Security of Guests - why does Airbnb not value Guest Security?

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

Security of Guests - why does Airbnb not value Guest Security?

This is very disappointing

Airbnb, many years and thousands of guests ago, advised me, for the security of my guests, to change the locks if a guest does not leave the keys. They advised me to put this in my Rules and to add a standard charge. They also advised me to charge a security deposit. Did all this.

In February a guest left and did not return all the keys. They were contacted (via Airbnb) and replied that they lost them.

We arranged for the locks to be immediately changed to protect the security of the next guests. A claim was lodged for the guest to pay/security deposit release.

Here we are in mid April and Airbnb has just told me the case is closed and the decision is final.  My previous advise from them, about 10 days ago, was the guest had agreed to pay.

This is madness. 

* Rules set according to Airbnb not honoured by Airbnb

* Security deposit useless

* Airbnb states a lock that has lost keys is not damaged. If it cannot ensure security, how is it functional?

* Guest agrees with Airbnb to pay and then Airbnb closes the case

* Airbnb "Ambassador" disappears. After sending information etc she requested, she says she will facilitate payment. She then ghosts

It is hard not to conclude that Airbnb does not care about the security of guests at all.  Frustrating and disappointing (but not surprising)

19 Replies 19
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I think ABB probably expects some measure of "idiot-proofing" to be in place. In other words don't give a current guest the ability to harm a future guest. Electronic keypads come to mind. Or making a key on a ring so big and fat that I guest would really have to struggle to lose it. Or maybe a throwbolt inside that a key can't open, so that even if a key is lost somewhere out in the world, the whole place doesn't have to get rekeyed... Now, if you really have a 'cannot be managed any other way than by an actual physical key that will have to be professionally remade if the guest loses it', well, then, I guess that's just the way it is. And yeah, I guess ABB probably should have paid for it, but there's lots of things they should do that they don't, it's a fairly extensive list. You can still send the guest a bill, if you know who they are and where they are, but that's another story.

It’s a key to an apartment door that has been lost. **bleep** happens.

Smart locks are not an option because of the by-laws of the building. They don’t match every other lock.

Hotels take security seriously, recoding their cards between guests.

If I cannot account for a key, security for the guests (both their person and their property), requires that I change the lock. 

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

I am sorry for your situation.  As a host, I still struggle to understand the reasoning behind certain policies and rules laid forth by airbnb.  Hopefully the guest followed through and paid. 

My suggestion to you moving forward would be to invest in a smart lock. For a minimal cost you can purchase and install one. Each guest could be given a code vs a key, therefore nothing could ever be lost or even replicated (A lot of places will copy "Do not copy" keys)

Unfortunately smart locks do not match the look of every other lock in the building and so are no allowed by by-laws. I would have done this years ago if permissible. Thanks

The bottom line is, the BOGUS damage deposit is the issue. When there is an issue that the guest is at fault with, a host needs to be able to collect on the damage deposit. Airbnb needs to answer to this and fix the problem. Once and for all. The worst of it is when a guest agrees to pay up for something, and Airbnb steps in and kiboshes it!

Absolutely correct Colleen. The security deposit is BOGUS.

Here is how is works:

*Security deposit - in place

*Rules re the cost of something happening - in place

*Guest admits - in writing

*Host Claims - through the prescribed channels

Airbnb declines Host Guarantee for incomprehensible reasons. Host says what about the Security Deposit? I thought I was claiming on this. Airbnb asks for lots of documentation, makes dozens of promises but no follow up. Then the dreaded case closed don't speak to us again message.

AIRBNB - you need to address this

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Hugh0  I have never had to make a claim, but if the guest agrees to pay for a lost key or damages, can't the guest just use the "Send money" option in the Resolution Center, instead of all this faffing around with the security deposit and Airbnb robots?

One would think so, but if the guest does not want to pay for the damage they do Airbnb has to get involved.  This is where the problems with Airbnb are exposed.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

This sounds like a classic case that an ounce of prevention is worth a lot more than a pound of cure. Keys will be lost, and if they are - what could  be a simple way to remedy the situation. Obviously getting Airbnb involved and their not-for-real 'security deposit' is not the way to go. There must be another way.

May I suggest this; if they are young, into the gothic style, wear jeans and into a lot of metal. You never know. 🙂

keys.jpg

I appreciate your "outside the box" suggestion.

I think the issue of the fake "Security Deposit" needs to be exposed and resolved.

We are all in agreement, it has been the subject of a thousand posts here over the years. 

@Kelly149  above did make a good suggestion, make the key so hard to loose by being so cumbersome.

I want this message out there loud and clear. Not enough hosts realize it’s not a real deposit... we are calling it bogus and fake now because hosts can’t choose to collect on it. This is beyond absurd! Security deposits need to be real. Twitter is full of shocking jokes from guests mocking house rules, etc and retweeted in mass. Searching for Airbnb on there is eye opening.  Too many people know there’s no recourse for what they do if they booked “an Airbnb” 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Hugh0  maybe something like this would be the solution? Cylinder with programmable key

https://www.asadria.com/en/switch-to-intelligent-electronic-locking-without-throwing-away-the-keys/

That is a good suggestion. Thank you. It is very low profile.

Unfortunately it is not compatible with the standard Lockwood 101 which is used everywhere on older buildings in Australia.

Kind regards. Hugh