Security camera

Nao2
Level 1
Norwell, MA

Security camera

For the first time I used Airbnb with such an excitement, but only ended up being greeted with the security cameras installed in the living room without us knowing at the time of the reservation. If we knew,, we would have not made the reservation .... What do other hosts think it's appropriate way to notify the guest? 

As a guest, it would have been fair to us to acknowledge the presence of the cameras when we are searching options . 

95 Replies 95

Rob, then your wife shouldn’t be staying in an Airbnb, let alone a private room in someone else’s home- you should get her a hotel. BUT you cannot tell a host how to protect their home! That is just ludicrous.

i totally agree!

Amen to that! Well said! Point made...period!

exactly what part of them having a camera should make any one feel violated. Do they run out of the bedroom naked certainly not at an airbnb (that would be ludicrous). they need toDress themselves comfortably before leaving a bedroom and before going to and from a bathroom and they would have nothing to worry bout. Unless they bring more guests than stated for stay or smoke when the listing clearly asks them not to. This would pose a threat to them being discovered as a rule breaker which is exactly what cameras in a kitchen or living room are for. they need to Relax and Respect the fact that  they are  a guest. a host has every right to protect their assets. Its unfair for rule breakers to ruin a non rule breakers stay because they broke a window and the host didn't know about it or smoked and now some asthmatic kid came and suffered for it.

and I won't even get into fact that most guests commenting here are saying they're  fine with external cameras on a  front door etc. Yeah why is that so they can leave with what looks like luggage yet five minutes earlier they put a laptop in their bag as you were in the bathroom. its ok for that cause you don't have a camera watching the living room where you left it doing what you should be able to do in your own home.

If guests have issues with privacy in someone else's home I advise they stop renting. Get a lease that says its your home. Surely You won't have issues with what you do in your own home. 

No ill intent=No worries. As for you single woman claiming oh its just not right to be on cameras in someone else's home. Remember break in rapes are a thing and Id much rather be able to help you with video footage of such horror occurring than not at my property  if Im hosting a place out not just a room. Smallest acts are usually the biggest saving graces. just like if you slice your finger off in my kitchen Id like to know what happened so you don't claim I had some unscrupulous hand in the incident. 

Again Ill intent=worry

cameras aren't allowed in the room or bathroom and this is logically put in place for your protection.

cameras in public are every where and with good reason just like Walmart has them to protect their assets as we'll as help you find your kid our cameras will likely prevent and help in the same ways...

cheese with wine please

Thank you!  I agree completely!  That was incredibly rude for another host to tell people they dont belong!

@Debbie106, Thanks for your comment. You're 100% right.

It was inappropriate for @Robin4 to marginalize @Allison and insinuate that her personal viewpoint is wrong. That kind of attititude ('you don't belong here') is a slap in the face and rips at the souls of hosts from this Forum. It's not constructive; it's destructive. If we allow that to continue unchecked, everyone with an different opinion will leave because they don't feel appreciated; we'll be left with only the polarized personalities waging wars instead of contributing to solving problems like civilized, mature adults should.

Please stick around, @Debbie106. We need more kind and conscientous people on this forum.

Hey Debbie, how would feel if you found out your privacy was invased without your knowledge? People should not talk if they have not been in that sistuation. 

It’s an entry camera, similar to Ring. It’s not watching your guests dance in the living room, scratch their behind, or make out in the hot tub. Guests should never think they are being spied on. 

I think the only guests who have a legitimate reason for not liking cameras are the ones who have something to hide. For instance If your  guest who's going to walk around naked and sit on my furniture you shouldn't be a guest. You wouldn't walk out of a room naked in a hotel. they have cameras in their halls. if you have problems with cameras your liable to be smoking in a non smoke listing brings pets in a non pets listing etc. You guests see no problem with a front porch camera but you see one with internal. Oh let me guess you want to walk out with a suitcase after I have no video of you packing my belongings in them while I sleep in the next room. all I see from an external would be you leaving with what looked like normal luggage and that's ok Nah. How about instead of telling hosts they shouldn't be hosting you ask yourself What do I have to hide that makes those cameras such a concern. HOST have every right to host camera or not. You don't have rights to make the home your sneak in damage or steal  getaway quick to whatever place you go after. if you want a no camera place to stay sign a lease and stay at your own place and quit renting airbnbs. only people with bad intent have to worry bout their actions on camera

@Robin4:  I do agree with you.  I can't even imagine someone WANTING to stay in a home that has a camera inside the living space.  I don't think we need to tell them to leave Airbnb; I think that when Guests find out they're being surveiled, then the leaving will happen on its own.

Lois & Darryl

Mtn Haven

i am a host considering installing a camera to show the front door.  I rent to many local people and I am giving them the key to my home, they can easily make a copy therefore its literally a security issue.  Just thought you should understand the other side of the coin.  Perhaps you would like a gun on the premises instead.  Not sure why you feel so violated with a  security camera in the public area as you are on camera in all public establishments you visit including the streets, beaches, parks, parking lots, etc.

I would recommend a keypad lock if renting to locals. They are easily reprogrammed with a new code whenever you like, in minutes.

Install a controlled key high security lock on the front door.....nearly impossible to duplicate key....and way better then any residential security keypad 

FYI, I once got one of those copied here in LA. I had to go to like 5 places but the 5th agreed to do it. I did this to avoid the $100 fee the building was going to charge me to replace the key. Got a guy to do it for $30 instead. And a bit of legwork but I was young and poor and it was worth it. 

An entry camera is totally understandable.  As the first person who responded noted, however, cameras inside are in many places illegal.  Anyone placing a camera inside a living space should check their local laws.