Setting pricing for upcoming holidays, Spain

Saide-and-Ali0
Level 2
Altea, Spain

Setting pricing for upcoming holidays, Spain

Hello, I'm wondering what tools others use to optimize the pricing for the upcoming months, particularly when Airbnb's price tips are not available or are not accurate.

Here in Spain's Costa Blanca, Christmas obviously is high demand period but it is surrounded by months that are not in high demand. Conceivably someone could reserve at very low price right now without because all of my December calendar is set to the prevailing low-demand price. And my calendar shows no price tips.

The same for Semana Santa (Easter) when price skyrocket for everything because tourists rush to the coast. But again Airbnb provides no guidance this far in advance.

What should I do? Manually double the price for those periods?

If you are a host located in Spain, I would love to hear what holidays you pay attention to for pricing.

4 Replies 4

Hi @Saide-and-Ali0, I'm a host in Spain and I really end up doing it manually as Easter changes every year. I usually only have open 3 months so its easier to do changes in prices and not let a festivity with low prices (in Dec first week for example or as you say for Christmas).

Good luck!

Saide-and-Ali0
Level 2
Altea, Spain

Hi Esther, thanks for your response. Did you say first week of Dec? What holiday is that?

Other than Christmas and Easter, are there any other holidays I should consider?

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Saide-and-Ali0 I would suggest you do your own research by comparing your listing to others on both Airbnb and other platforms. I would also imagine you can find out local holidays/festivals and events on Google.

You may also want to consider increasing your base price so that when your calendar opens up (whether that's 3/6/9 months ahead) you don't get a booking at your lowest price. If you have instant booking on this is a real possibility. Cancelling such a reservation because of incorrect rates is a big no-no.

I have no idea how Airbnb's works out it's price tips and smart pricing given the number of different countries, cities and towns they have listings in. there is no way they can know what festivals and events are on in each of those, and then determine the value of each specific property accordingly. Personally I take zero notice of their helpful suggestions, and I know a lot of other hosts take the same approach.

Hi again @Saide-and-Ali0, as @Gillian19 said is better if you do your own search. Frst you have to look for firm holidays in Spain in general (first week of Dec is the "Constitution" holiday).

Then look at holidays in Comunitat Valenciana

Then take a look at holidays in Alicant

And finally to the holidays in Altea.