My 7th tip for great guests review that really works!

Blagoje0
Level 10
Split, Croatia

My 7th tip for great guests review that really works!

You have guests in the apartment and your next-door neighbour has prepared a huge birthday party that lasted all night. Or the power went out in your neighbourhood half a day due to a malfunction in the main substation. 

Of course, you will apologize to the guests for the inconvenience.

Even though it was outside of your control to prevent this event, some guests might reduce their star rating for this inconvenience. 

My suggestion is that before arrival of each guest, buy a souvenir of your city and write a message something like "Thank you for staying in my apartment!"  Put the souvenir and message somewhere that is not within the reach of the guests eye.

On the day of guests departure ( personally I am not present at guests departure) send them a message wishing them a safe back home and tell them to take a look at that "hidden place". They will forget about that inconvenience immediately. 

I suggest that you tell all of your guests about "hidden place" regardless of whether there was such situation outside of your control  or everything went perfectly.

It will create that WOW! effect an you will get a great review. Try it and see:).

20 Replies 20
Szabó0
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

What a good idea! 🙂 

this is a really great idea, but we already provide the following at a rock bottom price:  slippers, umbrellas, maps, beach towels, sun screen, every body product imaginable (including samples from ahava), toothpaste, organic coffee and tea, umlimited towels.  not to mention our house is spotlessly clean 24/7.  some guests just love to complain.  we had one guest complain about parking, even though there's a parking lot 10 feet away from the front door.  they wanted free street parking.  we're in the city!  how is the fact that there isn't free parking outside the building my fault??

I see @Lisa367 that you are a superhost offering great hosting experience, but there will always be that "one guest" who will  find unjustified complaint.

@Lisa367, Just do not stress too much about small complaints, try to keep your overall balance!

There is no way of getting all guests - all the time - all completely satisfied! A friend of mine had a guest who felt «the presence of a ghost in one of the bedrooms»!! How about that?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lisa367.....Lisa, there is always going to be that one guest who will give you grief.....Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I know they will...It's just a matter of time!

I think the important thing to remember Lisa is that, the 'turd' amongst the roses will never never change but, we, and your prospective guests are not fools....your reviews are wonderful and that is what is important. Do you seriously think we are going to bypass what made you a superhost to take onboard what some neurotic turkey feels about his parking space!!!!

Forget it...the rest of us will just laugh about it, and get on with what you do best.....Hosting!

Cheers.....Rob

Donna146
Level 1
Northern Territory, Australia

So far I have only had wonderful guest experiences from bookings to stays, but today I cancelled a booking at a guests request. This is becuause when guests stay for one night (not many units do this) I ask they leave a laundry fee of $50 for the laundress. Bringing the total for a one night stay in a whole beachside apartment to$145.  This particular guest had 3 adults and a child. I pre-approved the booking thinking the guest confirms, but the booking went straight through and the guest then wanted a refund but no penalties. So I cancelled the booking to ensure they got a free and full refund. You think there might have been some gratitude but I got told they were glad I had learn my lesson. Its sad that people feel the need to be so mean.  I often talk with guests before pre-approving the booking - you get a feel for most people.  In the end though you just have to understand you cant please everyone all the time.

@Lisa367@I had a similar experience.  I had a guest book my entire apartment in walking distance to downtown Menlo Park (where Facebook is) at the lowest I go back end of Dec.  (I had lowered the price just to hlep get bookings.)  They were super excited to be there..but then stuff started going "wrong" - like the heaters tripped a circuit and power went off, I didn't have a microwave, and they thought that I still lived there and didn't like the feeling of staying in a "relatives" home.  They wanted to cancel their 2nd night and get a refund.  HAving had a bad experience as a guest where the host and Airbnb didn't do as much as I felt they could have - I wanted to honor them and in hopes of not losing my Superhost status.  

However, I did.  And when the review came in and their private feedback - it was apparent they had wanted to be in a 4-5 star hotel.  I am trying to figure out if or how I can get Airbnb to remove their rating (not their feedback) but don't think I can.  The "best" part of this: I had an Airbnb project manager for the Host services in my car last week and she said I should try to do this as well...yet it seems impossible to get a message into Airbnb themselves.  Anyone know how?

I agree that no matter what we do - we cannot please everyone all the time.  Their radars are just set on looking for what is wrong and guess that is why Airbnb allows us to respond back to them so others can see our response when reading reviews.

Lisa393
Level 1
Cannington, United Kingdom

Will give this a go. We have a big old Manor House sleeping  20 and inevitably something or other may be out of order and guests sometimes ask for refunds for the smallest of things.

This could be very helpful. Great idea for going the extra mile! 

guests who left less then 5 stars enjoyed free dinners in a restaurant (I paid), a day trip to national park

on my dime, free rides to a supermarket to shop for their groceries, I purchased a product for a guest on the internet 

paid for it with my credit card because the guest credit card did not go through, helped her with her computer, drove her to an outlet 2 hours away from my home, cooked for her Indian dinner because she said she love indian food and over all i was her companion and tourist guid for her 2 weeks of stay and she still gave me less then 5 stars review and had a complain. Lesson learned; do not put too much energy and money in your hosting ungratful guests will be ungratful no matter what you do for them and gratful guests will be gratful with the basics; clean place, good communication, a smile.

Helena74
Level 10
Odemira, Portugal

Great idea, @Blagoje0. But how are you sure that the guest didn't find the «hidden place» before you tell him on the day of departure? It must be a super-hidden place!

Maybe at the top of the wardrobe @Helena74? I see you have a couple of plants in the dining room so maybe behind them? But if guests are thorough researchers 🙂 and found a souvenir meant for them effect will be the same.

CarlandDiane0
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

This is a good tip and a guarantee (or as much as one could ask for) of a strong finish for the guest.

I read an article a couple years ago about a psychological study of hospitality consumers -- hotel guests, restaurant diners, cruise passengers, etc. -- which found that a negative finish to an otherwise great experience can often tarnish that guest's overall impression of their experience. Conversely, a strong positive finish (say, an unexpected generosity or friendly gesture from the host) helps erase the negative feelings of any problems that may have occured during their stay.

In other words, you can't lose by leaving guests wiht a strong positive finish. We really don't do that other than offering folks a late checkout if we can. But now you've got me thinking about this!

Carl and Diane

Unfortunately, no matter what necessities you provide, it is never enough - no matter what a guest pays, they always expect service akin to a super luxury hotel!  Leave them toiletries, they want milk, leave them milk, they'll complain its not soy.  So, let it go and just provide what you think is fair/necessary.  One thing I do, however, is provide a bowl of fruit and a bottle of wine.  Both are unexpected and so leave a good impression throughout the stay.  

The hidden gem is an interesting one, and one that is probably not expensive to do.