Sending my fellow American hosts some positive vibes

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Sending my fellow American hosts some positive vibes

Just been a weird few days in the US. Everyone is living in election purgatory. No matter what your affiliation or beliefs, I hope we can all keep our heads and remember that we have more in common than we do differences. Sending all of you good, positive thoughts.

And for my friends around the world, how humbling is it that an Irish podcast I listen to knows more about my political system than I have any clue about Ireland's, that my customer in Australia sent me a message with a hug this morning hoping we are all okay, that my husband's family in Mexico is praying for us?

Thank you all and hoping for the best no matter what the outcome.

58 Replies 58
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

On Tuesday night, the term "emotional support Canadians" was trending on social media, according to our CTV news.

"Americans, if you have not yet received your Emotional Support Canadian, one will be assigned to you shortly."

🙂

@Lawrene0 , I think we ALL like the idea of an Emotional Support Canadian.... I’ve never known a Canadian that I haven’t liked! Not to mention I feel like some pancakes and maple syrup whilst I wait up for the “social meet-up”!  😊😁

Oh my gosh! Can I have a handsome one who arrives on my doorstep with Canadian whisky in hand? Who will whisk me off to his charming apartment in a stone building in Montreal or his house overlooking the water in British Columbia?

Somehow my husband is not appearing in this Emotional Support Canadian scenario....

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Absolutely cracking up at the idea of an Emotional Support Canadian, love it 😂 Thanks for sharing @Lawrene0 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

So will Airbnb hosts now have to accept 2 guests for the price of one- Americans travelling with their "emotional support Canadian", complete with Maple leaf vest?

Touché! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 
Seriously @Sarah977 , a little humour at this time, is what we all need..... thanks! 

Absolutely, @Sarah977 . And any damage caused by the emotional support Canadian will not be covered. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Laura2592 , I think the way forward is to keep turmoil to a minimum. Australia is watching closely..... and  I’m afraid the stress can be felt here, as democracy takes its course...........

So sending you ALL a big Covid19 safe hug. Stay safe, stay patient, stay the U.S.A. 💐

Thanks @Cathie19 . I have a jewelry business and quite a few Australian customers. They are alarmingly tuned into this election. It really is a stressful time for so many people for so many reasons.

@Laura2592

Never be surprised by an Aussie. Yes we are flawed and have our failings, but generally we show empathy and believe in a fair go; hence the hugs and concern. We also vote!

@Lisa723 , @Helen427@Emilia42 , @Debra300 , @Lawrene0@Inna22@Christine615@Sarah977@Helen3, @Clara116  .

We have compulsory voting from the age of 18, here in Australia. This is for all levels of government. Whether it is a council election, a state election or Federal/National election. If you don’t vote, you can receive a $$ fine. We are also interconnected by the World Wide Web.

Hence, even if Aussies get fed up with personalities and ideologies, they are usually attuned and aware to not just our elections, but global elections. 

After all, contrary to some beliefs, in a global village, “large community groups and families=countries” going it alone, has ripples.
........ All decisions made, affect the other people in that village. 
So Australia and other countries being of a democratic base, who may have seen an increased step to the right or far right, need to ensure the blinkers are off and they are alert to the fact. So we send hugs and say breathe... and will along with Canadians, be your emotional support!

No matter where we are from: indifference, complacency and a closed mind are unsafe and dangerous attributes to be around.  (This is not a political party comment. There’s enough of that, so we don’t need it here on the forum.) ❤️💐

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry @Laura2592 as an outsider  it’s just been like one big soap opera 😁 Election purgatory is a good description 😊😁😢

what price democracy in a country where a president and political parties  can take legal action to stop votes being counted and make accusations of corruption in terms of individual counts  where none exists? 

why have a postal vote and then not allow the votes to be counted in advance resulting  in the electorate  waiting days for results.

sadly American democracy is not exactly covering itself with glory at the moment. 

@Helen3yes I am not going to share my thoughts on the specifics but you are absolutely correct.  It has been extremely dramatic and disheartening in many ways.

@Helen3 Perhaps because the US is actually not a democracy? That is what the US entire election system is about... NOT being a democracy.

And may God have mercy on our souls if we ever are, because than we are done as a great nation. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592,

I've noticed that sense CNN is on cable systems in many international countries, that many people who live overseas tend to know more about what's happening in the US than those residing in the States and US territories.  Since the English version of Franc24 is an over-the-air channel in my area, I tend to know what's occurring in France, the French Overseas Regions, and former colonized countries on the African continent.