Service animals

in
Dennis, MA
Level 6

i am a host, i had guest book for 2 nights for 2 adults, when my housekeeper went to clean unit she said they a large dog and 3 guests and the unit was a mess, the dog was a big 80lb fur ball, with hair all over the unit. when i approached them they said the dog was a service dog, i then stated that i need to see the service dog docs, they said they do not have any. i am then contacted by air bnb, who emails i am on notice for discrimanation. air bnb does not take the host side they take the guest side. i demand an apology from airbnb who will not give me one, i own 27 condos and think i will be pulling all my listings, because how dare they say they are putting me on notice for something i did not or would not do, shame on airbnb

Tags (1)
155 Replies

Re: Service animals

in
Crozet, VA
Level 10

Since the condo in question can accomdate 4 guests, you would have been better off requesting the fee for the 3rd guest. You can't ask for "documentation" for a service dog (whether or not it's a real service animal), nor can you ask what the guest's disability is that requires a service animal. You can ask: 1. Is the dog a service animal 2. what work/task has the dog been trained to do.

"Emotional Support" animals are NOT service animal under the ADA and your state may have guidelines for where they are permitted.

I don't know if Airbnb has a specific policy for "Service Animals"  

in
Dennis, MA
Level 6

the dog was roaming the property, unleashed. the dog was sleeping in one of my queen sized bed on a $150 bed spread, youbook for 2, you do not show up with 3, it does not matter how many the unit sleeps, show some respect for host who try and make their guest feel comfortable and memorable times on their vacation.  This dog was not a service animal. what service dog sleeps in a queen size bed, as a host i do not supply queen beds for dogs

in
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Level 10

@Denise-And-Stephen0

I'm probably wrong on this, though seeing all the posts on this forum of guests claiming their animal is a service animal makes me feel it's the new way pple have found to have their pet allowed.

The think with real service animals it that they have undergone strict and thorough training. They do not roam or sleep on human furniture.

If a supposed service animal is not behaving accordingly, it is reason to have them removed, but always do this by contacting Airbnb for interference.

Have a look at this thread in which in a post I added a link regardding rules and exception to the service animals:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/My-dogs-vs-service-dog/m-p/338012#M45278

in
Hawaii, United States
Level 5

You are absolutley correct. You CAN ask for documantation regarding training (you cannot require it), you CANNOT ask about the disability. If the dog is not behaving in a manner that a trained dog should behave (getting up on furniture, barking, toileting improperly), you can and should call Airbnb and ask to have the animal removed. You also can and should ask for an extra cleaning fee. Take pictures, document and above all use courteous language.

From the ADA website:

Can I charge a maintenance or cleaning fee for customers who bring service animals into my business?

A: No. Neither a deposit nor a surcharge may be imposed on an individual with a disability as a condition to allowing a service animal to accompany the individual with a disability, even if deposits are routinely required for pets. However, a public accommodation may charge its customers with disabilities if a service animal causes damage so long as it is the regular practice of the entity to charge non-disabled customers for the same types of damages. For example, a hotel can charge a guest with a disability for the cost of repairing or cleaning furniture damaged by a service animal if it is the hotel's policy to charge when non-disabled guests cause such damage.

The bottom line here is that if you were not informed about the animal it should not be there.

in
Hagerstown, MD
Level 3

What about the issue of the animal causing future guests with allergies to have reactions while staying in the property?

in
New Orleans, LA
Level 2

They don;t have to tell you according to their rules:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869/what-is-an-assistance-animal

in
Cedar Grove, NC
Level 2

Screenshot_20191026-114143_Chrome.jpg

Please educate yrself this is airbnb's policy... I'm sick and tired of getting discriminated against me and my service dog. This is the reason I do not disclose that I have a service dog because they will find some other reason to deny me.. it's illegal to discriminate somebody with a disability and besides my dog is better behaved and most humans

Level 2

Exactly, my dog when with me does not lay on the bed, nor wet or trash the place, I even bring a small shark vacuum and clean the fur. I'm the most considerate guest, and we live in a country where we expect equal rights for everyone but the disabled. A service animal can even bark as long as there is a muzzle and is declawed.  If you are running a business you should account for the cost of providing for people with disabilities. Some of the same people here mad at service animals protested in 2020.

Level 2

There is no training required by law, only a doctors approval and recommendation. Read the disability ammendment to the constitution.  

in
Houston, TX
Level 2

Yes, people can just claim that their dog is a service animal and there is nothing you can do about it. Asking them for documentation is against the law. The animal can only be removed if it is being a danger to anyone, like if the dog bites someone.

in
Indianapolis, IN
Level 1

Asking for documentation is NOT against the law.  It states so right on the ada website.  https://www.ada.gov/archive/qasrvc.htm however, you cannot REQUIRE documentation.  So you are free to ask, but if they say they don't have it, there is nothing you can do about it.

in
College Station, TX
Level 1

Yikes , I have had many guests who want to bring one or more dogs.After bad experiences I posted no pets. Thanks for opening a conversation about service pets - it could be an Air BnB deal breaker. Local lodging services don't seem to have this problem

Level 2

That's because local lodging services account for the cost of cleaning and such for service animals. 

in
Mesa, AZ
Level 5

I'm with you on this Denise!