Security bond claim rejected

Lawrence47
Level 2
Jervis Bay Territory, Australia

Security bond claim rejected

I have been a host for many years. I recently made my first security bond claim over damage caused by a guest.

Airbnb totlly took the side of the guest (which other hosts assured me they would) and rejected the claim.

Warning to other hosts! Don't think the security bond will be a protection for you, it won't!

I had a completely legitimate claim and it was rejected out of hand.

Lawrence

17 Replies 17
Kate204
Level 2
Vincentia, AU

Air BnB  doesn’t even take the security deposit or damage deposit from the guests credit card

I was told this by an air bnb team member. That’s why it’s so hard to claim for extra guests damage etc. If the guest’s card decline Air BnB decline the claim. They never loss money!! It’s so disappointing that the hosts don’t have any right or control over damages done to their properties. I don’t accept many bookings from Air BnB anymore-I’m done. Last booking the guest booked for 6 guests and 15 -17 guests turned up stayed first night I checked security cameras and they were asked to leave within an hour I put the termination notice in writing. Took 2 hours on the phone with Air BnB send video and photo evidence,  it only that I send the terms and conditions & house rules with 9 questions to be answered (3 times) and stated the guests needed to return email back with the 9 questions answered including have they read the terms and conditions and how many guests before we give access to the property. I get so much back lash from guests they always tell mercenary before they stay they will leave a bad review.

False review, revenge reviews are the standard on Air BnB. Funny I have never read a bad review about a Airbnb guest even though there has been millions of dollars worth of damage and loss income from Airbnb bad guest to the host property. I established my loss is @ $10,000

that because any guests can close their account and reopen a new one clean slate.

Taylor283
Level 1
Austin, TX

Airbnb rejected my claim because i had a first check in 3 hours later and did not file my claim before the checkin. 

the previous guest split my pantry door in half. Broke the frame , stole my Xbox ,  blender , knifes , kitchen aid. 

trashed the house. Took us an hour to take photos and prepare for next guest. 

completely unacceptable by Airbnb to reject this claim. The guest even changed their number and disappeared.

airbnb is hiding behind their policy when we had under 3 hours to prepare. It took 2 hours to just upload all the photos and hit submit.

absurd and horrible.  Watch yourselves when guests destroy your home. Bc Airbnb may not help.  

Chrissy71
Level 1
London, GB

It goes both ways, there are unscrupulous hosts who lie about damage. Stayed at an Airbnb which looked far worse than the photos, also because the photos look like they were taken years ago. The wooden floorboards were so badly scratched up. The property clearly needed renovations. 

The dodgy host filed a dispute with Airbnb we had scratched the floors - absolute lie! He showed them photos and Airbnb took $1,000 our of our account. He was asking for thousands. We contacted Airbnb multiple times but they couldn't give any proof we'd damaged it. The later found that the host was putting the place up for sale, and was clearly trying to scam guests out if money. So appalling, the only people who are protected are the ones who cheat the system. It does not protect honest guests.