Seeking Advice from Hosts in Sarasota County, Florida, Regarding Taxes, Homestead Exemption, etc.

Laura2274
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Seeking Advice from Hosts in Sarasota County, Florida, Regarding Taxes, Homestead Exemption, etc.

Seeking advice from anyone hosting in Sarasota County, Florida. I'm thinking of listing a room or two in my home near Proctor and I75. It's a gated community and I can't find anything in the CC&Rs specifically prohibiting short-term rentals of single rooms (as written, it appears that only STR of the whole house is prohibited). Through intense late-night googling I've discovered that Sarasota County has an agreement with airbnb and that state and local taxes will be taken care of by airbnb. Also aware that I should check with the property appraiser on the homestead exemption for the portion of the house being rented. I have a nice home, on a small lake, with a pool, and it's peaceful. Less than two miles from I75, so I think it would be attractive to people coming to this area for vacation, beaches, birding, rowing, etc. But, will I get taxed to death? Trying to determine if it's worth it with: partial loss of homestead exemption, airbnb fees, taxes that will be collected and remitted by airbnb on my behalf, and income tax on rental income (?). Thanks very much for any guidance you can offer.

2 Replies 2

So what I would tell you to look at is the going rate for a room and shared other spaced in your area. I consulted with a woman that lived in a nice gated community, found it was ok to Airbnb the room she was looking to host, but the comps for a single room were not enough to justify the earning. (about $34 a night @ the avg occupancy rate of %67 (at the high end for single room) or 21 days, increased utilities (mostly due to laundry) and it can turn into more work than it's worth.  

Yes Airbnb does make it easy regarding taxes and yes you loose a portion of your homestead (just learned this today) based on the sq ft rented/sq ft of whole house. So like I tell my clients, it has to be worth it. let me know if you need any more help. 

Pearl

Habitate Inc

Nancy353
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hi, Do you happen to have any updated info on Airbnbs in the Sarasota area? I see whole houses listed on the Airbnb website but, from what I read, it sounds like only one room in the house where you reside is allowed for short term rentals. I'd appreciate any help you can offer.