Security Deposit

Mary496
Level 2
Wall Township, NJ

Security Deposit

Just had a couple leave who had stained brand new sheets and after requesting of guest what had caused the stains was told "what stains?" after using everything in my arsenal to extract same stains and now Airbnb is apparently not going to access the security deposit to replace those sheets.  So now I was just sent updated rules and regulations regarding my responsibilities and from what I can see very little responsibility (or enforcement) on the part of the guest.  I requested a $500 deposit for damages and now I see its arbitration and so they outright lie and you get screwed--what's the point of the security deposit if they don't access it? Do not think I'll be doing this for much longer, very disallusioned with people in general and corporate specifically--people lie all the time and corporate does nothing but cover their a--.

**[Title Updated]

50 Replies 50
Ana635
Level 2
Kitchener, Canada

Hi Mary, 

So sad to hear such a bad review from Airbnb. I just signed up with Airbnb and all confused due to the lack of communication. I was wondering regarding the Security Deposit as well and how does it work. Does Airbnb recieve it ??? are they supposed to handle it ??? or as I can see according to your story they are non responsive. 

I'm confused. 

hello @Ana635 if you are a new host like myself you might want to read everything you can find on Airbnb about hosting- 

it is all there to learn. all about everything. I figure it this way - if you don't learn it now you will learn it and

like @Mary be struggling and stressing out over stuff that you could have  perhaps avoided or handled a different or more

productive way.  all the best, Clara

@Ana635@Clara116 , to properly highlight someone you are talking to, first just type the @ symbol, which brings up the last 5 names in the conversation, then click on the profile picture of the person you want to highlight, it will then automatically get filled in, with that name underlined. voila! note that it is very difficult to highlight people who are presently not part of the conversation.

@Annette33 got it.....Thanks teach! You are great!

@Clara116 , I cannot tell you how rewarding and encouraging it is to get such great feedback and expresssion of appreciation: that is what keeps us "older" hosts going, nothing like it 🙂 ... so thank YOU! 

@Ana635

ABB do not have a Security Deposit in the conventiuonal sense it is a ptential charge agains whatever was used to book and should not be relied upon.

David
April23
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

Wow.  I just finished reading this and was looking for info and getting security deposit.  I've had several guests break things over the past year. 4 set of sheets ruined.  1  bed jumped on and broke.  Guest that left yesterday left the home a complete mess. I was going to try to get deposit......Sounds like it will be a waist of time 

@April23

Best to set up your own fund, take a little from each booking and use it for these things, that way you have control.

David

That's the purpose of the cleaning fee. A higher total price will help absorb damage costs. 

Kenneth61
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Mary, thanks for the info on how security deposits work.  My advice to you is to take a more proactive cynical approach. You look experienced enough to know that people lie and deny.  No matter how prized it is to you, as soon as you listed your property, it became a business.  I buy the cheapest sheets from Ross. I buy old towels and wash cloths from the Salvation Army and Good Will.  If you are trying to impress or endear your guests with nice amenities, forget it.  Just the basics.  What's a stain?  They could have written "Your towel" and "My towel" in magic marker.  It shouldn't bother you, because it will most likely not bother the next guest. It all adds to the charm and shabby chic of our beloved Airbnb.  Stuff gets stolen too.  Are you going to lose sleep over that?

Build your listing and your price to cover your costs and get good reviews.  Don't sweat the small stuff, because it is all small stuff.  Thanks.

no doubt, @Kenneth61 , renting via Airbnb is running a business, and unfortunately so many hosts don't seem to get that. 

Interesting perspective, to only offer the cheapest, such as in sheets and towels, etc. I actually believe in the opposite, but I realize a lot depends on the individual listing: yours has a minimum of 27 days, so you are relying on the renters to do the laundry, to keep the  place clean, etc. - and a lot can go wrong with that!  

My rental is limited to 4 days, exactly so that I can stay on top of things, do my own washing and cleaning  when those 4 days are up. And in case I have mildly unpleasant guests - I actually don't! - then they are gone, and everybody can be happy again. I consciously do NOT buy the cheapest, but offer high quality sheeets, towels, and also amenities such as bath gel, shampoo, etc: I do believe my guests totally get that, and they reward me with respect and treating my place supper good.

So for me, the opposite works very well, and often I have no clue where all the nightmare stories we read about here, come from or originate.It  just doesn't happen to me, and I contribute a lot of that to me treating my guests to the  best, and they answer in kind.

@Annette33 I am with you about giving the better or best and guest get that. If we go the extra mile it does pay

off I am certain. Our vibe and what we put out will reflect back, pretty sure. Guess I mean, if our heart is in it

or if its just a job $$ thing we will clearly see the result of either choice. 

@Annette33I love reading your comments and helpful suggestions.  Being fairly new to Airbnb, 1 year, and still learning the ropes, it's been very helpful reading tips from other hosts.  With regards to linens and other items in the rental space, I have found estate sales to be a wonderful source.  Prices are much less than new items and most are in excellent condition.  Nearly every item in our listing was purchased from estate sales and used furniture stores.  We did purchase new mattresses and pillows for all the beds.  Each mattress is fitted with a good quality, water proof mattress pad.  To date, we have never had an issue with a guest that would result in filing for the security deposit. 

Linda

Em4
Level 10
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand

@Mary496 @Annette33 @Kenneth

i think the important thing is the return on investment.  i don't know you kenneth, but the feel i have is that you're geared to manipulate and manage conditions for good returns.  i think for you a good job is attributed to good returns.  i think annette your approach feels to me as a focus primarily on the standard of your hospitality.  a good job is attributed to a quality approach to hospitality.  not that i'm saying that your approach kenneth doesn't take into consideration hospitality or returns for you annette.  which leads me to my point mary.  i think confidence comes from being yourself.  yes you feel betrayed and you responded with anger.  i think thats pretty human.  you'll sort it out your way as you move forward.

i know i've said this before elsewhere, i hire my linens.  it takes all the angst out of cleaning linens and every bed looks professional and is absolutely clean, crisp pressed and king sized beds are quickly made (due to the pressed lines).  not to say that any other approach is not.

also it seems to me that the interactions on the ground are very important.  you can see this in the superhosts who have 100's of reviews.  that to me seems extraordinary but obviously achievable.  and i hear it in the advice of all the posts i read. 

my own approach is a hybrid of kenneths and annettes with robins recording and now his gardening, davids common sense and andreas sense of humour.

🙂

Em

Hukawai Lodge

Franz Josef, NZ

https://www.airbnb.co.nz/rooms/15418840

Dean70
Level 4
Knoxville, TN

Simply put, AirBnB cares more for the guest then the host/home owner.!

tightening of rules should help in the future