Share your tips to boost low season bookings

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Share your tips to boost low season bookings

5450362_Iconic-Homes-Mont-Blanc-Chalet_021.jpeg

Hello everyone,

I have read many conversations from Hosts here in the Community Center about different ways to increase the number of bookings in the off-peak season. I find that this topic is always very relevant to discuss, as this can vary quite a bit for each Host.

Some of the most common tips are to put promotional prices, improving the images of the accommodation and updating the advert constantly.

What tactics have you used to manage the low-demand season in your listings? Have you noticed any improvement in enquiries after implementing these changes?

To help each other out and give some advice to new Hosts on the CC, share your tips and advice here! 😃

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

28 Replies 28
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Quincy For low season we

a) remove all restrictions that we have in high season leaving only a 3 night min stay

b) look for folks moving between houses once we are confident we can achieve the 105 night furnished holiday let requirement for the year. We find these folks off-platform.

What we do not do is reduce our prices too far as the utility bills soar during the winter and a low price would mean losing money - Better to be empty than lose money on a guest.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Interesting to hear this @Mike-And-Jane0! Sadly, energy prices have indeed risen significantly. How many bookings do you generally get during the low season (rough estimate). 

-----

@Quincy I can't answer that easily as we've has 2 low seasons shut down by Covid  plus have had  longer term stays in one of our properties . I would say we probably get 30% occupancy low season and 80-90% high season.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's understandable @Mike-And-Jane0. Thanks for sharing some rough numbers here! 

-----

Lindie6
Level 5
Cape Town, South Africa

Good question, @Quincy but all it does actually, is remind me that I still don't know the dark art of marketing! 😳

We (1) always adjust prices seasonally and (2) we'll add a promotional gift if we know of any events happening on certain dates in the area which we'll advertise on social media. 

Other than that, we post on social media as often as possible to highlight features of the low season (fewer people, ideal time for quiet contemplation or reading under the covers).

Does it guarantee results? Hardly. But we keep hoping. 😅

Let's see if someone can tell me the secret here.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Lindie6, thanks for sharing! Which social media platforms do you usually use if I may ask? 

-----

Lindie6
Level 5
Cape Town, South Africa

@Quincy We use Facebook Business Planner to schedule posts (2 per week) on both Facebook and Instagram.

Google has recently started allowing posts on the business listing on Google Maps and I had some direct bookings from there.

We recently did a Collab with an up-and-coming travel blogger who condemned using any promo posts on IG, but I must be honest, just posting hardly gets any responses (just a couple of likes) so I'm not sure that her opinion is best.

As I said, marketing is a dark art. 😜

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Lindie6, this is very insightful! I couldn't agree more on what you said regarding marketing 😂. I've also got a lot of things to learn! 

-----

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Quincy  we advertise openings on Instagram. I always put a brightly colored caption on the photo with open dates to call attention to it before anyone even reads the post. We get a lot of shares and saves which often lead to bookings. 

I don't do a lot of pricing promotions but will occasionally give a 10% off discount on Instagram as well. The guest has to mention the Easter Egg code.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Laura2592! A lot of people are using Instagram for business purposes nowadays which is quite interesting. What is the percentage of bookings that you usually generate from Instagram? 

Also, I was wondering whether you found a buyer for your lovely home? 🏡 

-----

@Quincy I did! In record time. We settle May 20th and I have guests through May 10. After that I will be done hosting.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Quincy,

I think promotions are more effective for listings that are located in places where guests can easily/quickly get there.  STRs properties that are in areas which require commercial transportation reach the destination are unlikely to benefit from an individual marketing initiative.  The best thing for these types of properties would be inclusion in the destination's marketing plan.  In St. Lucia, the local tourism authority has just launched a program called the "Collection De Pepites": https://www.stlucia.org/en/collectiondepepites/ in an attempt to promote non-hotel/resort accommodations.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's an amazing initiative @Debra300! Does the website work in a similar way as Airbnb? 

-----

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Quincy,

There are no fees charged to the hosts or guests.  It is truly a platform for the business and customer to meet, and then continue their reservation discussions directly with each other.

This what the SLTA tells hosts in its invitation to join the site.

Debra300_0-1649256202545.png