Setting dates available - is the last day the checkout day? Or the last NIGHT (checkout following)

Answered!
Mark230
Level 1
Boulder, CO

Setting dates available - is the last day the checkout day? Or the last NIGHT (checkout following)

I'm unclear as to the last date of availability in my calendar.  For instance, if I make available our house from Jan 1-7.  

Does that mean the guest can check out on the 8th?  

Or is the last night the 6th and they check out on the 7th?

1 Best Answer
Angie29
Level 10
Morro Bay, CA

@Mark230  You are correct.  Available or Unavailable is all about the NIGHTS.

if I you make your house available from Jan 1-7 it means that the guests will be spending the nights -- starting on the 1st -- AND INCLUDING the 7th, and checking out on the 8th.  

NO DOUBT.    

View Best Answer in original post

42 Replies 42
Giles11
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hilarious thread!  Please airbnb, use standard terms like 'checkout day' and use little triangles to show it.  Thanks.

Giles11
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Oh and FYI, if you sync with Homeaway (who use the more standard and unambiguous checkin/checkout method, so leave date CANNOT be arrive date), then airbnb gets confused and thinks that the property is unavailable for the checkout day.  So it may be hilarious, but you miss out on one day's rental, the checkout day.  Guys, this is basic stuff!  Please get your act together!

Ryan563
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

It's amazing to me that AirBNB has not added a clarification about this to the calendar view in all this time. I only rent my place out once in a while and hesitate over this every time. I even once mistakenly rented my house out for a night that was not supposed to be available because of just this confusion and had to sleep over at a friend's place. How hard is it to fix this?

@Ryan563 When you accept a booking Airbnb will show those unavailable nights on your calendar with a grey shaded color and the date they check out is your available night and it is on white color.  

Available nights are also the day the guests check out thus making that same night available.  IF you want to block it for yourself or for your visiting family, you need to block the nights you or your family will be spending at your home and it'll automatically show grey color on your calendar which makes those nights unavailable to book.   

YES! When we choose the nights we want to stay Airbnb should automatically figure your literal nights you will be sleeping there, (check-in night included) and then tell you the date of morning departure. (Not a night of stay) and what time. 
FIXED!!!

It us up to you to highlight your calendar as unavailable, it's not Airbnb's job because  they are not the ones who live there to know what dates are available or not.  I've been doing this for 7 years with no problem and if I screw up and do not block a date that I need to be at home and someone rents it, then it's my fault and I have to leave my house.  

Guests NEVER rent a house if a date is highlighted as "blocked" because they can't get to it if it's not available.  

I hope this helps you and I hope you will continue to host more when you want to.   

Angie29
Level 10
Morro Bay, CA

@Mark230  You are correct.  Available or Unavailable is all about the NIGHTS.

if I you make your house available from Jan 1-7 it means that the guests will be spending the nights -- starting on the 1st -- AND INCLUDING the 7th, and checking out on the 8th.  

NO DOUBT.    

Correct, the day of check-out should not be charged as another night!

Why do all Hosts not know this? Many people are overpaying!

Just a little educational information for your 411.  

Hosts NEVER charge for the check out day.  I don't know where you got that "overpaying" idea from.  

If your reservation is 1st - 4th that mean you are paying for the nights of 1, 2, and 3.  You are leaving/checking out on the 4th at no charge for that date.  

Also, when guests make a reservation only Airbnb does the financial/transactions details, not the hosts, and then they end us the left over.  

Pretty sure you are wrong lady. You have to check out on the last day of you reservation. Its not like hotels 

My reservation was the 24th through the 9th of the following month.. I considered the 9th as a stay day and checkout in the morning of the 10. But, the host who is very kind, said that check out is the 9th. It’s different than reserving a hotel? The days reserved are usually considered stay days…

@Marisa513  Yes, the last date on your booking is the day you check-out. 

How is that? I would pay for night #1,  the day that I check in (after 3pm)for the night.  Then for example I stay and sleep there for two more nights, (so three nights total). Then I have to check out before 11am on day of departure. 
How in anyone’s way of thinking could that be more than 3 nights? 
More than likely another guest will be there at 3pm. Would you really charge both the check-out guest and the check-in guest for that day?? Wow