Host put up Security camera inside listing???

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

Host put up Security camera inside listing???

Ok, I am a host and I recently stayed at another hosts airbnb. I started a different thread about my experience but I wanted to start a second one because it warrants its own discussion.

When we got there it was obvious they had substantial video surveillance around the exterior of the property. They even had a little sign about it on the front porch. I wasn't too worried about until I went in the kitchen and saw a camera in the ceiling corner!  I was really creeped out!  Is this even legal?

I unplugged the camera and I looked all over and didn't see any other cameras, but I totally felt like I was being watched the entire time I was there.

36 Replies 36

Robin, 

I've been hosting for almost a year without any cameras at my property, but I've certainly been thinking about it for some time.  There is a sale at Costco in which I can purchase 3 security cameras for a decent deal.  If we did get it, I actually planned on putting two inside and one outside.  The two inside (one in living room and one upstairs facing the stairwell and away from the airbnb room and bathroom)

I wanted to see what people in the Airbnb community think about this so I've been doing some research.

I see that you've posted in multiple threads and being very adamant about not having an indoor cameras of any sort.  

This is our setup.  We have three bedrooms:  master bed downstairs and two bedrooms upstairs.  Me, my wife, and 19 month old daughter stays downstairs.  One upstairs bedroom is rented to my brother-in-law.  The other is listed to Airbnb.  

We make it very clear that this is a shared townhome and that my brother-in-law will strictly stay clear from the airbnb room/bathroom.  Our brother-in-law has stayed with us for several months in this setting and no guests has had an issue with him.  

So to address two indoor cameras:

1.  From living room facing the front door - although we are around, we are not around all the time to meet the guests and show them the place, so like what others have reported, this could be a way to make sure no uninvited guests come in.  The guests are certainly welcome to be in the living room and use the kitchen, but 95% of them do not and simply use the advertised Airbnb space upstairs.  

It is a common area so if anything it will be filming my family as well.

2.  Camera upstairs facing the stairwell (away from airbnb bedroom/bathroom) - This can protect against possible theft, as my brother-in-law's room is across the hall from the airbnb bedroom.  Obviously we don't expect any of our guests to steal, but this will watch the upstairs loft area if anything was to happen.

I'm curious to know what you think of this set up and whether I should be banned from Airbnb for even thinking of it.  Some things I certainly agree with is:

1. No internal cameras whatsoever if the entire listed Airbnb space is for the guest only (host's second home and not a space shared with host).

2. Undisclosed cameras to guests, operable or not should have the host account closed (indoor or outdoor).  There are always going to be people out there deliberately trying to spy on people, and there is no excuse for not disclosing such things to guests, even if it wasn't intentiona

I think firstly that you need to think about or determine whether the listing that is reserved is a "Private Room Rental " OR A "Completely Private Apartment"

A private apartment rental should be acceptable for  surveillance/cameras on the exterior and shared common areas ( just as a hotel would have corridors, reception and such...

However,  a "Private Room Rental" within some ones home, I do believe as it is a room rental as long as it is disclosed it should be acceptable and should not be a problem too have appropriately placed / surveillance/cameras within the common areas, as sometimes guest steal food from host and other guests as well as brush their teeth in the kitchen sink, leave the common areas a mess and such...After all in a hotel your privacy is for the room you reserved not the entire building...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lok-Man0   I am a host, but I can tell you that I'd never book a place that had inside cameras.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I think most of us would be surprised to find out just how often we are filmed, geo-located, cell phone tracked, etc. Someday we'll all be chipped or some other Farhenheit 451 nonsense (sarcasm - kind of...)

I have exterior cameras (disclosed within my listing). One of my listing photos shows the view of the entry door camera. Some guests may find it off-putting, some may find it reassuring. I don't know since nobody tells you why they don't book. (well except for all of those bookings they can make for $9/29/59/99 less than your rate)

I think probably any modern hotel has cameras in common areas, hallways, elevators. The key for abb is that the device must be disclosed, after that guests will tell you with their bookings if it is ok with them or not.

I'll concur that watching the sink is a little much

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

Wow, seeing the aggression level in some of the early replies to this thread is pretty mind blowing.

I have rooms booked individually, so I'm pretty confident with my decision to place a disclosed camera in the common area.

Now it's super rare for guests to destroy my kitchen. I still am booked solid, I just don't seem to be getting guests that think my house is a party. Can't complain, and can't imagine why anyone respectable would have a problem with it.

Tony I am thinking my of individually booked rooms too and a camera in the kitchen and hallway. Do you think it affects the booking rate and rewiews? Kate 

We show on our listing that we have external security cameras on the property.  Nothing inside.

