Security camera

Nao2
Level 1
Norwell, MA

Security camera

For the first time I used Airbnb with such an excitement, but only ended up being greeted with the security cameras installed in the living room without us knowing at the time of the reservation. If we knew,, we would have not made the reservation .... What do other hosts think it's appropriate way to notify the guest? 

As a guest, it would have been fair to us to acknowledge the presence of the cameras when we are searching options . 

95 Replies 95
Linda707
Level 1
Florence, SC

I rental a place in San Antinio Texas, did not know a camera was inside the home until we left, and the Host requested additional money. He said the kitchen was not clean up and we used all of the bed. We rental the whole house. He said he knew b/c a camera was inside the home without our knowledge. He should have mentioned the camera in his listing. Let us decide if we wanted to use the home or not. Someone mentioned they wouldn't rent from anyone who had a security camera I defininty would not have rented. If guests have any sense they would want to protect themselves from these types of violation. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Linda707  It is against Airbnb's rules to use an undisclosed monitoring device in a property which is being rented.

https://www.airbnb.com.au/help/article/887/what-are-airbnb-s-rules-about-electronic-surveillance-dev...

It is not only against Airbnb's rules, it contravenes a number of local government regulations where security devices are concerned. 

Linda, you would have every right to claim a refund for that stay of yours, although the timeframe may have now expired.

There is currently an internet site (which I won't promote) that features almost an hour of footage of people caught in compromising or uncomfortable situations by serveilance cameras, and it features heavily rented properties. None of these people had any inkling they were being filmed....... and here they now are for the world to see!

I have been criticised for my stance on this before.

If you have that little trust in people who are paying you good money to use your facility that you need to record their activity, disclosed or undisclosed...you do not belong in the hosting community! Rent out a car park where you can record vandals damaging cars, or a supermarket where you can record shoplifters.

People who are legally going about their lives have the right to have their privacy respected.

Cheers.....Rob

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

@Robin4:  I agree with your position.  The Airbnb platform is based - initially - upon trust.  We did put up a security camera at the entrance to our home, facing out to our driveway.  Principally for two reasons:  1) To count the # of Guests who arrive, based upon numerous past visits with more people than who booked; and  2) To obtain the license plate of ANY car in our driveway.   The camera view stops right before the door.  So, there is complete privacy from the time they arrive to when they leave.  I would sue the socks off anyone who had a security camera in their home and didn't tell me about it first.  Of course, I would never enter someone's home for a visit knowing they had a camera, and would be very surprised to learn that people with interior cameras are working as successful and admired Airbnb hosts.  Like you, I personally don't feel they belong on the Airbnb platform.  (And yes, we've had some horrible experiences; our external camera has pretty much eliminated all of that.)

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Gee, that post sure polarised comments!

When I made that post response back in November 2016 I had just been referred to a 54 minute video clip that was then currently circulating, which has only in the last few months been removed! That video amassed 3.8 million views! If there was a slightly fortunate aspect to this, one had to belong to UTube to actually view it, so hopefully that would have ruled it out for the bulk of children....hopefully! It was loosely censored.

Let me say, I am all for external video surveillance....the more the better! If somebody is going to do something intensely personal or foolishly noteworthy in public and they get filmed.....more fool them!  And I am the first to admit that not all that goes on behind closed doors should be condoned under the cloak of secrecy.

When I watched that clip my overwhelming feeling was one of sympathy for all those unsuspecting people who were caught in personal moments. Nothing was spared, women showering, people in their jocks trimming their toes nails, scratching away at a blackhead, their seating position filmed from a unfortunate angle, and of course all those never-ending intimate scenes. These people were not breaking house rules, they were not doing anything destructive, they were not paid actors, they were just being themselves. They had paid good money to be in that space and to leave the woes of the world behind. They all had one thing in common....they had no idea they were being filmed!

I felt a sense of revulsion not just for those who feel this sort of activity is to be expected....a sort of required part of doing business, but for those who, having come across it, felt it worth sharing with the rest of the world!

What sort of mentality thinks that's ok?

I am even uncomfortable about surveillance of a private outdoor entertaining area, a patio, a swimming pool, a hot tub area. There are too many in the world who are prepared to exploit a situation. I have a friend who works in the legal field and has stated that blackmail is a common scenario where surveillance footage is concerned. For some legal practitioners it now forms the backbone of their business.

Years ago video equipment was bulky and of poor quality, you would little chance of distinguishing the Queen of England from 'Pink'! Now a 4K camera which produces crystal sharp images and footage can be purchased cheaply and hidden in something smaller than a box of matches.

Hosts who choose to have internal video surveillance should be forced to disclose it in prominent lettering directly below their listing title...."This property uses internal surveillance equipment" and further down in the description they should state what areas the equipment records or views, and let the prospective guest assess if they wish to pursue a reservation there.

If a host is caught having installed, or used, undeclared internal surveillance equipment their account should be immediately closed and they reported to Law enforcement! And privacy laws need to be beefed up to protect against invasion of privacy.

