Sexial Crime in Fukuoka (후쿠오카지역 에어비앤비 사건)

Yasu1
Level 8
Kitakyushu, Japan

Sexial Crime in Fukuoka (후쿠오카지역 에어비앤비 사건)

There was a serious sexial crime caused by one stupid/crazy host in Fukuoka, Japan.

As I am a host doing business in same prefecture Fukuoka.  Number of Guests was drastically down in recent several weeks.

If you have a any good measure for BAD HOST in your neighbor area affecting your doing Airbnb business, please share your effective measure.

In the case of Fukuoka, not only the criminal host, but also Airbnb's initial measure got bad reputation by Korean media.

(You can refer by searching Hangul (Korean) keyword "후쿠오카지역 에어비앤비 사건".)

As I really like the original philosophy of Airbnb, this issue is very critical for myself.

Is this kind of trouble happened only in Japan? or other countries? (I heard about terrorist guest isssue in Europe.)

How should we defend ourselves from such criminal issue?

by Host with one year experince in Japan.

2 Replies 2
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Yasu1 For hosts to protect themselves is much more difficult. The worst is that hosts do not get much support from Airbnb, who will mostly back up guests. Terror attacks in Europe - coincidentally - always happen according to the same pattern. But when you raise the topic, you will be accused of discrimination. I do not even dare to think what I would do, were I to host someone who would scare me. If anything happens, the police will be the first to call, not Airbnb.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Thank you for advice, Marzena.

We completely agree with your idea "The only person you can trust is yourself”. 
As our hostel has gotten constant support from local police department already, we will make the connection stronger to protect ourselves. 

By the way, we have no idea to discriminate our precious guests by nationalities or races. 
Our concern is a few BAD HOSTs in Airbnb network, who lower the reputation of whole Airbnb hosts in same area. 

Your advice became a big hint for us. It may good for us to announce that our getting support from local government, police department, fire department and so on, as a measure to differentiate ourselves from such bad hosts. 

Trusting ourselves, we try to make our best efforts to protect ourself as a business owner. 

Thank you again for your comment and sharing idea.