Self check in

Answered!
Ashley1186
Level 3
Horseheads, NY

Self check in

Hello,

I am undecided if it’s better to send the check in code the morning of or the day prior? I was thinking the day of would be better but I have heard that guests like to have the information before they travel.

Do you have a preference based off of your experience as hosts?

1 Best Answer
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I like to send my Welcome email 2-3 days before check-in, for the following reasons:

1) When the trip draws nearer, guests tend to get a little anxious and want to make sure they have everything they need to arrive at and check in to my place

2) Some guests like to print out the email and take it with them in case their online connection becomes unavailable. There are enough details to worry about on the day of travel to also have to remember to print it out.

3) I used to send the email the day before check-in, but quite a few guests would contact me 2-3 days before their trip, asking for the address, directions, check-in steps, etc., so now I send it a day or two sooner.

Additionally, the custom code for our guests does not become activated until check-in time, so security isn’t an issue. 

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I like to send my Welcome email 2-3 days before check-in, for the following reasons:

1) When the trip draws nearer, guests tend to get a little anxious and want to make sure they have everything they need to arrive at and check in to my place

2) Some guests like to print out the email and take it with them in case their online connection becomes unavailable. There are enough details to worry about on the day of travel to also have to remember to print it out.

3) I used to send the email the day before check-in, but quite a few guests would contact me 2-3 days before their trip, asking for the address, directions, check-in steps, etc., so now I send it a day or two sooner.

Additionally, the custom code for our guests does not become activated until check-in time, so security isn’t an issue. 

@Pat271 Thank you so much for your response, that was very informative! Those are some really great points you gave, I will definitely start sending them a few days in advance!

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Ashley1186 @Guest get the code when they book along with  the exact time and dates their code is active. That prevents them showing up early or on the wrong date by accident. I used to keep the same code for a month at a time when I first started and alternated codes as best I could but upgraded door lock and even use a door code service that’s integrated with ABB, although the lock and app would also be easy to schedule codes manually. I’m on the ocean so things don’t last long. If the lock holds up two years that’s fine I’ll use it on my door and get new one for apartment door. 

I’m not being critical, just sharing my approach and think the door and lock is very important and take time and effort to find the right approach. 

I hope I misreading you that you use the same code for a month at a time! That is very unsafe!! Each guest should get a different code

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Ashley1186 Are you changing the code between each guest? This is important. If back-to-back guests have the same code you run the risk of one guest barging in on another.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Ashley1186 we send ours one week in advance, along with the information that it will work only between their check-in and check-out times. Even a week out, occasionally a guest will write and ask for it earlier. As a traveler I would like to have it enough in advance that I don't have to wonder about it while I am packing and traveling.

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

We send 4 days in advance with the link to our guidebook & everything they need to know, along with a reminder to verify the # of guests/pets for which they booked.

Rebecca1458
Level 4
Washington, DC

We send a welcome email three days before their check-in date with info on how they can access check-in details and mentioning that we will send their code for our lockbox one day before the check-in date, as well as house rules and information they need to know about the property.

We use an igloohome lockbox which automatically creates a unique code for each guest and sends them a message with their code and the check-in instructions restated one day before their check-in.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Ashley1186 

We send the passcode 48 hours prior at 9:00am in our scheduled message.  The wording is "your passcode will be the last 4 digits of the phone number on your booking reservation, and is only valid for this stay."  We are local hosts.  We meet our guests incoming and outgoing.   For 2 reasons, we want to make sure the guests had a great stay and to do the cleaning/changeover.  To get the guests to meet with us before they leave, we ask to meet with them and offer to take a picture of them at our place for a memory picture, (with their phone).  Sometimes, I joke with the guests that if they were in a tourist country, they'd have to pay $10 for the photo.  Usually gets lots of laughs and no one has refused.  Once they leave we immediately change the door code. This has been very effective for us.