Security bond claim rejected

Lawrence47
Level 2
Jervis Bay Territory, Australia

Security bond claim rejected

I have been a host for many years. I recently made my first security bond claim over damage caused by a guest.

Airbnb totlly took the side of the guest (which other hosts assured me they would) and rejected the claim.

Warning to other hosts! Don't think the security bond will be a protection for you, it won't!

I had a completely legitimate claim and it was rejected out of hand.

Lawrence

17 Replies 17
Chris768
Level 2
Johor Bahru, Malaysia

I faced the same problem now. Why Airbnb such a BIG company dun hv their online chat groups to solve their customers problems? I m waiting for the their reply, alrdy over few days. 

Marge5
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

I had a friend who had problems with the same with their very first booking (drug paraphenalia found on her property in the living room - she even had photographic evidence)

The airbnb person told her the only way to be safe as an owner is to take your own bond and not rely on airbnb

Does anyone do that?

no, you may not require any funds outside of ABB

I would say vigilant guest vetting/expectation setting and vigilant oversight are the best host strategies

@Marge5 Collecting any form of deposit outside of Airbnb is not allowed. 

Collecting "money" outside Air BnB is forbidden !!! but collecting the guests credit card detail for more ID should be allowed. 

@Lawrence47, we completely sympathize with the frustration of having your claim denied.

It would be more instructive to us other hosts if you could provide some details, so that we might learn how the procedure works (or does not work). Perhaps your experience might help some future host know how to improve their chances of making a successful claim?

Lawrence47
Level 2
Jervis Bay Territory, Australia

It's VERY important to note that you can't edit you claim once submitted.

Make sure you write everything down in detail as you wont be able to add anything later.

When the guest refuses to accept and states their side of the story you can't refute it. It just becomes your word against theirs. Take lots of pictures

Kate204
Level 2
Vincentia, AU

Hey Lawrence, I also recently need to cover damages from a Air BnB guest which was rejected from AirBnB's "call centre". I don't think they actually take the money for the Bond from the credit card the guests provide. As I had guest agree in writting on Air BnB to pay for extra guests and linen. But on the departure day when I was allowed  "requed money" I was told his card declined?? so of couse they rejected my claim. He was leaving to live or go back overseas?? so he must of just cancelled his credit card. I think that's why Air BnB reject so many claims because they don't actually withdraw the money for the bond  they must only get a authorization or just check there is that amount available on the card at the time of the booking not a deposit. So I requested that all Air BnB guest will need to show photo ID and a credit card for ID. Which Air bnB didn't like. Im not asking for a deposit nor money just for ID. A few guests get upset  but when its a oversea guest with a overseas ID its the only way to do your own protection for damages, excess guests etc. I also feel if the guests is NOT comfortable showing Photo ID or/& Credit card ID I don't feel comfortable handing over the keycode when its a Million dollar plus property we manage. I Wouldn't you just hand your house key over to a stranger!! with out getting ID or a credit card first but thats what Air BnB is asking us to do. We do not live in the properties nor is our accommodation a room in someone house but fully self contained short term rental. We manage a few in the area (also in Jervis Bay) We have a keycode and instruction checkin not a meet and greet. So its getting harder to trust  Air BnB guests, if you do try a claim from the bond the guest just will leave a (false) negitive review. Which is called "defamatory". This false review wont be removed from your Air BnB profile but the guests can just close their Air BnB account and reopen a new profile. Or l they book under another person profile.

Again as there are a lot of hosts managing holiday properties from a far (hence  holiday houses are normally rented out when the owner is not using it) and like us we use a self checkin process. I wish Air BnB and other hosts would- could ask for more ID off the guests. There has been 3 deaths in Australia recently connected to Airbnb. Requesting more ID from your guests staying in your property is for the safety everyone involved including for you insurance!!. Air BnB should also ask hosts for more ID, rates notice, proof of ownership too.

**bleep** Smith is also piss off with these gobal companies ripping us off. Im soooooo over Air BnB.

Ms-D-M0
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

I am devastated, AIRBNB don't take Security Deposit from Guests, its false.  

This is what happened to me.  I am a supposed Super Host.  I have a large home.   98% of my Guests have more than the allocated Guests and the guests don't tell me. 

I had  10 guests book. recently   Ended up with about 20 people at my house staying.  I was alerted to this by my neighbor and my CCTV.   My CCTV is documented on AIRBNB for all who want to book my property.   I have no parties or events, No contamination of Rubbish as the Council dont' allow extra bins and also have placed stickers on my bin telling me they are contaminated and the Council refuse to take them.   These guest had 18 pairs of shoes out front.  Most of the group invited by this so called guest who booked, made sure the guests were staggered on arrival and made sure the extra guests  left the day before departure,  to avoid dectection.

