Security deposit

Lauren2554
Level 2
St. Petersburg, FL

Security deposit

So as I am reading here in the host forum, I won’t hold my breath waiting for Airbnb to pay my claim.  My question is Why even bother to advise guests there is a security deposit if it is optional for them to pay? That is just ridiculous!! I had blatant disregard for my house rules and an out and out lie about the confirmed number of guests and as you would guess damage from the party that was thrown. Backed it all up with pics and videos and guest refused to pay.   So I guess my question is can i charge and collect A security prior to a stay through “ the additional fees “?     And has anyone started a class action lawsuit against Airbnb for un paid damage fees ? 

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lauren2554 

No, you can not collect a security deposit upfront.

But you can make a claim on the excisting security deposit:

https://www.airbnb.nl/help/article/2526/

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Yes, you can make a claim, and the guest can agree to pay it.... and then the guest just puts a lock on the credit card backing the security deposit.  Host gets NOTHING. 

I know.  I'm out of pocket for AUD605.50 in extra cleaning and extra guest fees for a guest group that trashed my house recently. I will never see a cent of that money.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

It is a bad lable to call the Air BNB security deposit a deposit as the funds are never collected in advance.  The deposit amount is the amount the guest agrees can be accessed by Air BNB should the claim for damages (not breaking rules, however) be regarded as proven by the host.  The attractive marketing to guests with this idea is that a substantial actual deposit which can be an  obstacle to booking is turned into a possibility rather than an actuality.  Guests are in the driver's seat rather than a host on returning the deposit.