. If you cost benefit analysis finds this to be more profitable then a day off then the income will pay for the problems.

C-L-0
Level 2
Riverside, CA

@Mary496 I purchase second hand sheets, mattress cover, towels, Hand and face cloths. They get ruined, I toss!