Security camera

Nao2
Level 1
Norwell, MA

Security camera

For the first time I used Airbnb with such an excitement, but only ended up being greeted with the security cameras installed in the living room without us knowing at the time of the reservation. If we knew,, we would have not made the reservation .... What do other hosts think it's appropriate way to notify the guest? 

As a guest, it would have been fair to us to acknowledge the presence of the cameras when we are searching options . 

95 Replies 95
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Nao2,

This is what Airbnb says about security cameras: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/887/can-i-install-video-or-audio-surveillance-in-my-listing

"We expect hosts to respect their guests’ privacy. You must notify your guests about any security cameras or other surveillance devices at or around your listing, and get consent where required.

The use of surveillance equipment may also be against the law in some places, so make sure you understand your local regulations."

If this host did not inform you about the cameras, I would definitely encourage you to flag this host and the listing for review by Airbnb.

The appropriate department will then review this host.  Please visit the following link with instructions on how to flag this host.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/4

You can flag the host's listing by going to his listing and below the "Wish List" box there is a link to "Report this listing"

Here is an example of flagging the listing: https://goo.gl/0E5OnY

To flag the host's profile, click on his profile photo and you will be taken to his profile page.  Under the description of the host, there is a link to "report this host".  Choose “other” and explain the situation.

Here is an example of flagging the host: https://goo.gl/F2hcek

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Or, instead of flagging, just talk to the host. The cameras may not be functional, may operate only when an alarm goes off, or when the home is empty. It's probably worth a conversation. 

I think as a host you need to start the conversation if you have cameras. Guests don’t deserve to feel violated when they discover these devices. It’s bad business.

I have installed exterior camera that only monitor the grounds to the doors. They are triggered by motion and otherwise don't record and only for 15 seconds every few minutes. This was just installed prior to a guest arrival. It is a good thing to have especially between guests when nobody occupies the place. I disclosed this immediately 4 hours prior to their arrival but unfortunately it was the same day when the guests arrived. Of course I added this in the listing manual but ... guests cancelled that day. How would you disclose EXTERIOR ONLY cameras? 

I just don't get it.  If the cameras are on the outside of your Airbnb, what's the problem??????  On your Airbnb page, their is a space called "surveillance".  You can click on it and list your cameras there.  Guests are encouraged to read the entire description ofthe listing before booking.  If they book and arrive and prefer to cancel their booking, you will and should get your payout......especially if the cameras were noted prior to booking.

Hi... I have security cameras outside of the home, and I personally do not want guests knowing where my Security Cameras are outside. its none of their business. I've had several houses robbed and vandalized I dont need some thugs planning how to take out my security system when they arrive to rob my house. I agree tat cameras should not be on the inside and if they are on the inside they should be listed.

what part of them having a camera should make you feel violated. Do you run out of your bedroom naked and if so is that at your house or someone else's. Dress yourself before leaving a bedroom and before going to and from a bathroom and you have nothing to worry bout. Unless you bring more guests than stated for stay or smoke when the listing clearly asks you not to. This would pose a threat to you being discovered as a rule breaker which is exactly what cameras in a kitchen or living room are for. Relax and Respect the fact that your a guest. a host has every right to protect their assets. Its unfair for rule breakers to ruin a non rule breakers stay because you broke a window and the host didn't know about it or smoked and now some asthmatic kid came and suffered for it. A host doesn't need to email you a Oh by the way  email. the listing has to have it that is all. IF you were hosting a place that you weren't staying in yourself  to monitor for discrepancies this is the only way hosts can protect themselves from direct misuse and you claiming oh its wear and tear or accidentally.

Hi Christopher, my husband and I are new to the Airbnb community as host. Our very first guess was a party-goer she booked our staycation for this very reason to throw a party. She told us this after being canceled and had to be removed by the local police, I kid your not! We have cameras inside and outside of our home the area is a family-orientated neighborhood. We definitely have our listing with our cameras mentioned in our listing. This person did not care nor did they read any of what we had stated in our house rules. Our next guest was not pleased with the fact that we had the cameras in the common areas inside. This has made me feel at odds with the process but if I had not put these cameras in I would not have caught my first guess throwing a party and causing over $800 worth of damage. I do believe if more hosts were to put these surveillance inside their homes they to could help the community to slow or stop altogether these infractions. I do understand if host are afraid they wont get booked. But only if we stand together can we effect change.

I agree Kenneth! I had amazing guests all summer and have been using Airbnb for years with no issues. But, I had one guest this summer in the middle of COVID, that said the booking was for 2 people, and 8 stayed the whole time Partying and destroying our house. When I tried talking to him about it and the damages the excess people caused, he reported me to Airbnb for “violating his privacy” with recording devices and now Airbnb is the threatening  to cancel my account after years of great reviews, great guest, and using them as a guest myself. I don’t get it? It’s a front door camera clearly visible and noted on my listing under security devices. I event text the guest to let them know it is there for their security and to ring me if they have entry issues. How can Airbnb get away with treating their hosts like this and I Am the one that has over $3,000 of damage!? 

Like the host wont lie when questioned as to why they didnt disclose it so not to be flagged. Cmon 

Fear not, @Steve751! Airbnb takes a snapshot of our listings when each reservation is made so they can see what house rules were in effect when a particular guest booked. CS can access this in case of a dispute about listing/rules.

Of course, acting like all hosts are liars isn't much in the spirit of community that house sharing encourages. You have no stays as a guest or host and are apparently unwilling to show your face, which makes me wonder why you're on here and why you have such a poor opinion of hosts? What did the mean host do to you, Steve?

Never stayed at 1. Just my opinion with some basis of truth.

So my daughter who did stay and found a camera hidden in a guitar case facing the bed NOT facing the door isnt reprehensible and creepy? The "host" never disclosed it and denied when pressed. A picture tells 1000 words. Is that the spirit of house sharing? I'm sure there great hosts out there and you may be 1 but dont tell me there arent creeps setting up cameras looking at young women either

So what did the mean host do as you ask? Exploitation comes to mind.

Of course that's reprehensible and creepy!

I'm convinced about 2% of humanity are just terrible people. You don't want them as an employee, a lover, or a neighbor. You also don't want them as your Airbnb host or guest. That doesn't mean that you get to paint our entire community as liars - most of us wouldn't think of violating someone's privacy that way and DO properly disclose cameras (which are only allowed in common/outdoor areas).

Of course that host didn't disclose a camera IN THE BEDROOM because he knew it was wrong. It wouldn't matter if he'd disclosed it. It wouldn't matter if he'd named the listing "I'm watching you sleep" - having a camera in the bedroom is a violation of TOS and grounds for removing both the host and listing from the website.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/887/what-are-airbnb-s-rules-about-electronic-surveillance-device...

Is that guy still a host? If your daughter reported him (as I hope she did!) he's probably been de-listed. Isn't that the best we can do, both in how we deal with this as a society and as Airbnb does as a company? We expect and give a certain level of trust in homesharing - both host and guest. I've had almost 800 "strangers from the internet" through my home in the last 4 years and only a handful of them wouldn't be welcomed back.

If someone isn't trustworthy it shows up quickly in their reviews and, when grevious enough, they're removed from the website. Good hosts want bad hosts out of the community just as badly as you do.