Service animals

Service animals

i am a host, i had guest book for 2 nights for 2 adults, when my housekeeper went to clean unit she said they a large dog and 3 guests and the unit was a mess, the dog was a big 80lb fur ball, with hair all over the unit. when i approached them they said the dog was a service dog, i then stated that i need to see the service dog docs, they said they do not have any. i am then contacted by air bnb, who emails i am on notice for discrimanation. air bnb does not take the host side they take the guest side. i demand an apology from airbnb who will not give me one, i own 27 condos and think i will be pulling all my listings, because how dare they say they are putting me on notice for something i did not or would not do, shame on airbnb

161 Replies 161

Exactly, my dog when with me does not lay on the bed, nor wet or trash the place, I even bring a small shark vacuum and clean the fur. I'm the most considerate guest, and we live in a country where we expect equal rights for everyone but the disabled. A service animal can even bark as long as there is a muzzle and is declawed.  If you are running a business you should account for the cost of providing for people with disabilities. Some of the same people here mad at service animals protested in 2020.

@Melissa1180 Well said! 

Yes, people can just claim that their dog is a service animal and there is nothing you can do about it. Asking them for documentation is against the law. The animal can only be removed if it is being a danger to anyone, like if the dog bites someone.

I don't believe that is accurate. It is not against the law to ask for documentation, (although fake documentation is common so it does you no good). It is, however, against airbnb rules unfortunately. 

And no, it is not the same as bringing a cane with you as one response stated. That is absurd. The issues around animals are much more extensive than a cane, obviously.

Asking for documentation is NOT against the law.  It states so right on the ada website.  https://www.ada.gov/archive/qasrvc.htm however, you cannot REQUIRE documentation.  So you are free to ask, but if they say they don't have it, there is nothing you can do about it.

Yikes , I have had many guests who want to bring one or more dogs.After bad experiences I posted no pets. Thanks for opening a conversation about service pets - it could be an Air BnB deal breaker. Local lodging services don't seem to have this problem

That's because local lodging services account for the cost of cleaning and such for service animals. 

I'm with you on this Denise!

Crustt0
Level 5
Apollo Bay, Australia

Why cant you ask for documentation?

You can.  But they are under no obligation to provide it.  You cannot deny them if they don't provide it.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Incredible 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

vvhttps://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869/what-is-an-assistance-animal

Are hosts required to accept assistance animals?

Generally, yes, unless there is a threat to health or safety (see below). At Airbnb, we acknowledge that assistance animals are not the same as pets and serve a crucial function for their owner. As stated in our Nondiscrimination Policy, hosts are expected to reasonably accommodate reservations where an assistance animal may be present, even if their listing/house rules state “no pets”.

David

hey david, wake up and smell the roses, every idiot is paying 69 dollars and gets a certificate that say their pet is a service anim, then they arrive go out parting and to diner and leave their pets in the room, i am not taking it anymore,  i will only take seeing eye dogs, i am not falling for this crap any more, if you or airbnb dont like it, see you later, me and my 27 condos are gone

Most people with disabilities are unemployed 60 to 80% are depending on whether a Democrat or Republican is an office or unemployed we do not have the money to spend a $120 a night for a pet hotel. Wake up and smell the roses most people who need service animals are discriminated against and homeless that is why there are so many people with service animals on airbnb because they are being discriminated against in other places

You would be breaking the law in that case, FYI. Yes there are a lot of dishonest people that claim their dog is a service animal when it is not, it's too bad.