A recent guest was asking questions about the security of the neighborhood.  We told him -before he booked-that there were security cameras on the property, the people in both houses across the street also have security cameras.  We even gave him the address so he could come and see the apartment before booking.  He chose to book without visiting the property saying he was now comfortable knowing there were security cameras - (he had a thing about his new truck)

Though he had a 22-night reservation, after being in the apartment for three nights, he attempted to get us to lower the price because his company only paid so much and he didn't want to pay out of his pocket.  When we wouldn't lower the price, he told Airbnb that the apartment was 'uninhabitable' because it didn't have 'heat' (another thing we clearly say on our ad - no heat or air-conditioning in the summer months) and got someone from Airbnb to approve his departure WITHOUT contacting us. 

After we left a review of his behavior, (left the place a mess; had an unauthorized person staying with him; late departure, asking for a change in rental price after checking in, etc.) - he changed his profile name so the review wouldn't show up under his name!  

Then, he called Airbnb and reported we had security cameras.  Seriously?!!!  

Airbnb suspended our account - even after many of the reps verified that we did show on our ad that we had the cameras on the property - and now, and now, OMG, Airbnb security department is insisting we send them, in writing of specific verbiage of promising not to use security cameras, etc...

What the heck is Airbnb doing?  We have outdoor security cameras - we stated it in our ad - and this guy can suspend our account?  That Airbnb, even after verifying we did have cameras on our ad, insist we, as hosts, spend the last couple of weeks calling them, writing them, dealing with various Airbnb employees, have our listings suspended, and now insisting for this other legal paper??

Another less than humorous comment from Airbnb - One of the few returned phone calls - Airbnb employee starts off by saying 'We record phone calls, do you have any problem with this call being recorded?' - Manager's response - 'No, not at all. We record all of our phone calls, too.'.  Airbnb - 'What? You're recording this call?' Manager -'Yes'.  Airbnb - Then this call is over. We don't speak if we are being recorded.'  OMG!

Has any other host been asked to sign more documentation about security cameras or had their account suspended even though they had verified cameras were on their property in their ads?

Grate story. So, what is AirBnB position?

Is camera allowed?

Thank you

I’m going through a bit of a hassle now with Airbnb, which is why I’m on this forum checking to see if other hosts have had issues. Airbnb just contacted me today to get my side of the story and informed me that I will have limited access to my account. I also discovered on my own that they hid my rental from searches!! I’m fuming right now!!

You are posting in an old thread about indoor security cameras, @Kara88.  Perhaps if you started your own thread and shared a bit more about why you think there are issues with your account the host community could be more helpful and supportive.  Just a thought.

Michael-and-Beth0
Level 3
Mount Holly, NC

We look at it this way, it's protection for you and your guests. We list our cameras on our page, and in the. "house rules" which our guests agree to before booking. We have one on the porch, and two inside the common area downstairs only. They do not infring on our guests expectations of privacy in the lving area upstairs. One would only be concerened if they're doing something that's questionable, like last night. We had a couple that stayed with us that had two not so savery reveiws. One host said that they stayed up all night making noise and moving around the house. We also heard them moving around the house around midnight, opening doors to areas they should not be in.

So we turned our cameras on. We witnessed the male snooping around downstairs as though he was looking for something. So I got up and went downstairs to get a drink. He was nowhere to be seen. I was downstairs about 10 minutes when the garage door opened. He was in our garage for whatever reason. My wife and I felt uncomfortable and asked them to leave. They left without an issue. This morning we found items missing, and a small drill, part of a combo that was in the garage, laying out in the driveway where their car had been parked. They have since been reported to AirBnB and action taken. So yes, cameras can be very helpful in situations such as this.

I might add, we originally installed the cameras along with our security system in the event of a break in. But now they paly another important role for us. 

Anthony1010
Level 2
Laguna Niguel, CA

I think each host has his or her special concerns when installing the cameras. In your case the host did not like unwashed dishes. In my case I worry about sexual harassment lawsuit and unwanted guest. I live in the house after all and the property is a huge investment. I need to feel safe in my home. I think guest should think safety first too. If you are upstanding guest why worry about cameras in nonprivate areas. I personally hope the cameras will deter those trouble guests. Let us live in peace, happiness, and prosperity. 

I’m not staying in an Airbnb that has cameras inside. I rented the inside of the home and I want privacy in the areas that I rented. Only a creep or pedophile wants to sit up and watch guest comfortably walk around inside the house. That’s weird. I wouldn’t expect that in a hotel suite either. Modern day Peeping Tom

I would never dream of putting a camera up to oversee what my guests are up to! Hosts have to disclose any cameras - standard Airbnb policy! I'm not surprised you felt uncomfortable with a cheeky camera in the kitchen. 

It all sounds a bit full-on - penalties for not washing up??  I know we need house rules but that's taking it a bit far! It's handy to visit properties belonging to other hosts, it gives us ideas on what we can improve and what we should avoid....

Joseph2049
Level 1
Las Vegas, NV

The people that’s so called using security as excuse to put cameras inside the home are weird. They must not have friends that will tell them that it’s weird to watch people people walk around the house, cooking or cuddling on the couch in rented space. I would have unplugged it also. Watching someone because they’re worried about someone cleaning up is like a parent standing over a child to watch them clean. Who has time for that anyway?