Setting prices

Richard997
Level 1
South Woodham Ferrers, United Kingdom

Setting prices

Hi,  Please can I ask for some advive, i've just setup my property and the only option for pricing is a "base" price per night.  However I would usually setup different prices for different times of year, is this possible to do ?

Thanks,

Richard

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

In addition to the base price, which is viewed only when specific dates are not chosen by a potential guest, you can go to your calendar and set the price for each day.  Highlight the days or weeks that you want to add a price, add the price and be sure to save the change.  

While I do not use Smart Pricing, some host do.  In that case you will set a minimum price and the system will adjust your daily price according to demand and other system generated criteria.  Many hosts complain that the SP is to low.

Stay on top of your pricing and constantly make adjustments according to your experience.  You might want to start lower than your competitors to generate reviews and then gradually increase over time.

Good luck and welcome to hosting!

Daniel1992
Level 10
Downingtown, PA

Hi, @Richard0.

It is possible to set up different pricing for different times of the year, but you can't use Smart Pricing to do so.  You can also set special pricing for weekends and holidays.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Richard

I would first of all calculate costings of the minimum  costs borne by you as a host, for a nights stay.

More nights have an economy of scale of reduced costs, such as fresh towels provided on the third night or at whichever point you decide to provide freshly laundered changeover of towels.

If I were hosting for longer periods ( I don’t) I would consider a change of fresh bedlinens every 7 nights, it’s up to you, how you wish to operate, but factor in your costs.

Your energy costs, I found my smart meter a good indicator for my heating costs including hot water costs, but then I’ve natural gas.

Electricity costs would be just lighting for me,washing machine and drier, hairdrier use, the fridge etc, but natural gas is my main energy source.

If you Provide breakfast, factor that cost in of your ingredients and so on.

Include cost of WiFi etc so this gives you the bare minimum before you make any profit.

Factor in the cost of your welcome toiletries basket contents etc.

Some factor in an extra 10% calculation for wear and tear, which is a good idea if your mattress, bed linens, towels, bath mats, bathrobes etc were new at start up.

If you have a cleaner factor in their daily costs too.

As for smart pricing I’ve switched it off......the rates are crazy, suited to some locations where operating costs are so low,  in their local economies and not suited to the U.K., unless you want to couch surf!

Remember to keep all your receipts for HMRC as much if it is tax deductible after you reach the minimum threshold, particularly if you host all year round.