I don't retract a single word of what I said a year ago, in fact I probably feel more strongly about it now than I did then.

Cheers.....Rob

Terry178
Level 2
Vevey, Switzerland

My security cameras are part of the ADT system and clearly stated on my listing. The cameras are all in the open and clearly visible. They are only in common spaces on the main level and of course not in the sleeping areas. They cover the key entry points of the house on the main level to help police and my security service in case of a situation. In Detroit, and many other cities, police will not be sent unless there is confirmation of a breach to reduce false alarm runs.

Just last week the guests used the side garage door to take out the garbage just before they checked out. They carelessly didn't completely close and lock the door back and the wind eventually blew it open. With the alarm system armed the alarm was triggered when the door blew open. I got the call and notifications in the middle of the night for me because I was in Switzerland. I was able to see that the garage door was in the open position but there wasn't anyone moving in the house or had entered the house. I was able to work with the security service to get the house secured and the alarm reset without involving the police.

I understand some guests don't like the idea of security cameras.  Unfortunately, they don't make the rules as a guest in someone's home.  Just as they don't make the rules for security systems when they use a hotel.   They are free to choose another space. I'm not interested in what my guests are doing during the 30-40% of the time the house is booked.  I am very interested in protecting my home the +60% of the time it's not occupied.

All my cameras are external facing front door and entry nothing indoors nor public patio or pool. All my places are 1 -2 bedroom condos so any interior camera would be an invasion of privacy.  I believe my cameras protect me and my guests.  I want to know who is staying with me, but once you’re  in what you do is your business. Provided you follow the house rules and don’t break anything.  Has anyone had any complaints regarding external cameras?

I don’t know if I agree with any indoor cameras. I know I wouldn’t want to be on film public space or not.  The only caveat is if indoor cameras are explicitly communicated and agreeded by all.

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

Interior cameras give me the willies.  It's like if they have a camera on the interior hallway, they could have other cameras too.  I stayed in an airbnb that had a camera positioned at the kitchen sink so they could charge extra fees for not doing the dishes.  The fees for leaving dishes were clearly posted but no notification about the camera and I reported them.  They had like 5 cameras on the exterior as well, the entire place just creeped me out.  I understand the logic, but I'll never stay in another place that has lots of cameras.  

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Most hotels will have cameras on the hallways and doors. That seems a reasonable level.

"If you’re a host and you have any type of surveillance device in or around a listing, even if it’s not turned on or hooked up, we require that you indicate its presence in your House Rules.'' per AIRBNB

Jason604
Level 2
Columbia, MD

I've been a member of Airbnb for about 3 years and a host for about 8 months now.  I own a townhouse and rent out multiple rooms.  I have keyless electronic door locks installed on all bedroom doors.  I accepted a guest through Airbnb that I later discovered was a convicted felon (theft, forgery, fraud).  I had another tenant who was staying at the home at the same time tell me he thought some one was entering his room while he was not there.  I had no proof that this happened and no way to find out.   I discovered the guest's felonies with a simple internet search.  I found several websites with his mugshot along with a list of his crimes and prison dates. I don't believe Airbnb sufficiently screens guests or is sufficiently concerned with  host safety.   I'm installing interior security cameras for my peace of mind since I have multiple guests from different bookings in the home simultaneously.  I will disclose the presence of the cameras in my listing profile. I'll see if increased security is worth the anticipated decline in bookings. 

Regina353
Level 1
Montgomery, AL

I rented  an Airbnb for a cousin I hadn’t seen in 28 years.

i went to the house several times and was driven home very late. Host accused me of staying ( didn’t happen) but he said explicitly he was upset because I had hung out on back deck and used kitchen.

yes I made dinner there 2x out of 10 days.

AND?

i rented it I paid for it why can’t I use the kitchen?!!!

and how did he know I was on back deck a few times...... security cameras? Or lurking in bushes. I don’t know and it’s super creepy.

he left a bad review for me, basically saying I had used the home I rented. 

This is while I divulged how dangerous

property was. Very sharp flashing on illegal deck etc.

i told him

priv to fix it but he chose to give me a bad review.

i will look into shutting him down due to illegal surveillance. Really unfortunate because I’m a local and would have recommended him.

Hello Nao

Guests should always be made aware of any surveillance equipment on site, whether operational or not. Even if you spot cameras in Airbnb rental photographs this doesn't count as disclosure - your host has to inform you that they are there. 

You could talk to the host about it,  but the fact remains, it's their job to inform you, not your job to find out and ask! Your host should be aware of this, and if not Airbnb need to clarify quickly so the situation can be rectified!

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kate-Mary0 - Nao asked this question in 2016. I suspect her vacation may have come to an end already. 

Haha this just popped up as I was looking for some info myself, thought I would offer insight but didn't note the date! Oh well!

Mario822
Level 2
Washington, DC

Ty