I have just experienced my first Service Dog (I was told I would be sued if I didn't accept it) and per Airbnb, I have no choice. However, I do strongly feel Airbnb should require proof of certification. I have no problem if there is a certification, but anybody can say they have a service pet. We all know animals require more cleaning and vacuuming.

37 Replies

Re: Service Dogs

in
Berlin, Germany
Level 10

@Laura2592   The cost and labor required to accommodate something outside of what you normally offer can vary widely according to your situation; there's not a one-size-fits-all-homes solution to that.  Since you already allow pets, presumably you've already chosen home furnishings and cleaning practices that are appropriate for animals, so in your case the legitimacy of a service dog is a moot point. 

in
Frederick, MD
Level 10

@Andrew0 while its true that my listing is and always has been pet friendly, I just don't see where its okay to insist that people share their private health info to prove their assistive animal is really an assistive animal.

And I personally think a lot of the comments about clean up with a dog are overblown and based on fear rather than experience. 

Both of these stances are my personal opinions and are based on years of interaction with both animals and paying guests/tenants as well as a day job which requires me to carefully examine accommodations in the workplace and be well versed on ADA and HIPPA laws. I would only ask my fellow hosts to keep an open mind about service animal requests. But obviously everyone will feel, to quote one of my employees "some kind of way" about this info. 

in
Placencia, Belize
Level 10

(moved)

in
Morgantown, WV
Level 2

Why are hosts that don’t have pets and have remodeled and designed their home with furnishings and floor coverings not appropriate for  pets be forced to allow guests to bring animals into their vacation homes?  Furthermore, I have severe cat allergies as do my children, so we purposely don’t have our own  pets. 
that’s why I have a No Pet policy. 
however , I’ve been forced to allow a guest bring in an ESA. 
I am sympathetic to folks that have a need for an ESA, I believe that it is truly beneficial for many.  But there are many Pet Friendly houses and hotels in our area that can accommodate them. 
I feel our rights as property owners have taken away. If I or a family member had an ESA, I would never try to book a home that wasn’t pet friendly. 

in
Chicago, IL
Level 10

@John5097 @Laura2592 @Andrew0 @Inna22 @Anne10379     There is some debate about whether STRs are public accommodation, subject to the ADA.

I found this article, which attempts to clarify the law, without being an actual legal opinion. Interesting reading. 

https://rockymountainada.org/sites/default/files/2018-12/vrp_rapid_response_report.pdf

in
Chicago, IL
Level 10

@Michelle53 interesting read

in
Charleston, SC
Level 10

I don't think people with real service dogs would be totally insensitive to host who have been victims of dog attacks and renting out part of their own house. People who have victims of dog attacks aren't bad people, they don't hate dogs, they aren't responsible for the irresponsable behavior of some dog owners. But instead of keeping an open mind and trying to improve public policy its more often the victims of dog attack that are blamed and nothing changes.  

We require handicap parking pass to park in designated parking places for handicapped. No one is interested in their medical history. Its to prevent people from abusing the system. 

Especially the honor system for ESA, is putting host, their families and neighbors at higher risk. 

in
Placencia, Belize
Level 10

The reason anyone should definitely have the right to question the use of any Service animal is because the whole practice can easily lead to some absurd social situations and major inconveniences, all for what? To accommodate an occasional individual that may even be gaming the system?

I love my dogs and they are well-behaved but it won't cross my mind to expect society to have to put up with them for my mental comfort.