Setting a Rate for Sauna

Setting a Rate for Sauna

Hello! 

We just added a Sauna to the property.  Its an outdoor barrel sauna!  Accomodates 4.  

At the moment we are charging $45 for first day then $30 per day after that for usage.  We provide all wood (its wood fired) and essential oils and towels.

I am paying the cleaning person $15 to clean it after use. 

For weekends, I charge $75 for the whole weekend Fri check in to Sunday check out.  

We just added it so little experience yet.

I am thinking most people on weekends would use it once on Saturday most likely - for $45.

Then after cleaning we would get $30 after cleaning.  Seems light?

So just wondering what you all think and if you have any suggestions on rate level and structure of the rate etc?

Should I charge more?  A separate cleaning fee?

Thank you!  

8 Replies 8
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Sean205 I would advice you to begin with an affordable price at first and see how demand is going on.If many people use the sauna gradually increase your price.You must also take into account high and lower session and put your price according to that.Good luck!!!

Dora2
Level 4
Hveragerði, Iceland

Hi @Sean205  

how is the sauna thing going for you and your guests ? 

I´m in the same situation ,Its an outdoor barrel sauna, also a wood fired one and it accommodates 4 people.

I will provide towels and wood for burning.

The question is, how and where can I put in the sauna in  the listing  and do you put the sauna rate in your nightly price ? - or is it additional ?... is that allowed ? 

Thank you-

best wishews,

D

@Dora2  Just going to answer your questions about additional charges since @Sean205 hasn't been here in some time and may not see your message.

You can absolutely charge for optional extras like a sauna, pet fee, hot tub, etc. Just make sure that you mention the fact that there is an additional charge prominently in your listing: include it near the top of your description, and I would also recommend adding it to the rules with the fee you will be charging. Also make sure you mention it in the captions for any pictures of the sauna. You have a couple of ways you can collect the money: you can either send a request for additional money through the Resolution Center on the Airbnb site or app, or you could let them know that you will accept the fee in cash on arrival. As long as you're transparent about it, you're good to go. 

If you offer it for a while and find that most groups wants to use the sauna, maybe start including it in your regular nightly charge. It's a lot easier for you that way. 

Can a pet fee be pre-set or do you have to request the money from guests? Thanks

@Susie0 There's unfortunately no way to add it automatically: you have to collect it individually for each reservation, either through the Resolution Centre or collecting it directly from the guest. Hosts have been asking for a pet fee option for years, but still no luck. 

Going really well.  I raised the price gradually as we made improvements.  We rent unlimited use for $125 w wood and towels provided.  Disclose the fee in the listing and just send a fee request. It rents 5-8 times a month in cooler months.  It’s a huge bonus to the property and unique offering for the area.  Always additional rate as the cost would put it over the top if included in nightly and some people are not interested.  

Ryan2328
Level 1
North Hampton, NH

Hello,

I am also considering adding a sauna to my rental. How do you ensure that the sauna is only used when the additional fee is paid? Do you put a lock on the sauna? 

any feedback is appreciated!

Sebastian833
Level 1
Portland, OR

Maybe a gate with a keycode number? People who pay, get the code. Then just use trust that they use it between the times you tell them to. It’s always a balance between effort and reward. Personally I like minimal effort to manage, so I’m fine with 80-99% compliance and I don’t need it to be 100%