Security camera

Nao2
Level 1
Norwell, MA

Security camera

For the first time I used Airbnb with such an excitement, but only ended up being greeted with the security cameras installed in the living room without us knowing at the time of the reservation. If we knew,, we would have not made the reservation .... What do other hosts think it's appropriate way to notify the guest? 

As a guest, it would have been fair to us to acknowledge the presence of the cameras when we are searching options . 

95 Replies 95

@Lois-and-Darryl0:

We have security cameras on all of our rental properties- short and long term, however we would NEVER put a camera inside a residence. We have had guests mention that the cameras make them feel more secure and no one has ever said anything negative about them. The cameras are placed to watch entrances, yards and drive. For prosecution purposes showing a vehicle in a drive is basically useless, however showing the burgler actually entering and exiting is going to go much further in court.

We have found that they are a huge deterrent to criminals. We have a long term property that used to have crime problems, but going on three years with cameras we have not had a single issue.

We do put in our listings that we have the cameras. We also have stickers placed on windows/doors that guests and criminals can see.

Thanks @Tim-and-Holly0.  This is helpful.  And yes, I agree and would never disrespect my Guests' privacy by putting a camera inside our home.  I also wouldn't rent a home that had a camera inside, even if I don't intend to steal or damage anything.

Lois & Darryl

Mtn Haven

Does anyone know WHERE on our listing we should mention the camera? I have had a ring.com doorbell on my front porch well before I started using Airbnb and I am happy to let people know about it. There are just so many different sections in the listing - where do we mention it? "Basic?" "Description?" Maybe "Home Safety"?

I see we are supposed to declare it, just no mention of where.

Thanks!

I rent out two rooms in my house. I also live in that house.

As a homeowner in a neighborhood that has had several recent 'acts of mischeif', I recently purchased two cameras to monitor my home. One faces the front street, and the other is in the living area, facing the front door.

Why, you ask?

1)  Half of my neighbors had their car windows busted out last fall. I don't keep my car outside, so that's not an issue for me, but I care about my neighborhood's wellbeing, and so I want to help my neighbors catch the perps.

2) Once an Airbnb guest brought an uninvited guest with him without any notice. He didn't know the individual any more than I did. They were just ride-sharing, and since I was the first destination, I received an uninvited stranger at my home.

3) I have an electronic lock that allows guests to 'self-check in', and so I have no idea who is coming or going when I am not home.

My cameras aren't at all hidden, and they're not in personal areas (bath or bedrooms), so I don't consider this 'invasive'. It's my house, and I live there, too, so anything in shared living spaces isn't private anyway. I think I should be able to monitor my home as I see fit.

Camera's are added security, period. Call it a trust issue if you like, but I think of it more as an insurance policy, in case something shoud go wrong, relating to Airbnb or otherwise.

Ken, we have both outdoor and indoor cameras, as we live in the home where we rent a room. 

We have a camera facing the front door so we can see who is actually entering our house. 

We also have a camera facing the back door / sliding glass door for security purposes.  

We included a note about the cameras in the listing - unfortunately Airbnb doesn't include a "check the box" for indoor or outdoor cameras.  The cameras aren't hidden in any way and we also include a note near the front and back doors letting guests know the area is under live monitoring. 

Bottom line, it's our home that we live in at the same time we rent them out and those spaces aren't private!

Where? I disclose mine in the "Other things to note" section.

That is exactly where I ended up noting mine, too!

🙂

same! 

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

in a House Rules, you can choose to add a camera and the detail.

There is now a box to check if you have any type of camera - functioning or not.  It has a place to describe where camera(s) are mounted on property.    I have one exterior that points to driveway and parking area.  We are in a low crime area, but to be honest I like to see the weather and wildlife (elk, deer, etc) that come thru.  It does help assure that the people that arrive are the number that is on reservation.

I am against interior camera's on a vacation home where they have the home to themselves.  They are paying for privacy and I too would not rent a home with an interior camera.   In reading the ones in this forum with interior camera's it seems that the person also resides in the home and they are renting out a room.   A camera at the front door (seems it could be pointing at the porches) so they can see who is coming in their home and that those people are the ones with the reservation.   When you live alone in the home that you share space with, it is a different situation, then renting a house by itself with guests to themselves.   

Thank you for this forum, its always good to get different perspectives and share ideas.   

DeAnne

Well said, @DeAnne5

I would recommend the Ring doorbell. It has a camera and alerts your phone when someone arrives. You can even talk to them through the doorbell from an offsite location.

Olga179
Level 2
Joshua Tree, CA

I am considering placing outdoor survalence,  are outdoor security cameras ok? Facing every possible entry point even if that covers the back yard (which is where alot of my guests mostly hang out) but in reality is only for my own safety because i live alone when the house is not being rented and i am just trying to keep and ex away! help!

I have a Canary and Nest Cam installed and I always notify my guests about it. Otherwise, it'll be a total disaster if they discovered those survelliance cameras on their own.

Michael-and-Beth0
Level 3
Mount Holly, NC

We have security cameras outside and inside. The cameras are used in common areas, porch, driveway, and downstairs living area facing the hallway towards the front door. The upstairs guest bedroom, guest bathroom, and den, are for our guests. We reserve the right to use security for our home. An expectation of total privacy, especially in common areas, is unrealistic. When any of us stay at a hotel there are cameras everywhere. The only place you can expect total privacy is in your room.