Shared bathroom expectations

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Shared bathroom expectations

I have enjoyed the airbnb koolaid.

I have stayed at places with shared bathrooms.

i have expected a clean room, reasonably clean bathroom and have been grateful to lightly use a kitchen,

because in a reasonably priced budget hotel I WOULD NOT HAVE a kitchen.

If the room were clean and the bathroom functional I would leave a 5 star rating.

I liked the experience so much that I now am an airbnb host.

I now have the problem of budget priced guests expecting a super clean kitchen with a comet cleaned sink and a refridgerator shelf cleared for their perishables.

Mind you when they arrive, they get a spotless room and bathroom. For this they pay a $10 cleaning fee.

But because the bathroom is shared it is not always spotless.  And while my kithchen is clean, it is not always tidy.

What should I do?  Raise my rates and clean the bathroom and kitchen daily? I prefer the budget service because this is what most guest want, but I am getting fatigued by guests rating me on the tidiness of my kitchen silverware drawer.

How do other manage guests expectations of sharing a bathroom and kitchen?

While I am happy with my 4 star average, I am getting afraid of Airbnb insistence that my house be perfect

(of  courese, they don't do the work...)

13 Replies 13
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul154

Tough one - if you are happy with 4 star ratings then why change? If they start over time to drift down then it's a problem.

On the other hand, how much would it increase your nightly rate to have someone come in once a day for an hour to do a clean. Might be worthwhile...?

Thanks for your response. This ultimately is my question. 

Do I stop providing budget housing?

A housekeeper would be $25/hour.

My rates would increase 50%.

I would love a professional to maintain the cleaning of my house, but am afraid I will lose my revenue.

I feel overwhelmed. Corporate Hotels know how to wring out the expense of maintaining housekeeping. They can continuouly have housekeepers available and busy, because some guests leave at 8 am, some at noon. It is hard for me to say to my housekeeper, I may want you at 8, but it might be noontime (and then you'll have to work quickly}

And they know how to get the best revenue/expense dollar.

And ultimately, If i get daily professional help, can i get more revenue and will I get 5 stars.

I just don't know

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I looked at your listings, @Paul154.  It appears that most of your guests are quite happy with both the space and you as a host.  However, I learned about the shared bathroom and the long term guests from the reviews.  Perhaps you can set correct expectations a little better in your descriptions.  Some guests thought the host would be sharing the space not other guests.  Beef  up your description should address guest perception should be an easy fix.

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Im in the same boat as you where the guests enjoy 1.5 shared bathrooms.  I check them when I wake up in the morning and throughout the day to make sure they are clean. A simple scrub of the tub and floor and a wipe of the mirror is usually all it takes for daily cleaning. Outside of that not sure what else the guest expects.

In regards to your photos you may wish to remove the one where your address is clearly marked unless you like uninvited guests who want to "preview" your house before booking aka casing it for things to steal. Also, one guest left a review that the dining room wasn't available but you state it is. Just curious. Ive removed all access to stove and oven for guests use as it became a headache to deal with all of the smells and guests weren't as clean as they like to think.

Best of luck.

Thank you for your response.

I have been toying with removing the oven and perhaps the stove.

It only causes problems and opens me up to guests' high expectations and dissappointment.

Now that I am thinking about it, I also should clear out my cupboards and only leave an easier to manage barebone 4 glasses, 4 plates, 2 pans, 2 pots...

My lifestyle might actually improve

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

These are merely my opinions:

I agree you should remove your address. And correct your ad to say the dining room is not available. And be clear it is a shared bathroom with other guests. Sounds like you need to work on your ad a little 🙂

As far as cleaning goes... would you consider foregoing the $10 cleaning fee?  Its only $10 and its not like youre paying a cleaning person. My guess is because theyre paying a cleaning fee theyre expecting 5 star, not 4 star cleaning. Doesnt matter if its $10 or $100, theyre expectations are higher now.

If Im home, i always spot check the bathroom/kitchen after a guest uses it.

Good luck!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Paul154

Paul, that is a really nice post, and I along with every one else empathise with you. You are the type of character Airbnb used to aspire to. You provide a value package, and there is a message there for many!

I don't think guests are becoming more picky, but then again I am not in your situation...guests are 'out there' in the rear garden, they are not in my house. 

Possibly you may need to emphasise your situation just a bit more to guests before they arrive Paul....

Maybe something along the lines of.....

"The phylosophy behind Airbnb is to make a guest feel welcome in my house....and that is what I do! I am not room 775 in the Downtown Hilton, I am me. I will prepare for you in the best way possible, but please remember that this is my house and I have to live here, you are here for a visit! Sometimes there will be a dish or two in the sink...sometimes that bath matt won't be folded away, just as I am sure would be the case in your house at times. What I am offering you is a warm welcoming environment and I hope that this will be your expectation....and what you will find"!!

By saying that Paul....or something similar, you are throwing out the welcome matt, but you are telling them that it is a shared environment.

Maybe it is worth a go...cheers.....Rob

Rob,

That was stated so beautifully.

This IS the airbnb "experience" 

I need to own it and be proud of it.

Thank you

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Paul154

I am finding more and more on the forum Paul I am asked about how to handle difficult reviews....in fact I have a recent post on it.

The beauty of the English language Paul, it's like a jigsaw puzzle, the words are the pieces, there are always the appropriate words!

The trick is to find the appropriate spaces to put them!

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/How-to-handle-those-difficult-reviews/m-p/298189#M69017

All the best Paul, that was a lovely well crafted post, I appluad you!

Cheers.....Rob

Linda_Paul0
Level 2
Frisco, TX

This has been a helpful conversation. Thanks to all.  It uncovers two sets of assumptions that need to match better in our listings.  (1) That because they are paying a $10 cleaning fee, they need to be informed about what that does and does not include; (2) I need to update my listings with some specifics instead of assuming that others’ definition of “common sense courtesy” is the same as mine.  Of course it’s not.  So — thanks for helping me figure out what I need to do to have the best possible match between guest expectations and guest experience without reneging on my own life quality and standards.  

Fouad13
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

Shared bathroom entails serious health problems. Immagine you are sharing the same bathroom with other 4 people, what are you going to do, whan you are in urgent need for using the bathroom and it is occupied? I think airbnb should be banned.

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

Hehehe, got to love a troll. 

@Fouad13 

Growing up with 6 people in the house - we 4 kids all shared one bathroom. How the $%# did we survive?

You can survive perfectly fine. No bathroom schedule needed.