Host put up Security camera inside listing???

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

Host put up Security camera inside listing???

Ok, I am a host and I recently stayed at another hosts airbnb. I started a different thread about my experience but I wanted to start a second one because it warrants its own discussion.

When we got there it was obvious they had substantial video surveillance around the exterior of the property. They even had a little sign about it on the front porch. I wasn't too worried about until I went in the kitchen and saw a camera in the ceiling corner!  I was really creeped out!  Is this even legal?

I unplugged the camera and I looked all over and didn't see any other cameras, but I totally felt like I was being watched the entire time I was there.

36 Replies 36
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

It is a no-no with Airbnb, and really any cameras inside the dwelling is very risque; I can't think of a single guest that would feel comfortable with such a move.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ned-And-Laura0  I just read your other post regarding giving this host a bad review. I think the camera inside, which is a huge no-no, is enough in itself to warrant a bad review, or to at least mention it in your public review in order to warn other guests. I'd also advise airbnb of this- it's a violation of policy.

And did the host mention that the bed was just a mattress on the floor? Was this evident in their listing description? It sounds like this host is failing to disclose things which are important for guests to know.

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

no the cameras were not mentioned and neither was the bed.  In the pictures, the bed is cropped in such a way that you can't tell its just a mattress on the floor.  I mentioned how creepy the camera was in my private message to them and now that you mention it, maybe I should report the interior camera to airbnb.

@Ned-And-Laura0 yes, definitely report the inside camera to Airbnb.

Having *any* cameras must be disclosed, and having any cameras inside the property is very very unusual

and warrants very special disclosure.

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

The camera appeared to be focused directly on the kitchen sink.  It was a small kitchen and it didn't look like the other rooms could be viewed from this camera angle.  I suspect they have this camera because they want to have proof if the dishes were not done becasue they have in the rules that there is a $25 fee if you don't do the dishes.  But it was really just so creepy!

@Ned-And-Laura0 $25 fee if you don't do the dishes?

This host sounds like a lot of fun.

Thank you for the clarification about what the camera is covering!

Still.

It needs to be disclosed in a big way.

These people have no business being hosts; the camera, the washing-dishes policy, what's next a fine for not flushing the toilet immediately or taking a shower for too long? Is this rental in a military base? I mean really.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Ned-And-Laura0Sad that some host out there somewhere is spending their evenings checking video camera footage to ensure someone washed the dishes. Mind boggling that some people can be so petty. 

Definitely report these people! What a violation of privacy. 

Alexander349
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

As far as i know hosts are allowed to have security cameras in common areas (living room/kitchen) but all of them have to be discloused to the guests in the listing prior to their bookings.

this is an interesting subject imo

@Ned-And-Laura0

If I had the choice as a guest, I'd want to find a place with no indoor cameras BUT as a host I do understand that in some cases it is necessary to have an indoor camera pointing towards the door to see who is entering the home or in the kitchen area pointed at the oven/stove/sink area for safety/insurance reasons, especially if the host is not physically close to the listing. And of course, if this is the case then the host must absolutely disclose this in the listing description. Depending on how the host explains/clarifies the situation with in-door cameras in common areas, I think I could understand/accept it.

Our house sits vacant during the off season mostly.  The local police will no longer respond to alarms without verification of an intruder on the property or some indication of problem.  Some alarm systems now include cameras so the central station monitor can Peek-In to check.  Our monitoring company does not offer that option so we have one camera in the living room that is pointed at the ceiling but can pan and an external motion activated camera that we deactivate  when the house is occupied once we are sure guests are settled in.  We also have bears so we want to be alerted to their motion outside.    We have to verify if possible to the police if there is an actual problem or not due to the amount of false alarms in the area.

With the recent problems of "Party Houses" shouldn't hosts be able to check that hundreds of people aren't using the house?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Ned-And-Laura0,

I am sorry to hear about your recent trip, I can see why you were concerned about seeing the camera in the kitchen, I would be too.

I wanted to let you know that Airbnb requires all hosts to disclose all survellance devices in their listings, and prohibits any surveillance devices that are in or that observe the interior of certain private spaces (such as bedrooms and bathrooms) regardless of whether they’ve been disclosed. More information can be found in this Help Guide article

Therefore, based on this I would certainly contact our Support Team to discuss this further. Here is a useful Community Guide on the different way to reach them. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ned-And-Laura0

It is fine to have a property internal camera on Airbnb as long as its location and use is described in the listing description.

If it is undisclosed prior to booking it is a contravention of Airbnb's rules, and @Ned-And-Laura0 if it was me and I arrived at a reserved premises and found an undisclosed camera I would leave immediately and inform the host that I require a full refund from Airbnb!

There has been (until recently) a 50 minute video on UTube showing guests in rental properties in compromising situations....some in varying stages of undress, some in wet areas vomiting....and some in bedrooms doing what comes naturally! The common denominator in all of this footage was, the guest had no idea they were being filmed.

I have been roundly criticised for my stance on surveilance  cameras in the past but, I stand by what I have previously said.....If you feel the need to spy on paying guests inside your rental space you do not belong on a hosting platform....go and find another way to make a buck! I would be absolutely horrified if footage of me or my wife turned up on a UTube channel!....But that will never happen! I will never, but never rent a property where surveilance cameras are in operation....If you do, you are the loser, not me!

Cheers.....Rob