I have rules everywhere in the house, including in every bedroom, on the fridge, on the outside bins and also the guests must agree to my rules before accepting the booking with me.    The guest who books, don't always tell their party about the rules.    So that's why I have House rules in every bedroom and every guest must read them.   Upon their departure it took me 2 hours to go through their maggot infested and contaminated bins.  I had to sort out both bins and place the rubbish  in my car for a drive home of 90 mins.   Great smell and I couldn't get the smell out of my car for ages.   The guest bin was already emptied half way through their stay.  I have a $100 fine if bins are contaminated.   The extra rubbish which was mostly alcohol bottles,  party hats, party plates and boxes of drink that wasnt flattened and left whole.   I felt ill going through the bins.  My neighbour reported seeing 20 people on my property.   So I took picture of the contaminated rubbish, I took a picture of the council refusing to take my rubbish and the sticker they placed on my bin, I took pictures from my cctv showing 18 shoes and showing some of the guests leaving the night before and taking 8 pairs of shoes leaving 10 pairs of shoes left.   This guest is also a host and guest.   So she will know its her I'm talking about if she reads this.   So she wasnt happy to receive my bad review about her.   She was threatening via me via messages.  Saying she is going to the police and so forth.   I decided instead of charging her for the extra 8-10 guests for the 8 days, I will charge her half of what the payment is for contaminated rubbish (normally $100) that  she and her group left when they had their party which they werent supposed to have, including the extra guests.   But no, she was not even copping a $50 charge. 

Airbnb don't take a bond, so you have to try and get the money out of the guest yourself.   If that doesnt happen,  you have to try resolution and fill out a form to ask AIRBNB for help.   After the guest got abusive and threatening to me, I told her not to contact me again.   We will let AIIRBNB handle it.   Well this guests wants pictures of the rubbish, so I sent them into Airbnb, then Airbnb ask me to share with the guest, I said yes.   Then she wants more evidence, so I had to send more info information in to Airbnb to show to the guest who did the wrong thing.   So we are looking at around 2 weeks of every day the guest requesting something new.    The guest now wants an invoice of what it cost me for the disposal of the rubbish.  I said I will get a quote.  I am not paying for disposing of your rubbish with the party you had, when clearly states no parties, and with all your extra Guests making more rubbish for the host.   I said unless you pay me first.    I should have dumped  the rubbish at her place to clean up when she got home.    Not that I would  actually do that, but I certainly would love to do that.    So I sent in my quote, that was $100 quote to dispose of the contaminated waste, which I sorted out.   I then sent an invoice for my time of sorting through the infested rubbish, of $50.   Still nothing.  All I asked was for $50 extra.  Now its $150 extra.  The guest is refusing to pay anything. 

So if your guests trash the place, don't expect Airbnb to get the $500, as they probably won't, as they dont' take it in the first place.     Therefore the guests can have parties, the guests can trash your place, the guests can have more people who don't  have to follow your rules, they can contaminate the garbage, because the Guests  just refuse any request for conpensation.    AIRBNB must be held accountable, this needs to go to the public, to the Police and to 3AW.  This needs to be talked about.   No wonder the guest are getting away with things as AIRBNB don't do a thing.    No wonder AIRBNB dont' respond to the media regarding parties, as they never comment as they don't care.  So just because you put extra charges of $500 for Security bond, doesnt mean Airbnb holds they money, it means **bleep** all and you're on your own.  As Airbnb don't hold  the Guests security deposit.   

So now I am now looking at selling this property or the one I'm in now as it's not worth being on AIRBNB.  I lowered my rate by $100 a night and the guests can have who they like or how many people they like as house rules do not apply.    The way Airbnb has put it on their website, it looks like hosts are covered by the $500 security bond, but there is no bond taken.   So don't be fooled.

Maybe us host have to ask for $500 ourselves.    Or kick guests out when they have a party or have to many guests.   But Airbnb said I don't have permission to kick guests out.   I need to contact AIRBNB first.  

Is there anyone who feels strongly about this?  Is there someone that wants to speak to the media such as 3AW or perhaps a current affair?  I am not good at this otherwise I would jump at the chance.   Everytime there has been an issue with another AIRBNB property on the news, parties that get out of hand,  or trashing of the Airbnb house, Airbnb will not speak to the media, now I know why!!!

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

I'm so sorry this happened to you.  It must have been very stressful indeed dealing with the situation, on top of not feeling supported.

@Ms-D-M0 wrote:

But Airbnb said I don't have permission to kick guests out.   I need to contact AIRBNB first.  

If it helps at all, there is one thing you should remember if ever you find yourself in this situation again... never let AirBnb tell you you don't have permission to ask guests to leave your property.  If visitors in your house (not tennants, there is no lease agreement here) host unauthorised parties that are likely to (just likely) to result in disorderly behaviour, damage or law breaking (such as breaking local noise pollution laws or suspected drug usage) then you can certainly ask them to leave.  One phone call to the Police and they are gone. 

AirBnb cannot ask you to sit by and watch your home destroyed by party goers.

I understand that you discovered all this after the fact, but if AirBnb ever tell you during a booking that you need their permission to evict a guest... think again.  It's your property and guests are there by your invitation, not by a legal right.  You can rescind the invitation.

That right I have put it in writing that it’s instant eviction in my t&Cs and ask all guests to reply back with 9 questions including how many guests and have you read the terms and conditions & house Rules. This have save me so many times and Air BnB has to back you. 

Thats why we ALL to switch to VRBO as they DO COLLECT security bonds and holds the funds till 14 days AFTER their departure.....

VRBO ? Is not in Australia yet 

Ms-D-M0
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Also my friend had her place booked, large yard for 8  guests.   Well 2-3 caravans turned up as well as the 8 guests and the 3 families/guest of the host who booked.  They put the Caravans in the back yard.  Used the showers, bathrooms, cooking, inside.   Great cheap holiday for the 25 guests. 

BEWARE