Service animals

Service animals

i am a host, i had guest book for 2 nights for 2 adults, when my housekeeper went to clean unit she said they a large dog and 3 guests and the unit was a mess, the dog was a big 80lb fur ball, with hair all over the unit. when i approached them they said the dog was a service dog, i then stated that i need to see the service dog docs, they said they do not have any. i am then contacted by air bnb, who emails i am on notice for discrimanation. air bnb does not take the host side they take the guest side. i demand an apology from airbnb who will not give me one, i own 27 condos and think i will be pulling all my listings, because how dare they say they are putting me on notice for something i did not or would not do, shame on airbnb

161 Replies 161
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Traci117 I have welcomed people of many races & religion into my home. I've hosted people from over 40 countries, & found it an enriching experience. I even married a man of a different race! NO host is allowed to discriminate, & if they think being foreign makes someone dirty, they are wrong. But dogs ARE dirty, it's an objective fact & their dust & hair can make others ill. Saying 'No dogs' is nothing like unreasonable racial prejudice.  

@Helen350  As long as you understand that not wanting my service dog in your home automatically means that I have to leave too, then so be it. I wont risk my own health or life to accommodate someone's distaste for MY dog. And the law here backs me, not the other way around, so in the end, your opinion is basically irrelevant. I wont compromise on my rights or my life and you wont compromise on yours. Obviously, we'd never be a good fit... that is, unless I no longer require my service animal in order to thrive. Then, you wouldn't have any issues and neither would I. 

Oh but wait, isnt that exactly why it's called "discrimination"? In essence, if I have an affliction that requires an assistance animal, I'm a horrible person for asserting that need. But if I'm miraculously healed one day, we could become the most gracious of friends. 

Helen350
Level 10

@Traci117 I personally DO allow one well behaved dog in my home. But I respect those who don't.

I think someone posted that the obligation in USA to take service animals does not apply in PRIVATE homes, where the landlord also lives....? 

And Traci, I personally charge a mere £20 per night. Not a fortune, & certainly not enough for extra cleaning! -  I'm not a hotel!

The right to have a disability connected service dog applies to any establishment that serves the public at large. So no, Airbnb homes in the USA are required to be in compliance. Now, Airbnb goes above and beyond the legal definition and extends the same right to people with Emotional Service Dogs. I dont agree with that at all. It IS far too easy to falsely claim the same life altering effect that the law was intended to protect. It has become an epidemic in this country and the devastating consequences are usually only felt by those of us who actually require the assistance. The other issue is training. Emotional service dogs are not trained in the same manner as medical service animals are. In fact, neither category even require formal training. However, because my service dog is so vital to my quality of life, I wouldn't risk him having anything less than the best training I could offer us both

@Traci117  Not quite true. There is an exemption for in-home hosts if bringing a dog would pose a health or safety issue to the owners, or other guests in the home.

And Airbnbs are not public establishments serving the general public- they are private homes. If I ran a restaurant that would be different- I would let anyone come in to eat and they would only be asked to leave if they were causing a disturbance. With my Airbnb room, it isn't "open to the public".I reserve the right to accept guests who I feel will be a good host/listing/guest fit and decline those who won't be. On Easter week here, when thousands of people descend on this little beach town and it's just a big party/drunk-up affair, I will decline the young people who just joined Airbnb and have no reviews as I know exactly what to expect and it's not suitable for some 18 year old to come back here to my quiet country listing at 3 AM drunkenly and loudly stumbling up the stairs. One year I just blocked the entire week so no one could book and I wouldn't have to keep declining.

Traci117
Level 4
Wildomar, CA

Ironically, I'm actually allergic to him. My skin breaks out in itchy hives if he touches me. But it's worth it to know he has my back.

15745679208589031250332034673486.jpg

Helen350
Level 10

@Traci117 Poor baby! - No cuddles... :'(  - It shouldn't happen to a dog!

@Helen350 luckily, my daughter can roll around in him all day without any reaction 😉 but it is definitely hard for me to not give him big hugs. Dont tell anyone, but I sneak one in here and there.  hehe. nothing a little benadryl cream wont cure

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Helen350 @Traci117  While dogs certainly like attention and affection, if you read books by dog experts, they say a dog has no idea what hugs and kisses are. To a dog, it's just some unexplainable, weird thing humans do that they tolerate 🙂 

@Sarah977 that is very plausible. Goofy would much rather your food kiss his lips than anything or anyone else.  lol. But yeah, I can see them not making a distinction between the types of affection they receive 

@Traci117  No, they do make a distinction, in that if you curl up next to them and scritch them where they like it, they would understand that as affection, since dogs curl up next to each other in that way as well. But hugs are the way humans express affection, not dogs, so they don't understand it.

Helen350
Level 10

@Sarah977 Yeah, I know! I was just using 'cuddles' figuratively, poetically, to get a concept across...  But dogs DO like appropriate touch, I meant that! (My border collie loves a shoulder massage!)