Shampoo, soaps, toiletries, and personal items - what do you do?

Answered!
Randy0
Level 3
Portland, OR

Shampoo, soaps, toiletries, and personal items - what do you do?

I provide guests with a dedicated private bathroom along with their rented private room.

I am currenlty providing shampoo and soaps (along with some other personal items and toiletries)...however I buy a regular size bottle of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash that can be used for multiple guests; mainly because it's cheaper and more economical.

However, as I have skimmed through other listings I see some hosts provide 'travel size' or 'single use' items for each individual guests (similar to a hotel).  Is this normal?...good?...or acceptable? or should I consider buying single use and travel size soaps and shampoos?  

I just started hosting so I haven't heard of any negative feedback on the issue, but I don't want to make a guest feel 'yucky' about it.  I've traveled through Airbnb and have used normal size bottles of shampoo and shared bars of soap and have been fine with that, but I'm not sure if that is OK with the general community.  

I'm looking to guage what other hosts are doing in the way of providing bathroom essentials.  thanks! 

1 Best Answer
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi everyone,

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Paula_0-1700501237776.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

View Best Answer in original post

97 Replies 97
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Randy0

We have a different situation as we rent a suite in our house which is a completely seperate living area.  We provide a bar of soap and shampoo.

I think you might want to look at maybe purchasing a Shower Caddy Dispenser like one listed here: Shower Caddy Dispenser

Cheers

David

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Ben3837
Level 2
Northwich, United Kingdom

If you have a spare 5 minutes please can you complete my questionnaire if you have ever used the sharing economy (Airbnb, HomeAway, etc) thank you
https://mmu.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1Apm1wHn3rbfsDc

I have a studio with a private bath and I use the shower caddy you shared.  I use the one with 3 dispensers and love it!!  I also offer individual travel size bar soap for those that prefer those over liquid soap.  I save the unused soaps left behind in my personal bathroom.

Joanna0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Randy

We also rent a double bedroom with private bathroom just for our Airbnb guests. We provide large bottles

of shampoos/ body cleansers etc, our guesrs are fine with and have told us so.

Personaly i would not provide soaps, but thats just me.

Have a great day.

Joanna

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

My space is an entire house and I provide the single use items mainly because I want to erase any traces of previous guests.  I want each guest to feel like the place has been specially prepared for them.  I understand completely the point of view of those hosts who rent rooms in their homes where sharing shampoos, soap, etc would be the norm and I think those guests expect that. 

Hello, where do you buy single use items from?

Hey Clare, 

Thanks for sharing, one question. Where do you buy those single use items?

Thanks 

I offer mini sample sized items, soaps, lotions, ect.

Would love to help!

Lluvia0
Level 3
Madrid, Spain

Hi!!

I provide bottles of shampoo, gel and hand soap.

It's a lot more enviromentally friendly. "Single use" items are not.

After more than 60 guests in my apartment (I'm also a superhost) I had NO complaints about that at all.

I hope it helped!!!

🙂

Hosting styles are different depending on the listing type.  

Hello, where so you buy single use items?

Tania318
Level 1
Christchurch, New Zealand

Where do you recommend purchasing these from?..

Hi Tania, we sometimes have limited shopping options here in NZ - I have had success finding travel-sized options in Farmers, and in Postie Plus. Hope that helps!

Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

When I first began reading post on the New Host Forum I ran across many postings were host complained about stopped up commode because guests were using too much toilet paper. But since I started hosting I not had that experience and as a matter of fact my 14 guest over 8 months have barely used over 3 rolls. I have a stand that holds 4 rolls and it is in open so guest can feel free to use what they need. I make sure I show them a large basket under bathroom sink the extra hair products such as hair gels, mousse, shampoos and conditioners are there for their use. I have q-tips, make up remover and cotton balls and plenty of face towels for them to use. They seem appreciative and no one has abused this part of our hospitality --- knock on wood!